Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Coffee Discussion>Opinions on French Press?
bigliver 11:13 PM 12-30-2008
We have an expensive coffee maker and a 15 dollar french press. Even on busy mornings the french press wins out every time. My wife will not even drink coffee at the house if it is not made with the press. It just tastes better, not bitter, more creamy and flavorful.

We have a coffee grinder and grind our beans on the most corse setting. With that, we let the coffee sit once its in teh french press for a few minutes longer. We store them at room temperature in an airtight container. I have found that the freezer zaps the oils in the beans and leaves them somewhat lacking in flavor and profile.

Just my :-) anyway.
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 06:32 AM 12-31-2008
I've never read a French newspaper so I can't really comment about the Frech Press...:-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 04:09 PM 01-28-2009

Seriously. Can you smell it? That's a cap of freshly roasted daterra floating atop 48-ounces of soon-to-be-pressed coffee. French press? Yes. (Oui.)
[Reply]
burninator 01:06 PM 04-30-2011
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:

Seriously. Can you smell it? That's a cap of freshly roasted daterra floating atop 48-ounces of soon-to-be-pressed coffee. French press? Yes. (Oui.)
Did you drink this yet, Dan? It's probably nearly cold by now.
[Reply]
thebayratt 09:15 AM 05-01-2011
Once I got my press.... Mr Coffee was tossed.

I will never go back to another type. I would like a K-cup one day just for sh!ts n giggles, but at $90+... i doubt it will happen anytime soon.
[Reply]
Volusianator 02:23 PM 05-01-2011
Seriously. No. But damn I wish I could. :-)

Seriously. Can you smell it?

[Reply]
Jenady 01:25 PM 05-02-2011

Great picture Dan. Once my pot is ready to press I take a spoon and gently lift that cap out of the pot. I get a much cleaner pour.

I started out setting my Rocky grinder at 40 and steeped for 4 minutes. Now I am experimenting with the Rocky at 25 and steeping for 2-3 minutes. I use 195-200 degree water. I find that 4 minutes at this grind over extracts. The reults are very good. The character of the flavors is definitely improving.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:18 AM 05-03-2011
4 minute steep is too engraved into my routine from decades of making a french press to try something else. The numbers on a Rocky are not uniform, but I use a "40" setting too. When I had a good slotted spoon, I would lift the cap out before pressing. Makes for a "brighter, cleaner" taste. I like density of the regular method as well.
[Reply]
jcruse64 05:13 PM 05-03-2011

Funny aside that I came across today; In Metals Market, there was a blurb on Severstal CEO promoting their "tea boy" because he fashioned a corporate logo for the CEO and his visitors in their espressos, and amazed them all with his creativity. The kid is now with the boss on the private jet, serving there in his new job.
[Reply]
Dux 09:49 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by bigliver:
It just tastes better, not bitter, more creamy and flavorful.
I think that says it all! I just started using a French Press last month and I have no plans to use my coffee machine anytime soon!

Doug/Dux
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:30 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Dux:
I think that says it all! I just started using a French Press last month and I have no plans to use my coffee machine anytime soon!

Doug/Dux
:-)

I just bought a FP this past week and have used it a couple of times with some pre-ground coffee I've been using in my Kuerig. I'm already looking to sell the Kuerig to a friend. I don't drink coffee a lot, but was looking to get better results. The FP fits the bill. Wow, the flavor is soooo much better.

Now to get a burr grinder.

Another slippery slope, here I come....weeeeeee!!!!
[Reply]
w squared 02:33 PM 11-04-2011
French press + crappy grinder = 10 times better than drip.

French press + good grinder = even better!

The only reason that my French Press doesn't see more use is that I'm an espresso junkie.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:58 PM 11-04-2011
I love coffee made with a French Press, I have only compared home roast between a Keurig and french press. keurig works well, french press is great!
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 04:19 PM 12-31-2011
Can anyone post a link to a good value grinder to use so I can break in my new Bodum 3 cup french press?

Also a good place to grab a few different samples of beans?

Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
floydpink 04:36 PM 12-31-2011
For French press, I've had good luck with this
http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CLMBEPMCMAM#

I would also give Sweet Marias a shot for samplers if you're roasting or UncleBeanz if you're ordering it roasted. ( I personally love Unclebeanz Negrita)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:52 PM 03-27-2012
Anyone use a thermal FP? Thinking of getting one for the weekends when I want more than my normal travel mug. Wondering if the Bodum 1 liter is worth the price or if the less expensive ones work just as well.
[Reply]
forgop 08:58 PM 03-27-2012
Don't know about a thermal, but I just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Upgrading from an 8 cup to a 12 cup.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:03 PM 03-27-2012
I'm assuming even with your 8 cupper, you don't pour it all out at once, right? So do you notice any difference in the taste after its sat in the FP for a while? I'm using a smaller Bodum and only do enough at a time to fill my mug.
[Reply]
forgop 09:08 PM 03-27-2012
Yeah, I can polish off the 8 cupper by an original fill and then as I walk out the door. I don't notice much of a difference other than probably gathering more "dust" as you get closer to the end I guess.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 09:39 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Anyone use a thermal FP? Thinking of getting one for the weekends when I want more than my normal travel mug. Wondering if the Bodum 1 liter is worth the price or if the less expensive ones work just as well.
Mark mkarnold1 picked one up a few weeks ago and loves it :-)
Not sure of the brand tho.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up