Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>Blackberry or Iphone
The Professor 06:16 AM 04-03-2009
One other thing I forgot to suggest is that you should go try each out at the store. Some people REALLY like one interface or the other (touchscreen or physical kb) and the only way to really tell is to play with each ... ideally side-by-side.
[Reply]
King James 06:26 AM 04-03-2009
Originally Posted by goalie204:
I've read that the iphone doesn't have push email tho. I don't want to be sitting and waiting for an email, to know i have one, or have to check my email program every few minutes..
It does now since last software update
[Reply]
Blueface 07:29 AM 04-03-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
Not only that but if you have mobile me, no problem.

This is as great a debate as fake v. real or NC v. CC.
Both sides will like certain features.

I love my iPhone. Great toy. Have gotten use to the keyboard for texting although I would agree the Blackberry is better for that.
The internet, the email as you see it on your PC, the apps, way to much of a reason to get the iPhone.

On top of all that, you can buy the Mobile Stogie application.:-)
[Reply]
357 07:30 AM 04-03-2009
I've read that the iphone doesn't have push email tho.
Doesn't this somewhat depend on your mail server? From what I understand Windows Mobile is the only phone OS that can receive push e-mail from an Exchange server.

That's why I asked if you use Exchange at your work. If not then it doesn't make as much difference as far as pushing/pulling e-mail.
[Reply]
Pete 07:50 AM 04-03-2009
I like my iPhone. Texting was a big cumbersome at first, but quickly mastered the touch screen.

No probelm getting e-mails. They just pop up.

Plus, it has that ubiquitous i-pod receptacle that can play your music damn near anywhere these days.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 07:59 AM 04-03-2009
Not real techy ... but Microsoft Exchange on the server at the office pushes, email, calendar changes and contact changes to my iPhone. In fact, I ususally receive them on my phone a few seconds before they appear on my desktop at our satellite office. The only app that I have to manually synch is my task list updates.
[Reply]
The Professor 08:01 AM 04-03-2009
Originally Posted by 357:
Doesn't this somewhat depend on your mail server? From what I understand Windows Mobile is the only phone OS that can receive push e-mail from an Exchange server.

That's why I asked if you use Exchange at your work. If not then it doesn't make as much difference as far as pushing/pulling e-mail.
Sort of. From what I understand, you have to have email from a service that offers push in order for it to work on the iPhone. That means 3 main options: Gmail, business email from an Exchange server, or MobileMe. That said, I thought there were some power management issues associated with iPhone's push. :-)

BlackBerry, on the other hand, has BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) which acts as an intermediary between your email and your phone. BIS makes *any* email "pushed" to your phone in more-or-less realtime.

The pros and cons of BB vs. iPhone can go back and forth. Like I said before: if I was made of money, I'd probably do the iPhone. I'm a huge Mac fanboy; but I'm very happy with my choice to go with BB.

Ultimately, no one else can make this decision for you, though. You just need to go to the store and try both out for a little bit. :-)
[Reply]
357 11:48 AM 04-03-2009
I agree with The Professor on "try before you buy". Touch screens are all the rage, but if you do a ton of text/e-mail composition then you need to make sure the touch keyboard is to your liking.

I have no trouble with mine but I don't send e-mail or texts all day. Probably 10-15 short ones per day.
[Reply]
Blueface 12:36 PM 04-03-2009
There are some keyboard improvements coming to iPhone with the new 3.0.
Will allow horizontal typing. I currently use Easy Writer as an application to initiate horizontal typing. Just can't respond to emails using that same format.

I had a hard time at first with it but within a short while, I now fly on it.
I also have multiple email addresses like one with Bellsouth.net.
That email address pushes my emails just like the mac.com one that has mobile me.
Furthermore, whatever I open and delete on my iPhone is deleted from that account on my laptop so I don't have to see the mail again and again.
[Reply]
goalie204 06:07 AM 05-27-2009
still trying to figure this out. Thanks to everyone for the input...which just made it harder to decide! :-)
[Reply]
GTsetGO 06:18 AM 05-27-2009
i have the BB Storm and love the thing. My pearl was nice, but the storm is just that much better.

8 gb of memory and is easily expandable to 16 by just changing the sd card in the phone. now that the app store is open, it has pretty much everything that the iphone has
[Reply]
dunng 06:27 AM 05-27-2009
BlackBerry all the way for me... the IPhone is a toy. :-)
[Reply]
King James 08:09 AM 05-27-2009
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
i have the BB Storm and love the thing. My pearl was nice, but the storm is just that much better.

8 gb of memory and is easily expandable to 16 by just changing the sd card in the phone. now that the app store is open, it has pretty much everything that the iphone has
except wifi :-)

The new blackberry storm comes out in a few months and looks pretty sweet. They made some nice improvements and got rid of that stupid (to me) clicking.
[Reply]
s15driftking 08:13 AM 05-27-2009
we should get specific when we talk BB's. The new storm is terrible, the slightly older curve is amazing.

The iphone will always be the iphone (top dawg).

I dont own either phone and if i were to get a new phone i would get an iphone ONLY if verizon carried it. so my choice would have to be a BB because i never plan on leaving VZW, nor do i care to hear opinions of why i should, etc
[Reply]
GTsetGO 08:22 AM 05-27-2009
except wifi :-)

The new blackberry storm comes out in a few months and looks pretty sweet. They made some nice improvements and got rid of that stupid (to me) clicking.
my storm on the 3g network downloads data faster than my pearl did using wifi. so ehhh on the wifi. :-)
[Reply]
King James 08:40 AM 05-27-2009
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
my storm on the 3g network downloads data faster than my pearl did using wifi. so ehhh on the wifi. :-)
except for all the wonderful apps that are wifi only...such as slingplayer. Such a great app, but who needs it ONLY in wifi. Or in the places were you can't get 3G because (at least in my area) ATT sucks. Same reason slingplayer makes no sense for the iphone.

The Storm was made to compete with the iphone and I don't think it can begin to do so until it has WiFi.
[Reply]
JE3146 08:49 AM 05-27-2009
except for all the wonderful apps that are wifi only...such as slingplayer. Such a great app, but who needs it ONLY in wifi. Or in the places were you can't get 3G because (at least in my area) ATT sucks. Same reason slingplayer makes no sense for the iphone.

The Storm was made to compete with the iphone and I don't think it can begin to do so until it has WiFi.
That app applies to a very small group of people. Personally I'd take battery life over wifi.
[Reply]
goalie204 08:53 AM 05-27-2009
is the storm the touchscreen one? If so i'm not interested. I want a physical keyboard, and both the newer and older model curves have it + wifi
[Reply]
JE3146 09:09 AM 05-27-2009
is the storm the touchscreen one? If so i'm not interested. I want a physical keyboard, and both the newer and older model curves have it + wifi
Not all carriers carry the new curve. If they had, I would have went with the new curve or even the bold over the storm, but that wasn't an option. I went with the Storm due to it's improved features over the old curve. The touchscreen isn't 'That' bad. It has a high learning curve and a significant tolerance level. But it is manageable.
[Reply]
Thrak 09:55 AM 05-27-2009
Theres some misinformation in here.

They both have "push" emails.

Blackberry has a desktop redirector, BIS, or a BES.

iPhone uses ActiveSync just as a WinMo phone does, to connect to a corp Exchange server.

If this is going to be primarily a business connectivity device, the Blackberry wins HANDS DOWN.

If this is going to be a toy that you get emails on and some calendar/contact stuff to, then the iPhone wins.

So it really depends on:
1) what your primary purpose will be
2) which you type better on

Personally, with all the security issues with the iPhone, I'll be a BB guy for a LONG time.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up