Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Ashton Heritage, Puro Sol - An Old Friend
SvilleKid 01:03 AM 08-30-2010
Way back when (say, maybe 5-6 years ago), that bad old noobie killer (dare I mention it's name??) kept offering these sticks, and I kept winning bids at really good prices compared to B & M prices. As a result, I purchased a decent amount in five count lots. These sticks were one of my favorites, had a medium body that sat well with a novice smoker, while still having lots of flavor.

As I rotate my boxes in their coolers, check for mold, beetles, humidity and such, I will pull a stick out here and there and stick it in my humidor for more immediate considerations. I stumbled on a (double?) corona size Puro Sol, hidden beneath a layer of some other sticks, and carried it outside as one of three potential smokes. I decided to light the Ashton up (over a Padron 2000 with some age, and a short, dark maduro AF that I have no idea what it was, except that it wasn't an anejo).

The cap clipped off neat and quickly, and the lighter made fast work of the foot. A application of pressure on the sides showed a filler that wasn't overly full or empty, and there was no crackling tobacco, so I knew the stick's internal humidity was good for smoking. I quickly remembered why I liked this cigar! After the initial light, I never touched the lighter again. Nice smooth flavor that was present throughout the entire stick. And, this cigar put out enough smoke to make an American Standard locomotive jealous! Man, I love a good tasting cigar that puts out large volumes of smoke, and doesn't require turning my lungs inside out to draw it down!

I don't remember placing the cigar in my humidor, so it was probably there for the last 6 months or more, hiding. Now I need to go rummage the cooler with most of my AF sticks, and see how many I have left, and pull a few out for the near-term!

(Smoked the Fuente next. Same problem I often suffer when smoking really dark maduros with thick wrappers during humid times. I think I went thru half a lighter burning down badly uneven sides. But, darn good flavor and smoke quantities. Padron went back in the box for a later date.)
[Reply]
longknocker 03:49 AM 08-30-2010
I Love The Ashton Line!:-) Nice Review!:-)
[Reply]
gvarsity 10:18 PM 08-31-2010
Love these! One of my favorite cammies and NCs on general.
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:42 AM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
And, this cigar put out enough smoke to make an American Standard locomotive jealous!
:-):-):-)

Never had an Ashton, I might have to bite down and pick one up sometime, it just hurts that my B&M charges $16+ on all the Ashton's.. Ouch!!
[Reply]
sevans105 03:53 AM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
:-):-):-)

Never had an Ashton, I might have to bite down and pick one up sometime, it just hurts that my B&M charges $16+ on all the Ashton's.. Ouch!!
Check this bid out.... not bad, breaks down to a little over 5.50 a stick.
ASHTON BID
[Reply]
Salvelinus 04:50 AM 09-01-2010
Really like these. Nice review.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 04:52 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by sevans105:
Check this bid out.... not bad, breaks down to a little over 5.50 a stick.
ASHTON BID
Turning some unsuspecting bro to the devil!!! Aren't you the evil one!!:-)
Bwaaah haa haa haa haa!
[Reply]
sevans105 05:04 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Turning some unsuspecting bro to the devil!!! Aren't you the evil one!!:-)
Bwaaah haa haa haa haa!
Hehe. Well, the price is right....if he gets as addicted as I am then that is a shame.....(one more person I have to bid against!)) :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 06:50 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by sevans105:
Hehe. Well, the price is right....if he gets as addicted as I am then that is a shame.....(one more person I have to bid against!)) :-)
LOL... no worries mate, I'll probably just pick up a 5 pack sometime in the future from CI or something. I need to watch my spending this month. I just bought a few too many things (cigar related) last month, so I need to take it easy now.
[Reply]
Up