Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Should you cut a cigar for a non-smoker
Yeah, it makes life easier and you can get on to the smoke 30 31.91%
No, give them the option of doing it themselves, even if they screw it up 8 8.51%
Take the time and show them how to cut, even if they dont care 56 59.57%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cutting non-smokers cigars
md4958 07:24 AM 11-04-2008
So I had a buddy over for a nice steak last night and after dinner I convinced him to have a smoke with me (peer pressure is AWESOME!). He is not normally a cigar smoker, but does smoke a pipe.

He selected a CAO Italia Novella out of my humi, and I grabbed a PAM Principe for myself.

Without thinking about it, I took his selection from him and cut it.

This morning I saw the two disks of cap in the sink I started thinking... Should I have offered him a cutter or did I do him a favor.

Or, should I have showed him how to cut a cigar?

I would appreciate your thougts for the future.
Moe
[Reply]
ucla695 07:27 AM 11-04-2008
I think you did him a favor. Chances are he wouldn't have cut off the right amount and it might have affected the draw or taste. This way, you gave him the best chance to enjoy the cigar and convert him to our evil ways. :-) You can always show him how to cut the next time he's over.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 07:29 AM 11-04-2008
I think cutting it for him is fine, but maybe ask him if he wants you to cut it for him next time.

An Italia for his first smoke? Glad he ate first.
[Reply]
md4958 07:44 AM 11-04-2008
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:

An Italia for his first smoke? Glad he ate first.
he picked it, with my warning. he liked the band i think. he had a pick of my whole humi, even the few that said "Habana" on them...
[Reply]
Commander Quan 07:48 AM 11-04-2008
I'd ask if he wanted you to cut it for him, or else show him how to cut it by laying the cutter flat on a table and standing the cigar upright and cutting it that way. Perhaps teaching him a little about cigars will go along way to him enjoying cigars more often.

It's like the old saying "Clip a cigar for a man and he'll smoke for a day, Teach a man to clip and he's wife will hate you for 10 lifetimes" :-)
[Reply]
croatan 08:00 AM 11-04-2008
I always say "want me to cut it for you?" as I pull it out. Then, I turn it at an angle so he (or she) can see how much I'm cutting off and say something like "all you have to do is just barely shave the cap."
[Reply]
md4958 08:02 AM 11-04-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:
I also way "want me to cut it for you?" as I pull it out. Then, I turn it at an angle so he (or she) can see how much I'm cutting off and say something like "all you have to do is just barely shave the cap."
Thats actually a great suggestion.
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:04 AM 11-04-2008
Whether new or old to cigars, cutting someones cigar should be thought of as a gracious move by the host.

I toast my friend's cigars (out of my Humi) for them unless I know they are better at it than I am! I wouldn't do this at a Herf mind you!
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:07 AM 11-04-2008
offering to cut is good, having a guest with an unraveling cigar wrapper is a nuisance for him, and can easily be remedied.
[Reply]
RGD. 08:13 AM 11-04-2008
I will normally take the cigar and while asking if they want me to cut it for them - cut it anyway.

Ron
[Reply]
mrreindeer 08:16 AM 11-04-2008
I voted show the guy how to do it....but it is a nice gesture to do it for him. I'd likely ask him if he wanted to do it himself though. I always ask my wife if she wants to cut herself (ouch! Image) or if she wants me to do it. She always wants me to do it but I always ask her anyway, just in case.
[Reply]
Mark 08:29 AM 11-04-2008
I cut and light any cigar I give to anyone, not to be an a-hole about it but because I want to serve my friends. They always get their smoke cut and lit before I light mine up.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 08:29 AM 11-04-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:
I always say "want me to cut it for you?" as I pull it out. Then, I turn it at an angle so he (or she) can see how much I'm cutting off and say something like "all you have to do is just barely shave the cap."

Great advice... this is how I approach it as well. Really wasn't sure how to vote in the poll... :-)

Excellent question for discussion, by the way! :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 08:33 AM 11-04-2008
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Whether new or old to cigars, cutting someones cigar should be thought of as a gracious move by the host.

I toast my friend's cigars (out of my Humi) for them unless I know they are better at it than I am! I wouldn't do this at a Herf mind you!
At most of the nicer B&Ms I have visited (Corona Cigar Store in Orlando, for instance) they ask if you would like to smoke one of your purchases and offer to cut, toast, and light it for you.

I appreciate the service. :-)
[Reply]
Scottw 08:33 AM 11-04-2008
Did your buddy seem to be objectionable to you clipping the stick? Maybe next time show him how to do it.
[Reply]
md4958 08:51 AM 11-04-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Did your buddy seem to be objectionable to you clipping the stick? Maybe next time show him how to do it.
Not at all.
[Reply]
Hardcz 08:57 AM 11-04-2008
I always cut for my non smoker friends now.... too many times they've cut at least a quarter inch PAST the cap...... and then they wonder why the cigar unravels.
[Reply]
dannyboy 09:22 AM 11-04-2008
I have learned to offer to cut, and then show them how as I do it. As stated above, letting them watch while you say, "Just shave the cap off" works great. Too many awkward moments with people asking if I can cut it for them and feeling bad about it, or watching someone lop off 1/4" made me realize that offering is a good idea.
[Reply]
groogs 09:32 AM 11-04-2008
I only have one friend that I smoke with on ocasion, and he only smokes cigars if he is with me. The first time we were having a smoke together, I showed him how to cut a cigar, using mine as an example, and then I let him cut his his own. I think cutting the cigar is part of the experience, so I wanted to let him do the honors. I think it is worth the time to show a non cigar smoker how to cut it properly.
[Reply]
Benwoo 09:36 AM 11-04-2008
I usually find myself heading a cigar circle training session, explaining and showing how to cut and toast as we all start up... I do usually ask if I need to cut for people as well if the don't feel comfortable.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up