Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Beetles
luther 10:08 PM 08-11-2016
Let me start off by saying I do not have beetles in either of my humidors but I still have a concern. I keep reading that my humidor should be at 70 degrees to prevent the bugs. However, we keep our AC set at around 74 or 75 to prevent insane energy costs. Am I taking a huge risk here? I have had my old humidor for ten years and have had no problems. If it matters as far as answers I live in the Midwest. Thanks!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:31 PM 08-11-2016
Hey L, there are lots of threads on beetles and freezing cigars, those should help and I believe you don't have as much to worry about until you are pushing 80 and above, again I would read through the threads, lots of great information by a lot of smart people!
[Reply]
luther 10:33 PM 08-11-2016
Thanks- I will do a better job of previewing threads in the future. Still getting used to this site. I love it. I've been smoking cigars for 13 years and I've learned a ton in the last week from all of you. Fun site
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:54 PM 08-11-2016
I was going to look for them and post them, but post herf and far too lazy :-)

Edit: ah hell here you go. Also I highly recommend signing up for the NST (newbie trade)!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919
[Reply]
Remo 11:21 PM 08-11-2016
Do you have a basement? I keep my smokes downstairs where it stays cooler.
[Reply]
oldforge 01:01 AM 08-12-2016
I have a ridiculous number of cigars and have had this hobby for more years than I am willing to admit and...have never had one beetle.

Not one.

Now granted I live in the NE but have no central air (just two window units in the house) and I am sure it has gotten above 75 degrees in areas where cigars are stored.

So do your research but--keep it in perspective.

Btw--in the future no beetles will be allowed to enter the US without proving FDA compliance. ;-)
[Reply]
sikk50 10:38 AM 08-12-2016
Came expecting some cigar gore. Thread fails to deliver
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:31 AM 08-12-2016
Keep the humidity a tad lower will help off set the higher temp risk.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 07:40 PM 08-12-2016
I routinely keep my house at 77 - 78 in the summer, and haven't had one beetle in the 8 yrs I've been here. That being said, I keep my stash right next to an A/C vent. ; )
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:54 AM 08-13-2016
I had an infestation in some fresh-rolled cigars I picked up in Ybor City once. Since then, I just freeze everything. If I want to smoke the sticks faster, I put them in tupperware or a ziplock bag with a little humidifying element and keep them isolated from the main stash. Well, stashes. (slippery slope and all!)

The above said, I think that, if you're buying from one of the big online sellers, you're probably pretty safe. If you're buying from a little shop, they just wouldn't have the same ways to control things.
[Reply]
Up