Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Looking for a "Degree" in Cigars
djturnz 10:41 AM 12-03-2020
I recently took a part time job as a Tobacconist at my local Lounge. I was thinking I'd look into an online degree/ certification of some kind.

Looking for suggestions or your own experinces.
[Reply]
jonumberone 11:34 AM 12-03-2020
There's a cigar shop about a half an hour from my house in Princeton NJ that offered Tobacconist type classes.
I don't know if they offer it as an online class.

https://tobacconistuniversity.org/index.php

I think Cigars International also offered classes at one time called "Blend Lab" or something like that.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 01:01 PM 12-03-2020
https://premiumcigars.org/education/
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 02:03 PM 12-07-2020
One of the biggest ripoffs going. They charge you an arm and a leg to "teach" you stuff you already know. These forums are much more useful if you want to learn more.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:59 PM 12-09-2020
If you are interested in horticulture and real scientific stuff related to tobacco, I am sure there are advanced courses/degrees offered in Cuban Universities. They'll be in Spanish tough.

I could've sworn Davidoff offered something in Europe around the retail aspect of tobacco.
[Reply]
kydsid 08:51 AM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
If you are interested in horticulture and real scientific stuff related to tobacco, I am sure there are advanced courses/degrees offered in Cuban Universities. They'll be in Spanish tough.

I could've sworn Davidoff offered something in Europe around the retail aspect of tobacco.
While I don't think there is a specific degree for tobacoo in a US university (and I'd question the usefulness of said degree honestly) there is plenty of scientific (horticulture) knowledge for tobacco in US universities and insitutions, it just isn't specifically highlighted (especially online anymore). The USDA operated a Tobacco Research facility in North Carolina until the early 2000s, and you can still drive past huge fields of tobacco across North Carolina, Kentucky and Tennesse. It's just all for export mostly. Extension offices in these states still have quite a bit of expertise with tobaco and host a lot of info online (NC State Univ has a lot of online info). NC State actually operates a Tobacco & Field Crop pathology lab too.

Some online info for extension offices etc does get into flavors, curing techniques etc that has applicablity to the retail side and knowledge etc. Just like with wine or anything agricultural really, I have always found you really can't be a retail expert unless you know the production side and how it works and why. :-)
[Reply]
Up