Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 25 of 29
« First < 15232425 2627 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>nice rums?
wayner123 02:51 PM 12-20-2011
Have any of you tried either of these two rums?

Ron Zacapa 15yr
English Harbor 5yr

If so, what did you think of them?
[Reply]
Bill86 02:56 PM 12-20-2011
Nope never seen the 15 year Zacapa. Didn't even know they made one.
[Reply]
wayner123 05:15 PM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Nope never seen the 15 year Zacapa. Didn't even know they made one.
From the reviews I have read it's less sweet than the 23yr. But a lot of rum drinkers prefer ti over the 23 because of that. I am wanting to do a side by side of it and Zaya Guat.
[Reply]
Bill86 05:19 PM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
From the reviews I have read it's less sweet than the 23yr. But a lot of rum drinkers prefer ti over the 23 because of that. I am wanting to do a side by side of it and Zaya Guat.
No kidding, interesting. I'll need to look into trying it.
[Reply]
RGD. 10:09 PM 12-20-2011
Have any of you tried either of these two rums?

Ron Zacapa 15yr
English Harbor 5yr

If so, what did you think of them?
The Ron Zacapa 15 year is on my to buy list. I had a glass several years ago at a friends house that he got up in PA. I don't remember it very well at the moment. Hoping to run across a bottle some time without having to order it.

The English Harbor 5 year. I do have a bottle of that. I have had a couple tall shots of it. The first taste has an above average bite that really sits on the tip of the tongue with a strong brown sugary taste. No real burn going down but a nice feeling of warmth. The next sip is smooth with a brown sugary caramel allspice aftertaste with no tongue bite. Waiting 5 minutes or so between sips brings back the tip of the tongue bite for me.
On a scale of 1-10 I'd put it around a 6.5/7. Overall it's a nice addition to the rum shelf.

Ron
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:11 AM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by RGD.:
The Ron Zacapa 15 year is on my to buy list. I had a glass several years ago at a friends house that he got up in PA. I don't remember it very well at the moment. Hoping to run across a bottle some time without having to order it.

The English Harbor 5 year. I do have a bottle of that. I have had a couple tall shots of it. The first taste has an above average bite that really sits on the tip of the tongue with a strong brown sugary taste. No real burn going down but a nice feeling of warmth. The next sip is smooth with a brown sugary caramel allspice aftertaste with no tongue bite. Waiting 5 minutes or so between sips brings back the tip of the tongue bite for me.
On a scale of 1-10 I'd put it around a 6.5/7. Overall it's a nice addition to the rum shelves.

Ron
Fixed that for ya.
[Reply]
wayner123 07:20 AM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by RGD.:

On a scale of 1-10 I'd put it around a 6.5/7. Overall it's a nice addition to the rum shelf.

Ron
Thanks for the reviews. I have read that English Harbor can be a great rum for the money, it just needs to oxidize a bit. I am going Thursday to pick up that bottle of Zacapa 15 yr. Hopefully I'll find some other dusties too.
[Reply]
RGD. 09:23 AM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Fixed that for ya.
:-)

Ron
[Reply]
RGD. 12:16 PM 12-23-2011
Got a few bottles of Ron Santa Teresa Selecto Extra-Premium Aņejo Rum on the way. Blend of up to ten year aged rums.

Ron

[Reply]
rizzle 12:20 PM 12-23-2011
Ron, how is that supposed to compare to the 1796, which is one of my favorites?
[Reply]
RGD. 01:20 PM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Ron, how is that supposed to compare to the 1796, which is one of my favorites?
Don't know yet - have never had it. It normally sells for between $30-$35 a bottle and getting it on sale for $17 a bottle.

I don't imagine it will be on the same level as the 1796, might end a mixer who knows. For the price though, and it was on my to buy list, its hard to pass up. Will let you know next week when it gets here.

Ron
[Reply]
INT 01:53 PM 12-23-2011
Don Q anejo and gran anejo.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:07 PM 12-23-2011
I have a new favorite.....Legendario Cuban Rum.

Thank you to some Santas in Canada for gifting it to me. :-)
[Reply]
SNKBYT 02:34 PM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I have a new favorite.....Legendario Cuban Rum.

Thank you to some Santas in Canada for gifting it to me. :-)
Havana Club (Cuba) thanks to a Canuck
[Reply]
Django 03:00 PM 12-25-2011
Got a Matusalem Gran Reserva under the tree from my mother in law :-)
[Reply]
RGD. 08:52 PM 12-25-2011
Originally Posted by Django:
Your mother-in-law has excellent taste! Enjoy it!

Ron
[Reply]
Frodo 02:52 AM 12-26-2011
Originally Posted by Django:
Ooooo that is good stuff...:-)
[Reply]
wayner123 05:40 PM 12-26-2011
So I compared the Zacapa 15 Anos Friday night. It tastes much like the Zaya Guat, except it has a bit more scotch? taste to me. It tastes a bit more grown up if that makes any sense. It is certainly less sweet than the Zacapa 23 Solera. And the vanilla is not as pronounced. As of right now the Zacapa 15 Anos is my new favorite. Too bad they discontinued it as well.

However, this may not hold as the new fav as the stupid cork broke off into the bottle. I hope it won't affect flavor, but then again I can't be certain.

The place I got it from did have some interesting bottles. A Ron Millonario which I almost thought was a an old full palm weave Zacapa. And they also had one I have been wanting to try... Zafra.
[Reply]
RGD. 03:09 AM 12-31-2011
So I compared the Zacapa 15 Anos Friday night. It tastes much like the Zaya Guat, except it has a bit more scotch? taste to me. It tastes a bit more grown up if that makes any sense. It is certainly less sweet than the Zacapa 23 Solera. And the vanilla is not as pronounced. As of right now the Zacapa 15 Anos is my new favorite. Too bad they discontinued it as well.

However, this may not hold as the new fav as the stupid cork broke off into the bottle. I hope it won't affect flavor, but then again I can't be certain.

The place I got it from did have some interesting bottles. A Ron Millonario which I almost thought was a an old full palm weave Zacapa. And they also had one I have been wanting to try... Zafra.

Thanks for the notes. Will have to see if I can get in a bottle or two.

I do have a bottle of the Zafra, haven't cracked it yet. Might do that tonight.

Ron
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:38 PM 05-04-2012
So I'm coming back from Mexico today and stop by the duty free. Hmm, Zacapa 23. I remember seeing it mentioned in this thread so I grab a bottle. Go to pay and find out two bottles are a special deal price. Okay, so I bought two. Having my first taste right now. :-)
[Reply]
Page 25 of 29
« First < 15232425 2627 > Last »
Up