Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Should you cut a cigar for a non-smoker
Yeah, it makes life easier and you can get on to the smoke 30 31.91%
No, give them the option of doing it themselves, even if they screw it up 8 8.51%
Take the time and show them how to cut, even if they dont care 56 59.57%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Cutting non-smokers cigars
Coz77 09:37 AM 11-04-2008
Wow I'm surprised I'm the only one who voted "No, give them the option of doing it themselves, even if they screw it up"

I just show them Ron's (RGD) post... After reading that one Ive never screwed up a cut. Best resource out there IMO.
[Reply]
Silound 09:57 AM 11-04-2008
My standard tactic is to pull out the cutter, open it flat on a counter top or some other flat surface, and show them the "stand it up" method. I find that once I show them this, most people tend to pick up on the amount they need to cut each time, and many end up cutting their own regularly after a few cuts.

As far as pointed caps, I simply tell them to cut a tiny bit off, and test the draw. Keep taking off a little bit until you like how much air you pull through and then you're set.
[Reply]
dcamacho 10:06 AM 11-04-2008
definitely walk him through it, show him how to.
[Reply]
rhythm11 08:41 PM 11-04-2008
I think that for someone that is not a cigar smoker and has no real interest in the hobby, that I would just cut it for him.

I recently had an experience about this...After class one night, I asked my professor if he smoked cigars, his reply was sometimes. The reason I asked is that his name, appearance, and accent had me to believe he was from a country that may enjoy a good cigar, and I just so happened to have a few nice sticks on me :-), so I handed him over a couple. After talking for a couple more minutes he asked me if I had a cutter, so I took out my cutter and handed it him. He proceeded to go through the motions of cutting the cap off and then slide the cutter down what seemed like an inch from the head. I immediately asked him if he would like for me to cut it and he said yes. I think that his smoking experience would have been different had he cut off the 'cap' where he was going to...
[Reply]
last_ace 08:49 PM 11-04-2008
I agree with cutting it for them, like if you were at a fine smoking establishment. Keeping them from any embarrassment is most important.
[Reply]
Sr Mike 07:39 AM 11-05-2008
I say No. It is a good experience for them, also it is far more fun to laugh at them if they screw up.
[Reply]
tsolomon 07:50 AM 11-05-2008
I have at least two friends who still bite the end off of their cigar, so I'm opting for cutting it for them the first time. Maybe that will generate enough interest for them to want to learn how to do it. :-)
[Reply]
smokin5 08:14 PM 11-05-2008
Call me elitist (you wouldn't be the first), but I always cut AND light cigars for my casual stogie smokin' friends. It's just way easier all around. Seen too many people butcher them and then set fire to them in such a prolonged way that they're never going to enjoy the poor charred unravelling thing.
[Reply]
Darrell 08:23 PM 11-05-2008
I always clip my non cigar smoking guests sticks. I'd rather see it done correctly than cringe at them slaughtering a nice stick, I also pour them a nice glass of something to have with it. :-)
[Reply]
Costa 08:34 PM 11-05-2008
ALWAYS cut it for them. I have seen too many good sticks with the first 3 inches lopped off. :-)
[Reply]
jaycarla 09:24 PM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:
I always say "want me to cut it for you?" as I pull it out. Then, I turn it at an angle so he (or she) can see how much I'm cutting off and say something like "all you have to do is just barely shave the cap."

Perfect.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up