Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Fresh REALLY Fresh Cigars
AdamJoshua 07:42 PM 02-22-2016
I just picked up some custom rolls, I'm posting this here because I never could find a straight answer on where the tobacco comes from, I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about so no names are needed.

This is the second bundle I've grabbed, the first seem to have been rolled and drying for a spell, these are pretty spongy and and damp. If I sit the cigar down it won't quite go out after a couple minutes so I figure they could be worse, my question is about dry boxing these.

I put about half of them in a SLB in my humidor to sit, I put a few in the top drawer and I have some that I'm considering dry boxing, 3 or 4 as a test, outside the cabinet in another SLB.

I know rollers will grab some leaves, roll them up and smoke them, my question is should I bother dry boxing them, will it help or will it just dry out the wrapper and give me a wonky smoking experience.

I glanced through the first page or so and I don't know how to use any kind of search feature at all, I'd rather ask people :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:01 PM 02-22-2016
After smoking about half way through one of these I see that they are fine how they are, still interested in people's opinion on dry boxing fresh cigars though.
[Reply]
galaga 10:09 PM 02-22-2016
Stage one: talking to oneself.

Stage two: talking to oneself on the internet...........

:-) Smoke one now after dry boxing. Any ammonia? Let them age.
If they are only "wet", just let them sit until they pass the squeeze test.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 10:28 PM 02-22-2016
Use a blow dryer and turn it on medium heat or put them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Depending on the humidity in your humi... Obviously if you have it set higher, than what's the point of "dry boxing" them? If it's set lower, then I see a point.
When I'm dry boxing anything, I will typically not put it in the humidor. I'll throw some in a SLB and leave them out for a few days or a week.
[Reply]
kydsid 07:07 AM 02-23-2016
I wouldn't dry box, as in outside a humidor right off the bat. I have a roller near my house that I buy from regularly. His cigars do great with a couple years in the humidor. Smoke fine fresh too FWIW.
[Reply]
Dux 08:16 AM 02-23-2016
I smoked our custom rolls right from the table. I also like to toss a bundle or two into the humidor for a month or longer @ around 65RH.

Even fresh I never had a cigar go wonky, just a bit more squishy in the fingers when holding it.

-Dux
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:14 PM 02-23-2016
Thanks for the input all, for the most part they smoke well, again sometimes they need to be hit with the draw tool. No real ammonia, a bit with an inch or so to go on one of them but I was ready to pitch it anyway. :-)
[Reply]
borndead1 10:30 PM 02-23-2016
Hey, can yooz guys PM me a link? I love trying custom rolls.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:22 PM 02-26-2016
Just for the record, today I was smoking another and used a large (straightened) paper clip as a draw tool and it worked wonderfully. A regular draw tool is too thick for some of these smaller ring gauges, you know when you get those little (or big) cracks in the wrapper, the paper clip doesn't have that issue.
[Reply]
longknocker 02:40 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by borndead1:
Hey, can yooz guys PM me a link? I love trying custom rolls.
Sorry, Mark. No Posting Links To Any CC's Allowed Per Forum Rules.:-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:57 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Sorry, Mark. No Posting Links To Any CC's Allowed Per Forum Rules.:-)
What he said :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:17 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Just for the record, today I was smoking another and used a large (straightened) paper clip as a draw tool and it worked wonderfully. A regular draw tool is too thick for some of these smaller ring gauges, you know when you get those little (or big) cracks in the wrapper, the paper clip doesn't have that issue.
I have a small drill -- 1/32nd I think, that is 6 inches long and I use it as a draw tool. The nice thing about it, is that rather than poking a hole, you can actually drill with it and remove the tough spots.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:42 PM 02-26-2016
I have a nice / pretty nice draw tool that size but with the wet leaves the clip just seems to work better. I took 50 boxes of paper clips home from work and I'm going to set up a cottage industry selling "bendable draw tools" online, might branch out into B&Ms at some point but I'm going to definitely start small. :-)
[Reply]
Up