Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 29 of 69
« First < 19272829 303139 > Last »
Discussion>Latest Pipe-Related Purchase Thread
Islayphile 09:12 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Great little web page Wayne for looking about for old and aged tin:-)

Nice looking pipe Mike...

Thanks

It caught my eye in a real way when I first saw it and I just had to have it.

Smokes like a freight train too

:-)
[Reply]
Islayphile 09:13 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer:
That savinelli is gorgeous!
Thanks, it truly is

Even more so in person
[Reply]
363 09:41 AM 12-10-2013
I love that shape. the author shape right? I was trying to recreate it myself but failed at my 1st atempt
[Reply]
Islayphile 11:47 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by 363:
I love that shape. the author shape right? I was trying to recreate it myself but failed at my 1st atempt
Yes sir, an author

Deceptively large bowl, feels great in hand and smokes very cool

It's my first 320 but it certainly won't be my last
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 02:01 PM 12-19-2013
Got 2 tins from CI using the 10 dollar gift email. Luckily my wife got one too.
One tin each of Escudo and Orlik. The Orlik is going to rest if my patience allows...
[Reply]
hammondc 09:09 AM 12-29-2013
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:

WANT!!! Must find.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 12:35 PM 12-29-2013
I caught the fever after seeing that Sav and am expecting mine tomorrow. It's the trevi instead of the st nick. I love the shape of an author.
[Reply]
MUNKY 09:30 PM 12-30-2013
Grabbed me a couple tins
[Reply]
hammondc 01:16 PM 01-01-2014
I've been looking for the St Nick, but no one seems to have them .I LOVE that Author shape and might have to hit to pipe shop to find something similar.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 02:40 PM 01-01-2014
Nice pickups on the Elizabethian and Brindle Flake.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 03:49 PM 01-01-2014
Picked up some crosseyed cricket and Elizabethan. Love the cricket but haven't cracked open elizabeth yet. Give me your take when you do. Didn't take long to get away from the burley I was gifted.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:42 PM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz:
Picked up some crosseyed cricket and Elizabethan. Love the cricket but haven't cracked open elizabeth yet. Give me your take when you do. Didn't take long to get away from the burley I was gifted.
The Cricket is an interesting smoke, you either love it of hate - at least that's that way I see it.

I haven't had any in a while, but it was an interesting smoke. I was more into English blends when I got mine first tin. I had someone give me the rest of the tin because they didn't like the top note it was finished with. I smoked up the rest of that tin, and I've gone through another since then, but it has been a while, as I haven't been smoking either English blends or Aromatics lately.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 06:05 PM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
The Cricket is an interesting smoke, you either love it of hate - at least that's that way I see it.

I haven't had any in a while, but it was an interesting smoke. I was more into English blends when I got mine first tin. I had someone give me the rest of the tin because they didn't like the top note it was finished with. I smoked up the rest of that tin, and I've gone through another since then, but it has been a while, as I haven't been smoking either English blends or Aromatics lately.

I like the cricket so far. I don't have enough experience to love it or hate it. It just IS for me currently. I see reviews that equate it to Hawaiian punch. I suppose some of the subtleties of pipe tobacco are lost on me. To date I've had: captain black about 10 years ago, pipe and cigars house burley cake and the cricket.

I loved the smell of the burley in the bag. In the pipe, not so much. I can't wait to try the Elizabethan

I'll probably post another query in the old farts thread soon. I'm still learning, but I can tell this is quite a different slope. No less steep, just different. :-)

And also with you.
[Reply]
Islayphile 04:08 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by hammondc:
I've been looking for the St Nick, but no one seems to have them .I LOVE that Author shape and might have to hit to pipe shop to find something similar.
Yeah, the 320 was the first to sell out on at least 2 different sites that I frequent.

I'm glad that I didn't hesitate, otherwise I'd be kicking myself square in the ass.

Keep looking, and if I happen to spy one, I'll let you know.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 05:16 AM 01-02-2014
Take Mike's advice too, it does smoke like a freight train!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:01 AM 01-02-2014
I like the cricket so far. I don't have enough experience to love it or hate it. It just IS for me currently. I see reviews that equate it to Hawaiian punch. I suppose some of the subtleties of pipe tobacco are lost on me. To date I've had: captain black about 10 years ago, pipe and cigars house burley cake and the cricket.

I loved the smell of the burley in the bag. In the pipe, not so much. I can't wait to try the Elizabethan

I'll probably post another query in the old farts thread soon. I'm still learning, but I can tell this is quite a different slope. No less steep, just different. :-)

And also with you.
Not a big fan of burley either. Smells nice to me in the pouch, but not a fan of the taste. It is supposed to have nutty flavors and such, and is supposed to be what our ancestors on this continent smoked a ton of. OK, I personally do not like it. Virginias and VaPers (Virginia/Perique blends) are my favorites. I will still smoke an occasional Latakia blend, and an aromatic might make it into the rotation.

Oh, here is a biggie. I do not know if you have read or heard this before, but do not expect the volume of smoke that you get out of a cigar when you smoke your pipe. To get that much smoke, you will burn out pipes and fry your tongue.

The best way to explain the perfect burn is to sip pipe tobacco.

Another thing is that a pipe kept in the mouth will smoke better and stay burning longer than a pipe held in the hand, just the simple movement of air in the mouth helps the tobacco to smolder perfectly.
[Reply]
Islayphile 06:37 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer:
Take Mike's advice too, it does smoke like a freight train!

Choo Choo

:-)
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 04:10 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Not a big fan of burley either. Smells nice to me in the pouch, but not a fan of the taste. It is supposed to have nutty flavors and such, and is supposed to be what our ancestors on this continent smoked a ton of. OK, I personally do not like it. Virginias and VaPers (Virginia/Perique blends) are my favorites. I will still smoke an occasional Latakia blend, and an aromatic might make it into the rotation.

Oh, here is a biggie. I do not know if you have read or heard this before, but do not expect the volume of smoke that you get out of a cigar when you smoke your pipe. To get that much smoke, you will burn out pipes and fry your tongue.

The best way to explain the perfect burn is to sip pipe tobacco.

Another thing is that a pipe kept in the mouth will smoke better and stay burning longer than a pipe held in the hand, just the simple movement of air in the mouth helps the tobacco to smolder perfectly.
Thanks for the tips Rev. I've learned that an ash cap helps greatly, similar to how I like to smoke cigars...

The Virgina I smoked was sipped so slow it kept going out. Then when using your method of just keeping it in your mouth, it was much more productive... Thanks for all the info!

[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:19 PM 01-03-2014
Thanks for the tips Rev. I've learned that an ash cap helps greatly, similar to how I like to smoke cigars...

The Virgina I smoked was sipped so slow it kept going out. Then when using your method of just keeping it in your mouth, it was much more productive... Thanks for all the info!

If you can find a place where there is a long time tobacconist who smokes a pipe, sitting with him and learning first hand will teach you tons. WHile you claim the difference was sipping -vs- sipping and keeping it in your mouth, it may have had to do with how you packed the different bowls too. Sipping is a learned art, it takes plenty of practice.

Keep trying new blends and practicing your technique.

[Reply]
stevieray 08:25 AM 01-05-2014
My journey into pipes begins with a few purchases. Grabbed a Savinelli Trevi 320 and cob pipe along with some Petersen Sunset Breeze, McClelland Holiday Spirt, and Mac Baren Plumcake.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 69
« First < 19272829 303139 > Last »
Up