Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Vintage Vuelta Abajo
lenguamor 12:25 AM 01-21-2009
Oh, that second set has a lot greater detail; you can see a lot of the brand labels on the boxes in the display case.

You know what surprises me, is how many of those brands were Italian cigars; Toscanos or Sigarettos. They might have been made in Italy, or made here with Italian tobacco, or manufactured here from domestic tobacco - but in the rough, Italian style.

It just surprises me from the standpoint of how little demand there is now for cigars from that era in that style, compared to Clear Havanas and other domestically-made cigars; yet back then, they seemed to be quite popular.
[Reply]
tzaddi 10:43 AM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
Oh, that second set has a lot greater detail; you can see a lot of the brand labels on the boxes in the display case.

You know what surprises me, is how many of those brands were Italian cigars; Toscanos or Sigarettos. They might have been made in Italy, or made here with Italian tobacco, or manufactured here from domestic tobacco - but in the rough, Italian style.

It just surprises me from the standpoint of how little demand there is now for cigars from that era in that style, compared to Clear Havanas and other domestically-made cigars; yet back then, they seemed to be quite popular.
Yes, not many blenders include the Italian leaf these days. I have heard Ozenger discuss it before.

If you are interested I can arrange for you to have an even higher resolution image of some of the photos I have posted here (PM me). One of the members of the cigar club sat next to me at the computer as we carefully examined the photos, identifying the brands. This is his assigned task for his initiation into the club.

This shop was also a rolling factory as this photo that includes John Bartosh indicates.

This photo was taken on the same day as the very first one in the post.

This shop received Havana leaf to roll their own cigars as this local newspaper ad indicates.

Historically it is important to note the racism implied by this ad. It was a dark time in this countries history when at the Federal level of government we had the Chinese Exclusion Act, forbidding the immigration of the Chinese.

Potts was the owner before Bartosh… and so concludes are history lesson for this morning :-)
[Reply]
Jay Hemingway 10:57 AM 01-21-2009
would love to try one of those foil wrapped cigars! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:20 AM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by Jay Hemingway:
would love to try one of those foil wrapped cigars! :-)
Doesn't look like there's any more to be had anywhere on the planet.
Check Joe's sales. He always has awesome super old stuff for sale. I still have a couple 100 year old Betsy Ross' that I'm gonna smoke with a buddy this spring.
I might have to go Joe shopping myself...
:-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 06:56 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
Check Joe's sales. He always has awesome super old stuff for sale. I still have a couple 100 year old Betsy Ross' that I'm gonna smoke with a buddy this spring.
I might have to go Joe shopping myself...
:-)
Back when I acquired these, I was flush and could have bought as many as were available; but only that one box was.

I'd hate to tell you what I paid for these, though. :-) Let's just say they were dear.

I am posting some "new" old sticks up by tomorrow morning - keep an eye out.
[Reply]
Jay Hemingway 08:37 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:

aaawww man...guess i'll just have to suffer and smoke these. :-)
Attached: cigar 095.jpg (102.9 KB) 
[Reply]
HK3- 08:48 PM 01-21-2009
Damn, are those for me? :-) I guess that's what they call dunhills? :-):-)

Nice sticks Jay. Which ones are those and how do they smoke?
[Reply]
shilala 09:21 PM 01-21-2009
I need one of those for my displayador.
Wanna trade? :-)
[Reply]
G G 02:51 PM 03-01-2009
Enjoyed this thread, super guys.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up