OHRD 07:44 AM 06-14-2010

Size: 5.25×52, Robusto

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium

Price: Box of 20, $114.95

Grade: 8.9

The Jamie Garcia Reserva Especial is the most recent release from the My Father factory, though this cigar is completely blended by Jamie Garcia, son to Don Pepin. The five-size line is made with two kinds of Nicaraguan tobacco, one grown by Jamie and Pepin, while the other is from the Oliva Tobacco Co. out of Tampa, Florida. The available sizes are a Petit Robusto (4.5×50), Robusto (5.25×52), Toro (6×54), Toro Gordo (6×60), and a Belicoso (5.5×52).

When the cigar debuted a the Cigar Inn in New York City, on December 12, 2009, many were expecting it to be a $20 cigar when released, so everyone should be quite pleased with the $6 tag. You can pick up a line sampler from New Havana here for $36.70.

Now, on to the toast.

Pre-light, 1.7:
What drew me to this smoke in the B&M was the contrast of the cream colored label against the dark and oily Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. The wrapper is in good shape with minimal veins, which is difficult to do with this type of plant, and there is a slight tooth to the touch. I do notice a patch job about halfway down with the binder peeking out a bit. The cigar is well packed and the triple cap is flawlessly constructed. The pre-light aroma is full with a hint of sweet barnyard at the foot. The cold draw produces an earthiness with hints of nuts.

Burn, 1.7:
The Robusto cuts, toasts, and lights well with a nice even burn line. I do have to re-light about halfway in, which is unexpected as the draw is somewhat loose. The smoke temperature is excellent and the cigar produces tons of aromatic smoke on each draw.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first puff on the Jamie Garcia produces notes of sweet spice and meaty tobacco; you can really taste the wrapper at the beginning. As I move into the stick, I pick up notes of earthy and nutty tobacco. On the exhale through the nose there is some aromatic vegetal or floral notes that are very pleasing. The finish is long and heavy and somewhat bitter, but not in a negative way. Into the second third, I find that the cigar becomes a bit darker with some sweet dark chocolate coming into the picture. The sweetness is found on the tip of the tongue on the exhale and with the chocolate on the finish. Toward the end the cigar maintains the above profile with the spice still present.

Overall, 2.8:
I was excited about this smoke and I was not disappointed. While not as good as some of the other My Father blends, this is still a solid offering from one of the premier cigar families in the business today. The price point is dead on and if you can find these I suggest you pick a few up. The combination of the two Nicaraguan tobaccos, coupled with the other Connecticut wrapper, makes for an excellent and enjoyable two hours of smoking.

(Total: 8.9)
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:19 PM 06-14-2010
Another superb review Matthew!! Been eyeballing these. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 04:39 PM 06-14-2010
I want it. someone bomb me these.

Okay i'm kidding. Are these suppose to be limited? I'm assuming not, but figured I'd ask in case.
[Reply]
ama 10:32 PM 06-14-2010
Not limited that I know of.
[Reply]
OHRD 06:12 AM 06-15-2010
I heard originally that there would not be a ton of them made, but considering the price, and that my B&M in a small city secured them, I am figuring that it will be a normal Pepin production.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:53 AM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Another superb review Matthew!! Been eyeballing these. :-) :-)
:-)
[Reply]
papichulo 06:20 PM 08-28-2010
Nice review and I have been wanting to try these for the past couple months.

Hey Fernie!!
[Reply]
BlackIrish 09:19 PM 08-28-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
:-)
+1
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
PartagasIV 02:11 AM 08-29-2010
Was bombed with one of these and really enjoyed it, superior to other NC's I have recently tried.
[Reply]
Up