Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Vegas de Santiago originales torpedo
Don Fernando 01:04 PM 10-15-2008
I reviewed 3 out of 4 Costa Ricans Vegas de Santiago torpedos so far, and here is the 4th. The Vegas de Santiago Originales torpedo, 153mm long ring 50 made of 3 year old Costa Rican filler and binder with a Habano seed wrapper from Nicaragua.

What a nice cigar, light wrapper, good construction, a close to perfect burn, light draw, thick white smoke and a firm ash. The flavor is leather and wood which are accompanied by a hint of toast and some cacao. Halfway the leather and wood are decreasing while the cacao grows stronger and near the end some herbs show up, combined with the cacao. The turning point is very late.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, this one is just as good as the Vegas de Santiago puros torpedo.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:12 AM 09-03-2010
And yet another revisit of a Vegas de Santiago torpedo that I smoked about 3 years ago, the 6x52 Originales. This cigar was also part of the sampler that I bombed about 20 of my friends and that showed up at my doorstep, courtesy of Vegas de Santiago owner Rudi. These Originales are a blend of Costa Rican ligero with Nicaraguan tobacco.

The wrapper is mocha colored, oily, shiny and has a few thin and long veins. The construction feels good but the predraw, which tastes like dry raisin, wood and a mild pepper, is too loose.

I taste a spicy but dry wood, full flavored, which slowly gets spicier. After a third I taste more herbal flavors with wood, spices and a sweetness.

Halfway I taste some earth too with the flavors mentioned before. Near the end the cigar gets a pepper flavor that grows strong, really strong.

Due to the loose draw, this cigar only lasted for an hour. The smoke was reasonable thick and I got it in a reasonable amount. The light colored ash is quite firm. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? I like the puros and chaman better, but I might order some of these too.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
Up