Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 106 of 138
« First < 65696104105106 107108116 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Outlaw God 02:35 PM 07-24-2013
What makes a cigar that's goes out for an hour and you come come back to it bitter?
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:48 PM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by Outlaw God:
What makes a cigar that's goes out for an hour and you come come back to it bitter?
The gases in the cigar that got left inside when the cigar went out. It is always best to purge (blow through it) if you know you are going to set it down for a bit.

Also, when you pick up a cigar that has been sitting you should purge it a time or two before re-lighting.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 03:10 PM 07-24-2013
[Reply]
Lockspur 03:19 PM 07-24-2013
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 03:24 PM 07-24-2013
[Reply]
icehog3 03:29 PM 07-24-2013
My butt itches.
[Reply]
Outlaw God 03:29 PM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
The gases in the cigar that got left inside when the cigar went out. It is always best to purge (blow through it) if you know you are going to set it down for a bit.

Also, when you pick up a cigar that has been sitting you should purge it a time or two before re-lighting.
Great explanation, thanks brother!
[Reply]
Lockspur 03:34 PM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by CamoFlogged:
I totally agree. You have to heal between the floors or you will max your credit cards. How often do we forget this?
Only determinable by the set APR of the GNU. Without that, you'll end up paying prime plus 3%. And either way you look at it, it's a lose-lose for all Bjorks involved.
[Reply]
Outlaw God 03:45 PM 07-24-2013
What the heck are you guys talking about? :-)
[Reply]
mk05 03:46 PM 07-24-2013
where do i sign up for the credit card?
[Reply]
Lockspur 03:54 PM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by mk05:
where do i sign up for the credit card?
One must have good and true chi before applying for the cards. Only amazing energy can withstand the spending power of the GNUs.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 05:34 PM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by Lockspur:
loud noises!!!!!
Well, I do love me some lamp! Killed a guy with a trident once, too.
[Reply]
Outlaw God 12:30 PM 07-29-2013
I notice a lot of you who store cigars in large humidors right in there boxes and wondered if that allowed them to be stable in RH properly?

Also I see some here store cigars in plastic vacuum bags and if that allowed them to be stable in RH properly also?

[Reply]
CigarNut 12:43 PM 07-29-2013
I think most people use boxes just to simplify the storage of their cigars. Also, keeping the cigars in the original boxes allows you to remember what they are and maybe when you got them (e.g., in the case of CC's there are box codes and dates on the boxes; not sure how many NC manufacturers do this). The cedar in these boxes may add to the flavor of a cigar if it is stored (aged) for a long period of time. Not sure that there is any value to the cardboard boxes othen than what I stated above.

I am not sure what you are referring to regarding plastic vacuum bags. I know some people put their cigars in 1, 3 or five "finger" bags -- Ziploc-like bags that have slots (fingers) for cigar storage.

I know alot of people that use five finger bags for safe storage during travels as they are very good at protecting your cigars. Some people also use these in their humidor -- both opened and closed. If the bags are in my humidor they are open.

Just my :-)
[Reply]
Outlaw God 12:51 PM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I think most people use boxes just to simplify the storage of their cigars. Also, keeping the cigars in the original boxes allows you to remember what they are and maybe when you got them (e.g., in the case of CC's there are box codes and dates on the boxes; not sure how many NC manufacturers do this). The cedar in these boxes may add to the flavor of a cigar if it is stored (aged) for a long period of time. Not sure that there is any value to the cardboard boxes othen than what I stated above.

I am not sure what you are referring to regarding plastic vacuum bags. I know some people put their cigars in 1, 3 or five "finger" bags -- Ziploc-like bags that have slots (fingers) for cigar storage.

I know alot of people that use five finger bags for safe storage during travels as they are very good at protecting your cigars. Some people also use these in their humidor -- both opened and closed. If the bags are in my humidor they are open.

Just my :-)
Like this, thanks brother!
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 01:04 PM 07-29-2013
Like this, thanks brother!
Doesn't vacuum package do opposite of what you would want? Although the RH would be somewhat stable over a long period, the air helps age the cigar doesn't it? There is zero air transfer here. As the cigar ages, it can still give off ammonia so that would be locked into the cigar. Plus if the stick is shipped to me wet, I don't want it in a vacuum bag wet. I want it to stabilize at the RH I like to smoke them at.

For me, I keep sticks in boxes for long term storage because I believe it manages RH fluctuations better because of the wood (also smells nice) and my humi's are for 5'ers and singles.

Just my theory anyway.
[Reply]
Outlaw God 01:17 PM 07-29-2013
I was wondering about the zero air transfer issue, maybe for cigars that has already bend resting for awhile and maybe for transport in your luggage but sure would be great to stop or kill any beetles
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 01:21 PM 07-29-2013
I was wondering about the zero air transfer issue, maybe for cigars that has already bend resting for awhile and maybe for transport in your luggage but sure would be great to stop or kill any beetles
Hmmm, I don't think it will stop a beetle from hatching as all the air isn't removed and there is plenty for a little bug to survive for a while. It would stop the spread for sure but I would rather just freeze my sticks for a short time and be done with it.

It would be good for transport though but have a little 5 Herf-a-dor for that.

Good topic.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:37 PM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by CamoFlogged:
Hmmm, I don't think it will stop a beetle from hatching as all the air isn't removed and there is plenty for a little bug to survive for a while. It would stop the spread for sure but I would rather just freeze my sticks for a short time and be done with it.

It would be good for transport though but have a little 5 Herf-a-dor for that.

Good topic.
The vacuum sealed bag would certainly not do any harm to the beetle eggs either, so beetles could still be a problem.

Also, I would worry that the vaccum sealing process could damage the cigars. Some cigar wrappers are very fragile.

Last, I would never transport cigars in my luggage. I always use a travel humidor of some sort and always keep it with me.

Again, just my :-)
[Reply]
Outlaw God 09:32 PM 08-02-2013
Will stored cigars in box with cellophane wrapping really get proper RH control?
[Reply]
Page 106 of 138
« First < 65696104105106 107108116 > Last »
Up