Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Vegas de Santiago puros torpedo
Don Fernando 12:51 PM 10-15-2008
This nice Costa Rican cigar from the charming Vegas de Santiago factory is made completely with Costa Rican tobacco and has a 52 ring with a length of 152mm. Vegas de Santiago is a small factory, but they produce great cigars, not just puros with Costa Rican tobacco, but they also have other cigars with nice blends from other countries. Just check out their website www.vegassantiago.com

The wrapper of this puros torpedo is nice and oily, the cigar has the smell of hay. It is east to cut and even easier to light, just one cigar match does the trick. The flavors that I could taste are a pepper right at the start, combined with herbs and leather, those flavors slowly make place for hay and grassy flavors and a hint of cacao. Right at the end I could taste some pepper again. A nice medium to full bodied cigar.

The smoke is full, rich and white, the ash is firm and light grey. The turning point comes pretty late and about the burn I can say one thing: PERFECT, not a millimeter crooked, and the cigar doesn’t die soon, when you put it away to get a drink from the kitchen.

Would I buy this cigar again? I already did, and I will keep on doing it.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:51 AM 08-31-2010
This Vegas de Santiago puros torpedo was one of my favorite daily cigars when I started smoking and I reviewed back in the day. I still light one every now and then. They are affordable and nice. And about a year and a half ago I exchanged some mails with Rudi about sampler, when I decided to bomb 18 of my American friends with a Vegas de Santiago sampler. Rudi gave me a great deal on the sampler, which contained torpedo of all the 5 different blends that Vegas de Santiago released so far. Much to my surprise, one of those samplers arrived at my doorstep as Rudi found it appropriate to thank me for bringing business to his company and sending his cigars to my friends of whom most never heard of Vegas de Santiago before.

The cigar is a 6x52 torpedo with a maduro wrapper, packed in cellophane. The torpedo has a nice shape and contains a few veins. The construction feels good and the cigar has a deep barnyard smell. I like the simple band, nothing fancy but it tells you all you need to know. The predraw is good and I taste a mild spicy tobacco.

I taste a pleasant but dry wood flavor with some mild bitter coffee. After an inch the coffee turns into an earth flavor

Some time later I taste mainly wood, dry but pleasant with a mild chocolate in the aftertaste and some herbal spiciness. Halfway and further it is only herbs and wood, the chocolate has gone and won't return.

The smoke time of this cigar is an hour and a half. The draw and burn are good and I get a decent amount of medium thick smoke. The ash of this full flavored and medium full bodied cigar is firm.

Would I buy this cigar again? I still have a few left, but once they are gone I will order a new bundle.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:07 PM 08-31-2010
Aother fine review Ferdie!!
[Reply]