Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Fumadores robusto
Don Fernando 01:00 PM 08-20-2010
These sandwich style cigars are made by Don Pepin Garcia exclusively for Holts and are sold as cheap as $42 for a box of 20 robustos. The cigars are a blend of Nicaraguan Criollo, Corojo and Habano seed tobaccos with an Ecuadorian wrapper. This specific cigar had been resting in my humidor for at least a year and a half, possibly even longer. All cigars are individually wrapped in cellophane

The oily wrapper is a bit pale brown and has lots of veins. There are some soft spots in the construction of this mild box pressed cigar. I like the simple yet clear band. The cigar has a medium strong smell of straw and wood. The predraw is fine and I taste dry tobacco.

I taste a full flavored coffee with some cedar wood. After half an inch I also taste some herbs and the strength of the flavors decreases a bit. After an inch I notice the coffee getting weaker while the herbs grow in strength. I also taste some toasted flavors and nuts, but these flavors are smooth.

Halfway I discover a hint of chocolate and I taste a full herbal flavor with some nuts and cedar. The cedar disappears and I taste a perfect mix of chocolate and nuts behind a strong herbal flavor. Near the end I only taste cedar wood and cayenne pepper.

Even though this is a sandwich style cigar, it still lasted me for an hour. I got a lot of smoke from this stick but the smoke is thin. The draw is fine and the burn only had some minor issues. This full flavored and medium bodied smoke has a firm, salt & pepper colored, ash.

Image]

Would I buy this cigar again? For these prices? Hell yeah!

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
Salvelinus 07:47 AM 08-23-2010
Really like these for the price too.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:41 PM 08-23-2010
Another superb review Ferdie...can't beat these for the price. :-)
[Reply]
joetownhound 01:31 AM 08-24-2010
Another great review Ferdinand.
[Reply]
76GTFan 08:44 AM 09-02-2010
I like them OK, but they seemed a little loose on the draw, and burned hot at times. Great deal though.
[Reply]
Up