Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Padilla Habano Burberry Perfecto
thebiglebowski 09:03 AM 04-17-2009
well, some of you may remember discussing this cigar last month over on this thread:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=burberry

last night, i decided to try one. now, i know i'm really opening myself up to some ridicule due to all the discussion recently around the gimmicky nature of gurkha, patel, etc - and let's face it, this is about as gimmicky as the come - so, fire away. i don't usually go for the silly stuff, but;

- padilla's generally been at least ok to me
- it's not much worse than all the barber pole stuff that's been showing up lately
- and i love burberry. i think it's a really cool fashion house. i'm not into "scents", but their cologne (brit) is really nice. so, put a plaid hat on me and call me a chav!

anyway - on to the cigar. construction looks very good. firm and feels substantial. has a very pungent pre-light aroma. hmm.

after lighting, the first 10 puffs or so were really acrid. kind've tasted like putting a battery on your tongue. was worried at this point that i've got a real stinker on my had. but then, it evened out. i think it was just something to do with the perfecto shape.

this cigar has a very floral aroma to the smoke and taste. almost minty too, the first half. not very complex. mint changed to a basic cedar flavor, again, staying on the light side, but not unpleasant. burned very well - a few touch-ups here and there, but nothing major. i drank some cheap evan williams bourbon with it and that seemed to go nicely. (if you're looking for a decent economical thrill, you can't beat evan!).

this cigar was easy to nose-exhale. i agree with what da klugs has discussed out here recently that exhaling an NC thru the nose can most times be a dangerous proposition. typically will bring tears to your eyes with most non cubans. not this one though. really got that floral-ness when exhaling thru the nose. i did this about 1/3 to 1/2 the time.

all and all, not a bad experience. would i buy this again? no, not for $7 per stick - not when i could have instead, say, an Upmann No. 2 for about the same price. it was fun smoking it though - and a decent cigar to give to the uninitiated looking to mooch. can't wait to see the look on their faces when i do!

cigar lasted about 100 minutes too, which was rather unexpected.

cheers!
[Reply]
Ratters 10:58 AM 04-17-2009
Got a 10 pack of these from joecigar, looking forward to giving them a shot. Nice review. :-)
[Reply]
borndead1 07:15 PM 04-17-2009
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski:

i drank some cheap evan williams bourbon with it and that seemed to go nicely. (if you're looking for a decent economical thrill, you can't beat evan!).

Evan Williams is the shiznit! Try it with a little club soda! :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:22 PM 04-17-2009
First I've heard of these!!!

Thanks for the review!!!
:-)
[Reply]
groogs 11:49 PM 04-17-2009
Thanks for the review, I have been wanting to try these, but I don't want to pay MSRP. I will grab some of these the next time I see them on sale, or the next time I go to Steve's house.:-)
[Reply]
Ratters 01:52 AM 04-18-2009
Exactly. :-)
[Reply]
Volt 04:37 AM 04-18-2009
Not sure about the cigar but,

"i drank some cheap evan williams bourbon with it and that seemed to go nicely. (if you're looking for a decent economical thrill, you can't beat evan!)."

I don't drink EV, I agree a budget bourbon, but their EVSB which is 10 years old however, is nothing like regular EV at all. Absolutely great stuff. It is my preffered bourbon, but typically not in bars. Unfortuantly it's has been going up in price these past few years as more people hear about it. Used to be ~$20 or so, now $23 - $25 depending on where you find it.
[Reply]
shortstory5 11:52 PM 04-18-2009
Thanks for the review. It might have convinced me to smoke mine. By looking at it, I figured it would unravel/have tons of burn issues, so I decided to just let it sit. I wasn't going to put myself through what I thought was going to be a poor smoking experience. Glad to hear it was constructed well. Maybe I'll fire it up this week.
[Reply]
Up