Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 56 of 138
« First < 646545556 575866106 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
icehog3 11:11 PM 02-20-2011
Logic? None, IMHO, just personal preference.
[Reply]
Bill86 11:14 PM 02-20-2011
I personally like boxes because I know the cigars won't get banged up. Same goes for Tubos, I leave the cap on and keep them protected.

Sometimes leaving singles in trays will get them banged up over time with tetris and all the other games we play to keep from buy more humidors.

:-)
[Reply]
sam a 11:26 PM 02-20-2011
like the other guys have said, it largely comes down to personal preference. some people like to limit airflow especially for long term storage and others don't. in the end i recommend to do what works best for you.
[Reply]
thecatch83 11:28 PM 02-20-2011
So in regards to humidification, nothing wrong with this approach? Thanks guys!
[Reply]
icehog3 11:38 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by thecatch83:
Not a thing. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:39 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by thecatch83:
Nope nothing wrong with leaving them in the boxes or tubes and placing them in the humidor. Humidity will get in there in the case of boxes and tubes that aren't 100% airtight. For the tubes that are, they will be at the appropriate humidity for the moisture content of the cigar.

I would recommend opening and inspecting everything on receipt, since no vendor will take the cigars back after you've had them for awhile and open them, only to discover damage or a problem (such as mold or beetles).
[Reply]
Tyler 12:36 AM 02-21-2011
Is all mold on cigars white? I have noticed a sort of green discoloration on one of my cigars that was kept at too high of a humidity.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:39 AM 02-21-2011
Google or use the CA search for Plume and mold. White "stuff" on your cigars isn't always mold.
[Reply]
Tyler 12:41 AM 02-21-2011
Thanks for being quick to respond Bill. As far as mold and plume goes I understand the differences but I was wondering if cigars ever get green mold or if it is just a discoloration of the wrapper? I can post a few pictures if need be. I have a picture of one that is really bad that I suspect is mold but the others seem like they could just be discoloration.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:44 AM 02-21-2011
I've had that green discoloration on the wrapper before usually if it doesn't wipe off I just smoke it and nothing bad has happened to me. Kind of a $hit answer as I'm not sure the reason it is there but I saw no issue and just lit them up.

Hell if you've ever smoked a candela wrapper it is always green, kind of odd at first but ever so tasty. :-)
[Reply]
Tyler 12:55 AM 02-21-2011
Haha well thanks for the quick answer. I guess if I die this week you guys know the cause :P.

Here is the picture just to see if it is the same thing. I freaked out and threw this one away though because it was a $1 budget cigar I got from Cbid. The other ones have the similar thing but they are not as bad and I realize now that I probably could have been able to keep this one.

[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:55 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Wallbright:
Is all mold on cigars white? I have noticed a sort of green discoloration on one of my cigars that was kept at too high of a humidity.
Looks like water spots on cheap wrapper. Come to think of it, the wrapper was probably cheap because of the excessive spots. Nothing to worry about. Green discolorations are very common and are caused by water being trapped between leaves during the fermentation process.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:57 AM 02-21-2011
Yeah that's a goofy looking color, not the green color I've seen on cigars before. If it was $1 on Cbid toss it out. I've seen green on $10-$15 cigars and I just smoke them. The green I'm use to seeing is more of a light grass color.
[Reply]
Tyler 01:04 AM 02-21-2011
Thanks fellas. I have already tossed this one out but I will check the others. I bought these for fishing/working cigars and at $1 each I don't mind tossing them. I didn't really expect much from them anyway. Thanks again for your quick responses this late/early in the night/morning.
[Reply]
guitar4001 11:37 AM 02-22-2011
maybe the wrapper tobacco wasn't fermented long enough?
[Reply]
Zeuceone 02:11 PM 02-28-2011
is there a downside to relighting a cigar, lets say 5 or more times?
[Reply]
T.G 02:23 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
It might affect the flavor a bit, although I've had many cigars that tasted better after a relight or two. As long as you are enjoying it, relight away.

I'd be more concerned with the reasons why that many relights were needed. Sure, some of them are mundane and ignorable, like you kept putting it down and letting it go out, for example: you were working on something that you needed both hands for and it wasn't practical to keep the cigar in your mouth the whole time; or others are unavoidable, like smoking in a high humidity climate, where the cigar will go out quickly no matter what you do. It's the ones where the cigar is too moist and keeps going out and is that due to your humidor, as this could be the tip of a bigger problem, that I would be more concerned with.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:23 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
Over the course of 2 weeks? Absolutely. :-)

Seriously. As long as you are enjoying it, who cares? I've had troublesome cigars that I've relit multiple times. I purge each time but after working at it over and over I usually get frustrated and just pitch it and light another one.
:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
OLS 02:30 PM 02-28-2011
Make sure you scrape out the grey ash before you re-light it and you will find
that it can actually
taste better. After an OVERNIGHT, nah, move on. I find re-lights that have gone cold have a very
sharp bite on the nose and should be tossed. If you can tolerate it, go for it.
[Reply]
Chris. 03:03 PM 02-28-2011
Usually for me any ciagr that I have to relight tastes terrible afterwards. I had one good experience when I first started smoking. Was smoking an Opus X at the beach and it was so windy I had to let it go out. Came back to it at least TWO WEEKS later and it was phenomenal!
[Reply]
Page 56 of 138
« First < 646545556 575866106 > Last »
Up