Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Viaje Platino Robusto
bsmokin 08:56 PM 08-24-2010
Uuuggghhh...

This is the first NC I've had in a long while. And I really wanted to like it. I really did. This is the first Viaje I've ever had as well.

Construction
Construction was superb. Smoking CCs only for so long, I really appreciated this and miss this aspect of good NCs. Draw was also amazingly perfect. I really like that. That's where most of the joy of the smoke ended...

First Third
Honestly, right after a took my first few puffs, my thought was 'Uh-oh!' The taste was just bitter tobacco and ash. Really. The first third was really all the same. Ugh.

Second Third
At this point the cigar actually started to develop a bit of decent flavor. Lots of good, thick smoke. I would say a subtle earthiness, mixed with a strong tobacco taste. If the cigar hadn't of changed to be this decent, I probably would have chucked it here and gave up. Not good, just good enough to not chuck.

Last Third
At this point the flavor picked up a bit... but not much. Still an ok earthiness, maybe a little cocoa, and still strong tobacco.

Conclusion
I wanted to like it.... but I just didn't... at all really. Just missed the deep flavor profiles offered by CCs the entire time. I'm sorry, but this is just how I felt... I'm being honest. I think it will be a very long while till I give another NC a chance... I also have some Tatuajes that I may give a shot. But at this point, I'm thinking I may just not bother, with as little as I like this one... :-)

I know a lot of people really like these, I'm just not one of them. To each his own... that's what makes the world go round... :-)
[Reply]
klipsch 08:12 AM 08-25-2010
Interesting. Earthy is probably one description I wouldn't have used for the Platino, but I haven't smoked one in a while. The word that normally comes to mind when I light one of these is Grassy...but in a refreshing way. Like...it's refreshing to smoke a cigar that's so different than everything else I smoke.

To each their own...
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:54 PM 08-25-2010
Sorry you didn't enjoy...

More for me!!! :-)
[Reply]
nomadicwookie 09:39 AM 08-27-2010
I was a bit underwhelmed with this cigar. I wouldn't say I disliked it, but it just didn't really do it for me.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 01:11 AM 08-28-2010
Earthy? You been smoking way too many CCs pal. Lol

Oh well, it was worth a try. Maybe one day you will find a NC you like.
[Reply]
Whee 06:55 AM 08-28-2010
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
bsmokin 07:08 AM 08-28-2010
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
Earthy? You been smoking way too many CCs pal. Lol

Oh well, it was worth a try. Maybe one day you will find a NC you like.
Ha! Maybe you're right about the too many CCs thing Huy. Grassy would probably have been more accurate... but, hey, grass comes from the 'earth.' :-)

I figure I will periodically give NCs a try. I have a Tatuaje Cojonu 2006 that I picked up as well... That will probably be the next one that I give a shot to.
[Reply]
bsmokin 07:09 AM 08-28-2010
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
Posted via Mobile Device
Excellent point Sean!!! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 07:14 AM 08-28-2010
Originally Posted by bsmokin:
Ha! Maybe you're right about the too many CCs thing Huy. Grassy would probably have been more accurate... but, hey, grass comes from the 'earth.' :-)

I figure I will periodically give NCs a try. I have a Tatuaje Cojonu 2006 that I picked up as well... That will probably be the next one that I give a shot to.
Tat Noellas & Reserva SW Should Fit Your Profile, Too!:-)
[Reply]
papichulo 08:43 AM 09-04-2010
Cigars are like wine, to each is own. Regardless, nice review.
[Reply]
Up