Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Montecristo white label rothschilde
Don Fernando 10:18 AM 04-05-2009
This 5 x 52 Rothschild comes in a cellophane wrapper and once released I see a nice looking cigar with a light but smooth wrapper which doesn’t contain a lot of veins. Due to the color of the wrapper I think it’s a shade grown wrapper. The aroma is peppery with some wood and hints of a barnyard. The cigar feels well constructed although the fire side is a bit softer than the rest of the cigar. The predraw is on the easy side and leaves me with a light flavor of raisin on the lips.

I could taste some cedar wood, not bad but I had better. My mouth goes dry due to the texture of the smoke. After an inch the texture becomes a bit buttery but flavorwise it’s still the same cedar, although the flavor becomes a bit more appealing to me after 1/3rd. The flavor doesn’t change at all, until I get close to the turning point, where I discovered some nut flavors.

The amount of smoke is on the low side, but because of the firm ashes the smoke & ash still gets a 7 out of 10. The draw is on the light side of ok and the burn is fine. Medium to mild bodied, mild flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, I don’t care much for this cigar.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Aroma (first part) 6 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 6 / 10
Aroma (last part) 6 / 10
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:45 AM 04-05-2009
And then you really have to ask yourself are they really worth the $202 per box of 27 price?

Thanks for the review and photos on this cigar Ferdinand:-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 11:50 AM 04-05-2009
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
And then you really have to ask yourself are they really worth the $202 per box of 27 price?
in my opinion? No, they aren't even worth half that price. You can get the real deal for $202 a box at the well known online suppliers.
[Reply]
SmoknTaz 11:59 AM 04-05-2009
I actually enjoyed the first one that I had. Buttery smooth and mild, maybe that's why. But I would have to agree that it's over priced. Thanks for the review. :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 12:29 PM 04-05-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
You can get the real deal for $202 a box at the well known online suppliers.
I hear you there Ferdinand:-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 03:25 PM 04-05-2009
I'm a fan of these, myself.

Surprised you rated it with 7's, an 8, and nothing below a 6. Thanks for the descriptive review. You were spot on with the flavor profile. :-)
[Reply]
BillyCigars 03:29 PM 04-05-2009
Good review!

I actually like these a great deal myself.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:38 AM 04-06-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:

Surprised you rated it with 7's, an 8, and nothing below a 6. Thanks for the descriptive review. You were spot on with the flavor profile. :-)
the draw, construction, appearance are all 7 & 8's because there is nothing wrong with that. The flavor, which is more important to me, is all 6'es, and that is below average.
[Reply]
e-man67 06:45 AM 04-06-2009
I really like these as a lighter smoke...a creamy nutty ultra smooth cigar that I have never had an issue with...they are overpriced...try the platinums for a fuller bodied smoke...really love those.
[Reply]
BlackIrish 07:10 AM 04-06-2009
Thanks for the review, Ferdinand. Have some of these in my humi but haven't smoked them yet.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 06:47 PM 04-11-2009
smoking one right now from a recent bomb.
So far your review is spot on. From the dry smoke to the buttery aspects after an inch. I checked the online price of these before I light this up and was suprised at the cost. I also thought wow for that I would likely grab 2 boxes of monte#4.

The construction and burn are 9s for me. Almost perfect, the stick is requiring zero maintence. My issue like yours is flavor is my major factor and it is just above average for me. Holding my intrest just enough to keep me smoking it. I am guessing without the Nicaraguan long filler mixed with the Dominican I would have been bored and just grabbed a spare JLP. This stick reminds me of a Pepin blend but mellowed out to appeal to smokers who dont like the pepper bombs.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 07:12 PM 04-11-2009
Well now I dont know. The second half of this cigar the flavors picked up and I got a lot more pepper and coffee. Glad I stuck it out. I actually enjoyed the ending. Not 200 a box for me, but I wouldnt pass it up if someone handed me one.
Would still grab a monte 4 box or two over this, but not a bad 45 to 50 min.
[Reply]
bookman 07:35 PM 04-11-2009
Great review. love the pics. I like the milds, but don't pay more than $4 a stick. I love the mont trademark "bite".
[Reply]
Bax 07:58 PM 04-11-2009
Nice revew. I used to love these, but my tastes have moved on to bigger and better things... luckily less expensive Montes:-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 08:01 PM 04-11-2009
Good review..although I tend to like the whites quite a bit
[Reply]
Up