Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Murcielago toro
borndead1 08:55 PM 12-26-2020
The Murcielago line has quite a history. I remember that the first generation were made by Pepin. I remember buying a few at a B&M. They were good smokes. After the first generation, they were made at Erik Espinosa's La Zona factory. I honestly don't remember if I ever tried them. Now apparently they are being made by A.J. Fernandez? :-) The blend and wrapper have changed on these things with each new version. The latest version has a dark maduro wrapper.

Well, whoever is making these things now, I hope they don't change a damn thing. First off, good burn and good draw. Just a few small corrections in the first 1/2".

This cigar starts off pretty 'strong', but soon settles into a nice medium 'strength' after the first 1/2". Pretty typical maduro flavors in the first half; cocoa/coffee and a bit of a woodsy flavor on the finish. Slow burner as well. I lit this baby up at 7:00 and at 7:42 I'm just reaching the halfway point.

After the halfway point, a little bit of a coconut flavor joins the cocoa and coffee. Let 'er die at around 1.5".

Final thoughts...this was not a complex cigar. But it was damn tasty and very well constructed. And you can get these for under $4/stick on C-Bid or Cigar Auctioneer. I've snagged 5-packs of these on C-Bid for $11. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:58 PM 12-26-2020
Good review of an enjoyable smoke.
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 09:36 AM 12-27-2020
Great review!! Just about everything from Espinosa smokes with bold, rich full bodied flavor and are priced very fairly imo. :-)
[Reply]
borndead1 08:21 PM 05-11-2021
Smoking one of these now. I've probably smoked at least 10 of these things since writing the review. I've yet to get a bad one. Really fantastic smokes and an incredible value.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:41 PM 05-11-2021
They definitely sound consistent, Mark. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:13 AM 05-12-2021
When I first saw the title, I thought someone was going to show off their new Lambo.
[Reply]
borndead1 08:41 PM 05-22-2022
Apparently this line is no longer being sold on Cbid or CI, but for some reason they are still being sold on Cigar Page, which is obviously owned by CI. :-)

OK, so all of these toros I've smoked so far over the past few years have been 5 packs from Cbid or Cigar Auctioneer. But back in May of 2021, I won a full box of these babies for $88. :-) I took a few out of the cello and let them sit for quite a while. Exactly 1 year now. Nice.

Believe it or not, the size and wrapper color were slightly different from the 5 packs. Imagine that! So shocking! :-)

Honestly, I was expecting this cigar to taste/burn differently from the 5 pack version. But believe it or not, this box version performed almost exactly like the fivers. Good burn/draw; flavors and aromas were almost exactly alike. I give props to Tabacalera Fernandez.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:29 AM 05-23-2022
:-)

I need to grab some more of these.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:32 AM 05-23-2022
Good news, Mark. :-)
[Reply]
The camaro show 01:27 PM 05-23-2022
One of my favorites at the moment! Perfect maduro that checks all the boxes.
[Reply]
Up