Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Lets talk Ozone Air Purifiers
JDTexan 09:39 AM 01-18-2011
So I have been smoking in my outside home office for about a year now and I would like to invest in an ozone air purifier that I can run overnight to help "clean" the old smoke smell. I see the Csonka for sale at most cigar stores and online sites but would like to know who has used one and what brand is the one to buy. My office is roughly 500 sq feet so I don't need some badass commercial unit. I have read that some people hate the way it makes the room smell, so any comments good or bad are welcome, as I explore this option.

Thanks for all the help!
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:49 AM 01-18-2011
I got a commercial one for Christmas and it is aces.
I didn't want to spend the coin for a big one but found it for 2 bills
I have smoked in my basement on weekends for the last 3 weeks with no complaints from my wife except when its on she doesn't like the smell.
10 min after it shuts off she's ok.
The room I smoke in is about 460 sq ft.

Out of stock now but this is the one I have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Edit: I should add that after I smoke it clears the smell out very quickly, which is what I need for smoking at home.
If I had the ability to run it overnight after I left I may have gone smaller.
The price made this one hard to pass up.
[Reply]
JDTexan 09:57 AM 01-18-2011
Thanks Dom, that is a great price for such a large unit. I found it for sale here:
http://www.greatvacs.com/new-comfort...generator.html

Do you keep your cigars in the same location where you smoke and run the ozone cleaner. I am wondering the effects on cigars. Also, how is the smell after you run it, is it back to normal after an hour or more of it being off.
[Reply]
jonumberone 10:14 AM 01-18-2011
Yes i smoke in the same room as my humi.
I haven't noticed any ill effects on my sticks, but I have only been using it a few weeks.
After I turn it off an hour or two later I can still smell the ozone though not as strong.
I like the ozone smell, it smells clean and crisp to me, but my wife disagrees, she finds it to have a chemical type odor.
When I was kicking around the Idea of getting one, I found this thread

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...hlight=cleaner

I PM'd Walt (klipsch) about it because at the time this thread was a year old.
He was still using his and still loving it.
He may be able to better answer your question about long term exposure to your sticks.
[Reply]
massphatness 10:54 AM 01-18-2011
I have a Csonka I bought through Mark at Cigarmony. I use it whenever my gal is gone on an overnight trip as I am not "allowed" to smoke in the house. And as far as she knows, I don't.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:01 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
I like the ozone smell, it smells clean and crisp to me, but my wife disagrees, she finds it to have a chemical type odor.
She's spot on. :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 11:41 AM 01-18-2011
i have a csonka i use in my truck. so far so good. keeps the smell out of the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
jonumberone 11:42 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
She's spot on. :-)
FWIW.. My wife also thinks

Rainbows are amazing
Pretty Woman is the greatest movie ever made
Cigars are a waste of money
And Goodfella's was too violent :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:54 AM 01-18-2011

Rainbows are amazing
I'm impressed that she's 100% correct across so many cultures. :-)
That's a good woman, brother!!!
[Reply]
shilala 12:00 PM 01-18-2011
Oh yeah, I didn't just come in here to twist Dom's nipples...
I have an ozone machine, used to have a couple of them. It really works, but what I do is crank it up to max, leave, then when I come back I open up the windows for a few minutes.
I can't stand the ozone smell either, it makes me nautious.
We used to run a couple in the house all the time. There were two knobs, fan speed and ozone. I'd turn the zapper plate/ozone dial down real low and the fan up high, then it'd deliver a little ozone all the time. That didn't bother me at all.
I'm not sure how any of that is relevant, I guess I just wanted to say they really work, and you don't have to run them all the time.
[Reply]
BigAsh 12:13 PM 01-18-2011

Rainbows are amazing
:-):-):-)....WE MARRIED SISTERS....
[Reply]
php007 12:14 PM 01-18-2011
I have had this for three years and it works great. Made in the USA and easy to maintain.

http://www.air-zone.com/xt400800.html
[Reply]
357 12:45 PM 01-18-2011
My parents have one of these and it works great:

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Fresh-I...5378198&sr=1-2

For $120, it is hard to do much better. I think I'm going to pick one up for my sun/smoking room.
[Reply]
jledou 01:48 PM 01-18-2011
I have a Csonka and while it doesn't necessarily keep up real time it does do a nice job of clean up shortly after I have finished a cigar.
[Reply]
JDTexan 01:58 PM 01-18-2011
Does anyone suggest not running one of these in the same room as your humidor and believes that running the ozone machine for a short time will adversely affect cigars. I have heard yes and no, wanting to hear from those that have an ozone machine and run it in the same room as their cabinet/humidor.

Thanks for all the information so far guys, it is extremely helpful!
[Reply]
jonumberone 02:29 PM 01-18-2011
Justin,
I should mention that I have a whole house air cleaner/purifier attached to my furnace/ac that also produces ozone, tho at much lower levels than the machines being discussed here. Some form of climate control is in effect at my house 99% of the days, and I imagine some amount of ozone is present around the clock in my house. I usually run the machine I mentioned earlier for 15 to 20 min (about a 1/4 turn on the knob). How much Ozone is produced in that 20 min Vs all day by my furnace I don't know, so I can't answer your question in regards to these machines but I haven't noticed any issue with regards to long term exposure.
[Reply]
JDTexan 02:51 PM 01-18-2011
Justin,
I should mention that I have a whole house air cleaner/purifier attached to my furnace/ac that also produces ozone, tho at much lower levels than the machines being discussed here. Some form of climate control is in effect at my house 99% of the days, and I imagine some amount of ozone is present around the clock in my house. I usually run the machine I mentioned earlier for 15 to 20 min (about a 1/4 turn on the knob). How much Ozone is produced in that 20 min Vs all day by my furnace I don't know, so I can't answer your question in regards to these machines but I haven't noticed any issue with regards to long term exposure.
Thanks again for this great info Dom, much appreciated!
[Reply]
kydsid 06:38 PM 01-18-2011
I know that Csonka, says theirs is humidor safe. With the science I remember from college I cannot see a ozone generator, non-commercial, in a average room producing ozone would pose little to no threat to the cigars.

That said I will point out the one I use in the truck is very dependent on airflow, IMO. When I leave it on during work with the windows just cracked that mornings cigar will still leave a stink in the truck. I have to leave the truck in the garage over night with at least one window half way down for it to be effective.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:00 PM 01-18-2011
I can attest to Dom's unit. It is an Ozone machine and they work VERY well. They use these in hotels when people smoke in them and they are non smoking. Within 24 hours there is absolutely ZERO trace of smoke. Even the pickiest non-smoker won't smell a thing. You just need any Ozone Machine. It is noted you shouldn't run an ozone machine in a room you are in as it is bad for you. You'll get quite a headache, so be sure to turn the unit off before you are going to stay in the room. Let the ozone clear out for an hour or two.

EDIT

http://www.amazon.com/Ozone-Generato...409712&sr=1-13

These are the ones Starwood hotels use. Hope that helps out.
[Reply]
Ogre 09:18 PM 01-18-2011
I use an ioniac-pro Jr for the man cave. Bought for $99 online. Between that and an exhaust fan you cant tell i smoke in there.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up