Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 robusto
Don Fernando 05:18 PM 04-18-2009
The looks of this 5 x 50 box pressed cigar is great, with the classy band and the dark habano wrapper, but when you look closer you can see that the wrapper is a bit wrinkled. This cigar is made from tobacco from the Dominican republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico and Costa Rica. The predraw is fine and gives me the flavor of dried wood.

I can taste wood and coffee, mostly wood though. After a centimeter I can taste some leather, a bit musty though, not very nice. Wood stays noticeable on the background. After an inch the cigar tastes like ash, I don’t like this at all. The ash flavor sticks with me till the halfway point, from there I taste nothing really for a while. At 2/3rd I taste some chocolate with a light pepper in my throat. The finale is nice with a fine coffee flavor.

The cigar is hard to lit and the draw is too easy. The amount of smoke is poor and has a bit brownish faint to it., but the white ash is quite firm. The burn is great.

Would I buy this cigar again? Simple answer: no

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Appearance: 8 / 10
Smoke && ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 9 / 10
Aroma (first part) 5 / 10
Aroma (second part) 6 / 10
Aroma (third part) 7 / 10
[Reply]
Smoke Naked 05:40 PM 04-18-2009
Nice Review and pics. Sucks about the flavor though.
[Reply]
timj219 11:29 PM 07-09-2010
I'm pretty new at this so maybe I'm not a good judge. This was my first box pressed cigar. Also the most powerful I've tried yet. The kick from this smoke stayed with me for a good long time after it was gone. In fact I'm still feeling a little wobbly :-).
When I felt the firmness of the stick I thought it would never draw decently but I got plenty of smoke with no trouble. The burn wasn't razor sharp but i never needed to fix it or relight even though I let it sit longer than the milder cigars I've smoked. The flavors in this cigar made me think maybe this is what people mean by "complex". It changed throughout the smoke and even in two consecutive draws I was picking up different sensations. And I found myself reluctant to take a drink because I didn't want to wash away what was happening. Spicy yes and peppery but there was more to it than that. I identified a leather sensation at one point - first time I've actually been able to pin down any flavor other than pepper that precisely.
I've smoked cigars that I loved and when they were done I wished I could have another. This one filled me up. I liked it and I'll definitely smoke more of these but not everyday!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:38 AM 07-10-2010
ah, the wonders of a forum. I completely forgot about this cigar :-)

Tim, smoking cigars is all about personal preferences, we all have different tastes, so we all like different cigars. Don't let my, or anybody elses, experiences with a cigar change your opinion. Most inmates here would say "smoke what you like, like what you smoke".
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:13 AM 07-10-2010
I have not been disappointed by a Carlos Torano stick yet. Great review brother!! :-)
[Reply]
ABNMP619 04:25 AM 07-10-2010
Carlos Torano has always been a favorite of the bunch. His Virtuoso is also another superb smoke. From beginning to end the flavors will make you grin with excitement. If you have not tried this one, gotta do it. His 50 year stick is also another one that is loved and of course the all time favorite Carlos Torano Silver. All are wonderful sticks.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 10:43 AM 09-10-2010
I am still relatively new to smoking Cigars and I am relatively new to the forums as well.

Thanks for your review. Interestingly enough, I had a very different experience with the same cigar. I guess I expect to experience different tastes than others on the forums. However, one thing I noticed is that the same cigar, for me, produced a lot of smoke, was incredibly smooth, and I believe the cigar had a lot of complexity. I think the complexity was due to the 5 different tobaccos used.

This smaller cigar kicked my butt, though. The smoothness of the cigar seemed to mask a lot of the strength.

Anyway, just thought I would add my different experience from a dude that has very little experience. :-)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 01:03 PM 09-10-2010
I love the Silver!
[Reply]
borndead1 03:12 PM 09-10-2010
I tried a few of these and did not like them at all.

Torano has been a strange brand for me. I like their cheapest cigar (Dominico) and their most expensive cigar (Tribute) but none in between.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 03:23 PM 09-10-2010
If anyone has some Silver Exodus, lets do a trade!
[Reply]
T.Rit 03:25 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:
I am still relatively new to smoking Cigars and I am relatively new to the forums as well.

Thanks for your review. Interestingly enough, I had a very different experience with the same cigar. I guess I expect to experience different tastes than others on the forums. However, one thing I noticed is that the same cigar, for me, produced a lot of smoke, was incredibly smooth, and I believe the cigar had a lot of complexity. I think the complexity was due to the 5 different tobaccos used.

This smaller cigar kicked my butt, though. The smoothness of the cigar seemed to mask a lot of the strength.

Anyway, just thought I would add my different experience from a dude that has very little experience. :-)
This.

And I only smoke med. to full bodied cigars. but the exodus took me on a trip :-)
[Reply]
d'am 08:40 PM 09-10-2010
I've got a couple 1959's coming in a sampler. I loved the virtuoso, but now I'm a little worried. I'll have to come back and compare after I smoke one.
[Reply]
Up