Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>halfwheel.com says Oliva being bought?
Brian D. 06:45 PM 06-27-2016
Rumor surfaced at a herf last week, the halfwheel article a couple days ago seem to confirm: Company in Belgium called J. Cortes Cigars is trying to buy up Oliva.

Boy I hate hearing about this stuff. When does a company's smokes ever get BETTER after a buy out?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:54 AM 06-28-2016
Better stock up.
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:33 AM 06-28-2016
Rumor is that nothing is going to change in the way of the blends. I heard that a lot of the boutique cigar companies are going to sell out and form a big conglomerate in order to fight the stupid a$$ FDA. Again, all rumor.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:13 AM 06-30-2016
I've been working for the Longfiller Company for the past 5 years, the official european distributer for Oliva and the importer for The Netherlands, so close to the source and I'm quite familiar with J. Cortes and I can tell you: its not a rumor, its 100% official since an hour ago.

Cortes bought everything but the farms, nothing will change, at least for now. Cortes knows everything about dry cigars, heck they even make the Oliva Viejo Mundo for Oliva, but needs the knowledge of the Oliva family and employees when it comes to premium longfillers so don't expect any changes in the near future.
[Reply]
Brian D. 01:09 PM 06-30-2016
Thanks for the information. Better a company like J. Cortes than a conglomerate like General or Altadis doing the purchase, I guess.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:08 PM 06-30-2016
or worse: Swisser. They were bidding too just like General, but Cortes won.

Cortes is a real (and independent) cigar manufacturer, family run business with passion for tobacco. So im not too worried for Oliva's future.
[Reply]
irratebass 09:12 AM 07-01-2016
This just popped up in my email feed

http://thecigarauthority.com/j-corte...liva-purchase/
[Reply]
czerbe 09:24 AM 07-01-2016
I was lucky enough to become friends with a Member of their Exec. Management team and we still keep in touch. I reached out to him and he sounded very excited about the whole deal he says Jose will still run the show back here. I wish them nothing but the best and can't wait to see what they produce. Just don't mess with my Oliva V hahah
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:19 AM 07-01-2016
Originally Posted by czerbe:
I was lucky enough to become friends with a Member of their Exec. Management team and we still keep in touch. I reached out to him and he sounded very excited about the whole deal he says Jose will still run the show back here. I wish them nothing but the best and can't wait to see what they produce. Just don't mess with my Oliva V hahah
This times 10,000.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 11:37 AM 07-01-2016
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I heard that a lot of the boutique cigar companies are going to sell out and form a big conglomerate in order to fight the stupid a$$ FDA.
Nice- I hope that helps.

Also... Hi, Dan! Long time no talk (from me, that is).
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:11 AM 07-02-2016
Originally Posted by czerbe:
Jose will be the CEO (which surprised me, as I expected him to be a full time politician), Gilberto will run the farms and be a consultant to the Oliva/Cortes company and Carlos will stay on board like nothing changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0_MJoxBPLQ
[Reply]
Up