Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 48 of 159
« First < 38464748 49505898148 > Last »
General Discussion>What are you reading?
dccraft 08:41 AM 05-08-2010
Union 1812 by A.J. Langguth.
[Reply]
Walt 07:27 AM 05-10-2010
Originally Posted by Beer Doctor:
Currently reading The Great Hunt. The second book in the Wheel of Time Series. I'm also reading Puppies for Dummies because I just got a puppy and was a little lost for a bit there.
I'm curious what you think of The Wheel of Time so far? I've been considering reading it but I'm a little worried about getting started. Some say the latter books get very dull up until Brandon Sanderson took it over after Jordan's death. Others say that the series is fantastic and well worth the read of 10+ books.

The only other series I have invested that much time in was The Sword of Truth at 11 books. At times it seemed to drone on and on but overall I was glad that I read it.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:44 AM 05-10-2010
Originally Posted by Walt:
I'm curious what you think of The Wheel of Time so far? I've been considering reading it but I'm a little worried about getting started. Some say the latter books get very dull up until Brandon Sanderson took it over after Jordan's death. Others say that the series is fantastic and well worth the read of 10+ books.

The only other series I have invested that much time in was The Sword of Truth at 11 books. At times it seemed to drone on and on but overall I was glad that I read it.
Depends upon what kind of stories you like.

I like epic fantasy. By epic I mean, big, complex plot, lots of story lines, lots of characters and depth, many books. I think Wheel of Time is one of the best if not the best in that category.

If you start now, you might finish with book twelve by the time books 13 and 14 are out :-)

(Sanderson has stated that books 13 (Towers of Midnight) and 14 (A Memory of Light) will be out much faster than Jordan typically released his books -- 2 years. Right now 13 is due out in October)
[Reply]
kydsid 08:23 AM 05-10-2010
Super FreakaNomics - by Levitt and Dubner

The stats and economics behind human motivations basically. Wickedly funny satire even though that is not the intention.
[Reply]
paris1129 03:50 AM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Depends upon what kind of stories you like.

I like epic fantasy. By epic I mean, big, complex plot, lots of story lines, lots of characters and depth, many books. I think Wheel of Time is one of the best if not the best in that category.

If you start now, you might finish with book twelve by the time books 13 and 14 are out :-)

(Sanderson has stated that books 13 (Towers of Midnight) and 14 (A Memory of Light) will be out much faster than Jordan typically released his books -- 2 years. Right now 13 is due out in October)
Sounds interesting. I've picked up the first 4 books of the series based on your recommendation. I look forward to checking these out!
[Reply]
Kreth 07:55 AM 05-11-2010
Jordan's writing is very immersive. Sometimes that means reading a page or six about the latest fashions in Ebou Dar. Also, as the series went on, it picked up sub-plots involving dozens of minor characters from the various factions. Sanderson (working partially from Jordan's notes) has started to wrap some of these
up in The Gathering Storm.
Originally Posted by :
I got as far as Faith Of The Fallen in SoT. Someday I'll have to reread the series. Lots of interesting parallels: Rand as The Dragon Reborn/Richard as a war wizard, Moiraine/Kahlan, Aes Sedai/Sisters of the Light, Seanchan/Jagad, the Stone of Tear/Stone of Tears.
Supposedly, the last two books are due in 2010 and 2011. Hopefully the dates don't slip. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
The Poet 02:07 PM 05-11-2010
Just a little light reading for me now: Krafft-Ebing's Psychopathia Sexualis. Hoping to pick up a few pointers. :-)
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 02:40 PM 05-11-2010

So far it's great. I was looking for a series that had a lot of content and would take awhile to complete. I like to immerse myself in the author's world and so far I can't complain. I wish I had more time to read so I could get through the books faster! I also love the way Jordan writes. I'd recommend giving it a try:-)
[Reply]
PeteSB75 07:48 AM 05-12-2010
Just finished Day By Day Armageddon by JL Bourne. Great journal-style zombie book. Very engaging.
[Reply]
forgop 07:49 AM 05-12-2010
I'm reading Sh*t my dad Says...funny stuff.
[Reply]
Eleven 07:50 AM 05-12-2010
Finally found 2 books I read as a kid. Been looking for them for years but they were out of print, finally found them on Ebay (of course!)

Genesis and Revelation by W.A. Harbinson.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:55 AM 05-12-2010
Ian Rankin's The black book, a detective
[Reply]
hotreds 08:01 AM 05-12-2010
Passionate Conviction: Contemporary Discourses on Christian Apologetics by Paul Copan, William Lane Craig, N. T. Wright, and Norman Geisler
[Reply]
ABNMP619 08:08 AM 05-12-2010
Halfway through this book No Angel by Jay Dobyns. It is about an undercover DEA agent who infiltrates the Hells Angels. Pretty good read. :-):-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:10 AM 05-12-2010
The Devil's Punchbowl by Greg Iles. :-) :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:12 AM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
I'm reading Sh*t my dad Says...funny stuff.
You should check out the Twitter account shitmydadsays... Pretty funny stuff :-)
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 09:49 AM 05-12-2010
I just read a bit about this....
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14697685?source=most_viewed
Really sad stuff.
[Reply]
Walt 12:30 PM 05-12-2010
Thanks for all the info on The Wheel of Time. I've got a pretty hefty stack of books to read as it is but I think I'm going to add the first Box Set of WoT to it for future reading. I checked the Wikipedia page to get some story (and not spoilers) and the premise seems interesting.

I think my book buying has gotten almost as bad as my cigar buying..... lol
[Reply]
forgop 12:57 PM 05-12-2010
You should check out the Twitter account shitmydadsays... Pretty funny stuff :-)
I know, that's how I found out about it. The book has some much funnier detailed stories.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 05:37 PM 05-28-2010
The Path of the Just by Rav. Luzzato
At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft

after Lovecraft, I might start The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
[Reply]
Page 48 of 159
« First < 38464748 49505898148 > Last »
Up