Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Cusano Habano LXI Sun Grown Preferido
UPHOTO 07:34 PM 01-09-2009
Grabbed one of these at Fumare (local B&M store) and decided to give it a try tonight.

A little about the cigar......

"Cusano LXI Habano Sun Grown is the fullest bodied offering in the Cusano line. The wrapper leaf is owned exclusively by Cusano and is the key component in balancing this blend’s multiple ligero filler. This cigar produces many earthy sensations, with peaty notes that blend well with a slight floral-like aroma. The finish is very long, leaving the palate engulfed in a thick, rich smoke that contains ample spice and pepper, but is very smooth. The term LXI is the Roman numeral equivalent of 61, Mike Cusano’s birth year, which denotes the beginning of Cusano’s new status as a fully integrated grower and roller of specialty cigars."

Beautiful cigar and a great shape. Bought it a few weeks ago and have had it in my cooler at 64% ever since.

Construction was top notch, the wrapper was split a little at the foot but no issues there.

Burn was the only issue I had with this cigar. Took a while to light even with such a small pointed foot, which was odd but a problem I ran into the whole time smoking it. I gave this cigar a lot of attention and it still went out at least 4 times. Drove me nuts and finally gave up on it at about the final third.

Taste was GREAT! Never have tasted such a strong dark cherry flavor in a cigar before. Had a tiny bit of black pepper on the tongue but not really strong. Nice toasty, cherry tastes thru the whole smoke.

I think I'll give one another try because I've had issues with Cusano cigars before and had them vary a lot in quality or taste.

aaron
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 08:48 PM 01-09-2009
Never had one but I bought one for a friend over Christmas who seemed to like it. He usually smokes Cusano 18s that I bring him and I thought this would be a good change of pace. He also mentioned the strength, but then again he is a lightweight so I have no doubt he felt it.

Glad you enjoyed the taste.
[Reply]
shemp 05:28 PM 02-24-2009
yep these are very tasty! very good review
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:29 PM 02-24-2009
Glad the flavor was good... the name is way too long!!
[Reply]
roughrider 12:04 PM 03-01-2009
I've been wanting to try one these. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
greenwit 02:25 PM 03-01-2009
I had one of these today in fact. Didn't get off to a promising beginning. Such a weird shape and the rollers had some trouble as the foot was mushy with an uneven fill. I was surprised the stick didn't give me much of a burn problem beyond the first 1/2 inch.

Didn't taste peppery at all to me....very sweet at the beginning as the wrapper taste predominates then the smoke got fuller with leather and wood.

Good smoke I suppose though it doesn't fit what I like in a flavor profile.
[Reply]
Starscream 06:50 PM 03-01-2009
Thanks for the review.:-)
[Reply]
Up