The cigar: Oliva Series V Torpedo

Nutritional information
Vitola: torpedo 6x56
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Sungrown
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

The Marketing:
From Oliva:Serie V is a complex blend of Nicaraguan long filler tobaccos. Blended with specially fermented Jalapa Valley ligero, and finished with a high
priming Habano Sun Grown Wrapper.
Wrapper: Habano Sun Grown
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Jalapa Valley Ligero
Vitolas: 7 Natural

From CI:
All the ligero you could ask for!

Also known as ’Ligero Especial’, the Serie V from Oliva is an enchanting Nicaraguan puro chock full of flavorful goodness. On the outside, a beautiful Habano Sun Grown wrapper glistens with oils. Thick and smooth as silk, this impressive leaf conceals a powerful, yet balanced and smooth blend of aged Nicaraguan ligero from the Jalapa Valley of Nicaragua. The smoke is full-bodied and full-flavored, offering layers of coffee, spice, and tobacco flavors, with a touch of dark, unsweetened chocolate on the finish.

Great news, the Serie V from Oliva received an amazing 94-point rating, which noted: "This attractive, oily torpedo is full of dynamic nut, wood, and sweet cedar flavors that frame a substantial leather core. The finish is long and rich. Tasty and complex."

But that’s not all. Serie V was also named one of Cigar Aficionado’s top 25 cigars of the year. It was #4, to be exact!

I received this cigar in a blind tasting (thanks, AD720!). Sadly, I didn't have my camera with me, as I had an unexpected opportunity to smoke and wasn't planning to do this review. My apologies.

Prelight: This cigar was a hefty, well-filled torpedo. It had a smooth colorado maduro wrapper, much prettier than many sungrowns, with only small veins. The bunching was good, no stems visible, with a small swirl of dark ligero at the center. When I sliced it, I got a great cold draw and definite sweetness and spice.

Burn/construction: Excellent. Easy to light, excellent draw, perfect burn.

Flavor: I toasted the foot until it was glowing, then took my first draw. I tasted some sweet spice -- not pepper -- and caramel. The draw was quite good, easy with just a little resistance. The ash was very white, the burn very straight, and the smoke plentiful. I settled in, expecting to enjoy this cigar.

And I did, for more than 90 minutes. The flavor was great: smooth, cool smoke, with a core of sweetness, balanced with baking spices. The smoke was light to medium in body, with a clean finish. The flavor profile stayed pretty consistent throughout. In the second third, the sweetness strengthened and the spice deepened. I got the occasional note of lemon (!), vanilla, caramel. This progression continued, with the body building toward medium, and by the last third I was really enjoying the sweetness, the spice, and the notes of amaretto. It was very flavorful, tasty treat.

Simply put, a great cigar.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:43 AM 11-03-2008
Nice review! These are great cigars.
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:50 AM 11-03-2008
These are yummy sticks..thanks for the write up Eddie
[Reply]
AD720 09:53 AM 11-03-2008
One time where I acutally think CA is not completly full of sh*t.

Great review Eddie. :-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 10:01 AM 11-03-2008
Great review. I can't frickin' wait!
[Reply]
G G 10:23 AM 11-03-2008
Gotta get some of these, they sound great. Thanks for the review.:-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:33 AM 11-03-2008
the whole V series is great, my fav so far is the Belicoso, I liked that a bit better then the torpedo.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:26 PM 11-03-2008
here's my review

A beautiful oily Habano sun grown wrapper with a deep aroma, like hay but with a little sweetness that comes in a 6 inch size and a 56 ring gauge. The filler is a ligero from the Jalapa valley.

The cigar has a typical Oliva flavor, something you can even taste in their budget lines even though there is a huge difference between all the lines. The V is the strongest of their lines and this torpedo has a flavor of black pepper and leather. The leather is slowly growing in strength and towards the end the cigar gains power and the leather is accompanied by some toast.

This torpedo missed the complexity of the belicoso; the flavor is consistent but not really complex. The smoke is full, thick and plenty, the ash is close to white.

Would I buy this cigar again? I think I will stick to the belicoso of the V series

Construction: 16 / 20
Draw: 14 / 20
Appearance: 16 / 20
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 16 / 20
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 8 / 10
[Reply]
Mugen910 01:42 PM 11-03-2008
Great combination of reviews...you guys really helped explain this cigar..

Originally Posted by ggainey:
Gotta get some of these, they sound great. Thanks for the review.:-)
DONE!
[Reply]
G G 01:55 PM 11-03-2008
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Great combination of reviews...you guys really helped explain this cigar..

DONE!
It wasn't a hint Bao, just a general comment, but I thank you anyhow.:-)
[Reply]
BlackIrish 01:57 PM 02-03-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
the whole V series is great, my fav so far is the Belicoso, I liked that a bit better then the torpedo.
Just had the belicoso the other night. I agree: it is even better. The flavors seemed richer and more concentrated. What a great line of cigars. I've got a lancero tucked away from a MAW (thanks PapaJohn!) that I can't wait to smoke.
[Reply]
roughrider 05:26 PM 02-03-2009
Thanks for the review. One of my favorites.
[Reply]
Yazzie 05:40 PM 02-03-2009
Great Review Eddie....I am almost through a box of these absolutely love em....:-)
[Reply]
karmaz00 05:54 PM 02-03-2009
love theses cigars...thanks for the review
[Reply]
greenwit 08:18 PM 02-03-2009
A 'wow' cigar in my book. I always have either the belicoso or robusto in my humidor.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 09:22 PM 02-03-2009
Great review!! Serie V are one of my go-to smokes. Keep the reviews coming!
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:50 PM 02-05-2009
I haven't had a bad V yet!!!

Thanks for the review!!!

I think the Lancero is my favorite, but I smoke the Torpedo often because that is what my B&M carries!!!
[Reply]
BigJonMoo73 09:21 PM 03-27-2009
I'm enjoying my first Olive V Torpedo right now and I am really enjoying this thing. Very smooth and subtle. Still not sure how to taste the flavors (I'm a noob) but this smoke is very delightful.
[Reply]
Nabinger16 09:55 PM 03-27-2009
The V's are one of my favorites! Good review!
[Reply]
Bax 05:47 AM 03-28-2009
It's hard not to like these! :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up