Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 138
« First < 678 9101858108 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Chingo 11:00 PM 09-02-2009
Here is a question that just came up: how does cigar size affect flavor? I'm browsing Famous Cigars and I see varying customer ratings - some varying to a great degree for the same cigar but different size.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:25 PM 09-02-2009
Originally Posted by Chingo:
Here is a question that just came up: how does cigar size affect flavor? I'm browsing Famous Cigars and I see varying customer ratings - some varying to a great degree for the same cigar but different size.
It all comes down to filler vs wrapper ratio. A smaller ring guage cigar will give you more wrapper flavor plus the blend itself is more concentrated and they are usually a bit stronger and possibly more complex. You will taste more wrapper with a 42 rg cigar than a 58 rg cigar. The blend will vary, slightly, according to the size of the cigar as well. Most blenders will base a blend off the corona. Some the robusto.

I prefer 50 rg and under.
[Reply]
Eleven 08:29 PM 09-04-2009
Why is that one internet service in which you use them to pay others for products or services never called by its real name here?

I see 'poopal' and 'heygal' and things like that...is there a reason?
[Reply]
Whee 08:50 PM 09-04-2009
Originally Posted by Eleven:
Why is that one internet service in which you use them to pay others for products or services never called by its real name here?

I see 'poopal' and 'heygal' and things like that...is there a reason?
They frown on being used for tobacco transactions. And we try not to attract any unneeded attention to ourselves.

They have frozen accounts.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:15 PM 09-04-2009
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
They frown on being used for tobacco transactions. And we try not to attract any unneeded attention to ourselves.

They have frozen accounts.
This partially true. The problem is age verification. There is at least one major tobacco retailer that uses ******, they have an agreement that they will verify ages before sales. This protects PP in case they are accused of enabling minors to purchase tobacco.
[Reply]
Eleven 11:27 PM 09-04-2009
In light of the 2 previous posts, I will heretofore use clever and hilarious substitutes for said internet pay service!
[Reply]
Chris. 03:27 AM 09-05-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
This partially true. The problem is age verification. There is at least one major tobacco retailer that uses ******, they have an agreement that they will verify ages before sales. This protects PP in case they are accused of enabling minors to purchase tobacco.
I always wondered this but just dealt with it. The answers make sense! Thanks for asking!
[Reply]
GROSSR 08:30 PM 09-05-2009
How do you properly cut a torpedo cigar?

Never had one, curious if I do buy one.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 08:39 PM 09-05-2009
Originally Posted by GROSSR:

There's really no correct way to clip off the top of a torpedo, IMO. I just clip a small piece, enough to where it the tobacco does not unravel. Just my :-)
[Reply]
Chingo 11:06 PM 09-05-2009
How do you light a cigar with a torch lighter?

I had been used to using regular flame lighters and tried using a torch for the first time the other day. If I wasn't charring the heck out of it, I was burning the heck out of it. I also couldn't tell whether it was actually lit or just charred when using the torch lighter.

Now I'm not sure if the Oliveros tasted bitter because it was or because of my lighting "technique" :-).
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:35 PM 09-05-2009

I had been used to using regular flame lighters and tried using a torch for the first time the other day. If I wasn't charring the heck out of it, I was burning the heck out of it. I also couldn't tell whether it was actually lit or just charred when using the torch lighter.

Now I'm not sure if the Oliveros tasted bitter because it was or because of my lighting "technique" :-).
Was it a one jet torch or more? More than one jet burns faster and hotter and you must hold the flame back from the foot to toast rather than burn.

Make sure you hold the lighter and flame back from the cigar. You only want the very tip of the flame touching ever-so-gently to the foot of the cigar (some people won't even let the tip touch). You can either rotate the foot around to evenly toast it or move the flame around.

Once you think it is lit blow on the foot gently to make sure it is lit evenly. The foot will begin to glow where it is toasted properly.

It should be ready to smoke after that!

BTW - Burning the foot rather than toasting can effect flavor!!!:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:56 PM 09-05-2009

I cut my torpedos at an angle. Usually I will cut about 3/8" off at about a 40degree angle. I will then test the draw, if its too tight I cut a bit more off. The caps on many torpedoes will go up nearly an inch, so cutting at an angle gives more surface area to draw. Also the draw will sometimes tighten up when smoking a torp so recutting another 1/4" doesnt cut past the cap. But there is no wrong or right way. :-)
[Reply]
Chris. 01:45 AM 09-06-2009

Cut a small bit and test the draw. If it's too tight, cut a hair more, test again. Rinse and repeat until you get a draw you are satisfied with. Just don't cut more than 3/4" typically.
[Reply]
Whee 12:10 PM 09-06-2009

I usually start with clipping a quarter inch off and go from there.
[Reply]
Whee 12:15 PM 09-06-2009

I was taught to "Toast" the foot first, never letting the flame touch the foot. Give a few quick puffs and it should be lit. Most of the time, though, I do end up applying a little flame to the foot as I draw to ensure I get it lit. Try to avoid setting the foot on fire.:-) Charring can cause the bitterness, give a few outward puffs before you draw if you think you charred it.
[Reply]
gnarly 02:50 PM 09-06-2009
What's the best way to really taste the flavor and intricacies of the cigar? I have my wine and coffee tasting techniques down where I can really appreciate both arts, but I've never learned it with cigars.

How hard do you draw on it? how long do you hold the smoke in your mouth? Do you stir your tongue around? Touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth before or after you exhale? Short quick puffs or long draws? Close your eyes? Smelling the wrapper after it's lit? Smelling the second-hand smoke after you've exhaled? Frequency of puffing? etc.

I also like to pair my cigars with bourbon or beer (sometimes wine or cocktails). I know this affects the taste, but it's enjoyable. To really know the cigar should I stick with club soda?

I know much of this could come down to preference, but I think it would be interesting.

Thanks,

Wyatt
[Reply]
N2Advnture 05:49 PM 09-06-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I cut my torpedos at an angle. Usually I will cut about 3/8" off at about a 40degree angle. I will then test the draw, if its too tight I cut a bit more off. The caps on many torpedoes will go up nearly an inch, so cutting at an angle gives more surface area to draw. Also the draw will sometimes tighten up when smoking a torp so recutting another 1/4" doesnt cut past the cap. But there is no wrong or right way. :-)
I do this as well :-)
[Reply]
N2Advnture 05:50 PM 09-06-2009

Hold the flame away from the foot of the cigar and let the heat from the flame light it - ie the flame doesn't touch the foot.

I hope this helps

~Mark
[Reply]
safariguy 06:21 PM 09-06-2009
Originally Posted by N2Advnture:
Hold the flame away from the foot of the cigar and let the heat from the flame light it - ie the flame doesn't touch the foot.

I hope this helps

~Mark
I tried this last night and felt like it took 15 minutes to get it lit. OK that's an exageration but seriosly it took a really long time and I am surprised my lighter held out. Is this just something that I need to get the knack of and it will take less time the more I practice?
[Reply]
Marcelo 06:31 PM 09-06-2009
Im new to storing cigars, i usually smoke them when i recieve them, but I am deploying really soon here and I thought I would set up a humidor. I bought a large humidor and many cigars to fill it up with. i set up the humidor correctly and had no probs with that, but the cigars are individually wrapped, so the question being should i remove the wrappers for storing and then have my wife put the cigars back in the wrapper when she ships them to me? a lot of cigars will be in the humidor for a while, a month or more at a time before being shipped to me.
what would be the best process to do this? :-)

thanks
[Reply]
Page 8 of 138
« First < 678 9101858108 > Last »
Up