Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>What Cigar(s) Is Clint Eastwood Smoking in Western
No1der 08:54 PM 01-31-2009
I was flipping channels and came across "For a Few Dollars More" and naturally I've seen pretty much all those Westerns but although I'd seen this a million times I never thought to think about what cigars Clint Eastwood is smoking in them?

Yeah, they are iconic as far as the "look" goes and I have no clue if Clint Eastwood even smoked or smokes cigars or if it was just for the films.

So the question is, does anyone know what brand of cigars he's smoking in those films?

Cheers,
Rob
[Reply]
Prospector 08:59 PM 01-31-2009
I don't actually know, but I always thought they looked like Parodi's.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 09:01 PM 01-31-2009
Originally Posted by Prospector:
I don't actually know, but I always thought they looked like Parodi's.
yup.. Cheroot kind of thing.
[Reply]
DocLogic77 09:03 PM 01-31-2009
I don't know...but I wish I looked as bad ass smoking one as Clint. :-)
[Reply]
No1der 09:04 PM 01-31-2009
Hmmm, well gang, it looks like we have a mystery on our hands.

Cheers,
Rob
[Reply]
No1der 09:10 PM 01-31-2009
Ok, according to WikiAnswers:

Originally Posted by :
Clint Eastwood said in a recent interview that he brought the cigars from the US & they were called "Virginians" & described them as a strong smoke that put him in a foul mood. He liked them cause the were long & skinny & he would chop them into thirds to fit in his pocket.

Traditional Toscani dry cured cigars (in the vein of DeNobili's) were my guess for a long time due to it being shot in Italy, but alas, this is not the case.

It has long been speculated that what he was smoking was the nub of a Marsh Wheeling cigar ( http://www.broadleafcigars.com/wheeling.htm ) which is probably the most period accurate smoke that you can still buy. They are a 7" x 34 ring smoke & can be considered hearty in comparison to other smokes of it's ilk.

I believe that Clint's "Virginian" brand smoke was any one of the million different Marsh Wheeling style knock off brands that was available in the 1960's. I can't find a google reference for it, so I am sure the brand is long dead & gone, but Wheeling's still exist if you want the experience.
Is anyone familiar with these at all?
[Reply]
acarr 10:46 PM 01-31-2009
You must have been watching AMC. I caught a couple of these today also.
[Reply]
alley00p 10:50 PM 01-31-2009
Originally Posted by DocLogic77:
I don't know...but I wish I looked as bad ass smoking one as Clint. :-)
:-) :-)
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 10:56 PM 01-31-2009
I was thinkin backwoods :-)
[Reply]
No1der 11:32 PM 01-31-2009
Originally Posted by acarr:
You must have been watching AMC. I caught a couple of these today also.
Yup, you guessed correctly. I dunno about you but whenever I come across one of these on tv I just end up watching.

Still, if anyone has any info on those cigars that I posted above I'd love to know more.

Cheers,
Rob
[Reply]
bobarian 12:19 AM 02-01-2009
There was a scene(Josie Wales, I think) where he bought a bunch while resupplying. I remember him grabbing a handful and they looked like they were about 6" which would be the size of the Wheeling Virginian. But the ones he always pulled from his pocket were much shorter. :-)
[Reply]
No1der 12:58 AM 02-01-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
There was a scene(Josie Wales, I think) where he bought a bunch while resupplying. I remember him grabbing a handful and they looked like they were about 6" which would be the size of the Wheeling Virginian. But the ones he always pulled from his pocket were much shorter. :-)
Yeah, I do sort of remember that although I haven't seen the movie in a while.

I don't know how accurate the WikiAnswers post is but he claims that he brought them from the U.S. and cut them so they would fit in his pocket.

This is getting rather interesting.

Cheers,
Rob
[Reply]
stinkie 06:42 AM 02-01-2009
no1der. if you pm me your addy i will send you a 5er of marsh wheelings .

stinkie:-)
[Reply]
Hot Stuff x 07:06 AM 02-01-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
I was thinkin backwoods :-)
They didn't start making backwoods until mid-to-late 70's, IIRC.

Actually I just checked wikipedia, they say 1973.
[Reply]
Gargoyle 07:17 AM 02-01-2009
I wonder how much Clint's rep would fall if we found out that he smoked cremosas.
[Reply]
RottenZombie 03:14 PM 02-12-2009
Originally Posted by Gargoyle:
I wonder how much Clint's rep would fall if we found out that he smoked cremosas.
None,You gotta be a real Bad A$$ to smoke those.:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
robertw1249 04:53 PM 02-12-2009
in joise whale it was plug chewing tobacco and here is a site for small cigars named after him www.clintscigars.com i dont think its the kind he smoked in the movie but they look cool
[Reply]
jm0307 05:18 AM 02-13-2009
I too thought that he smoked De Nobili Toscani, which are also produced in the US:

[Reply]
jm0307 05:55 AM 02-13-2009
This is from the Clint Eastwood forum:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/...13733#msg13733

The sixth post asserts Toscani's by quoting a book:

"Cheroot" is another style of cigar. It's possible he smokes them in some Westerns. However, in the Leone films he was definitely smoking toscani.

See Christopher Frayling's Sergio Leone: Something to Do With Death (2000), p. 182-183."

I have no idea whether this is true, but it probably is, because the internet is a very reliable source of information. :-)
[Reply]
TreeFrog Frank 01:08 PM 02-13-2009
Speaking of Marsh Wheelings, there was mention of them on the Old Toby Podcast this past weekend. They were saying that at the store, Just For Him in Springfield MO, that they sell a bunch of MW when the Civil War re-enactors come to town. It is a period smoke, that is the only one allowed. Interesting that I saw mention of them, here.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up