Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 7
« First < 345 67 >
Sports>New England Patriots
mosesbotbol 06:18 AM 01-24-2015
There was one interesting hypothesis floated on the 98.5 (Masshole's know this station) where someone said the balls could've been filled with very hot air to pressure, measured by NFL and then when the temp drops (or normalizes), they are under inflated. In doing this, the Pats did not "break a rule" as they were filled to the correct temp and not deflated or altered before the game. The bladder and leather are thick enough where the refs would not know the air inside was heated...
[Reply]
dijit 07:34 AM 01-24-2015
Thats possible but very unlikely. To get pressure changes of what is being rumored the air temp would need to drop 100 degrees or more.
[Reply]
8zeros 07:39 AM 01-24-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
There was one interesting hypothesis floated on the 98.5 (Masshole's know this station) where someone said the balls could've been filled with very hot air to pressure, measured by NFL and then when the temp drops (or normalizes), they are under inflated. In doing this, the Pats did not "break a rule" as they were filled to the correct temp and not deflated or altered before the game. The bladder and leather are thick enough where the refs would not know the air inside was heated...
A 10% pressure change would take a 10% temperature change or a 10% volume change. Or some combination.
P=V/T , T is *K (absolute)
Maybe the leather was dried out so that it stretched a bit as it rehumidified.
[Reply]
8zeros 07:55 AM 01-24-2015
PS. I did the math. It turns out that a drop 85*F would do it. Less if the balls stretched for some reason. I don't think this is likely.

If only people cared so much about laws being broken by people who enforce the laws against them. (IRS)
[Reply]
dijit 08:02 AM 01-24-2015
The ratio equations I found show .10% +/- for every 10% in degrees C.
[Reply]
dijit 08:04 AM 01-24-2015
I still dont think it affected the outcome of the game very much.
[Reply]
dvickery 09:50 AM 01-24-2015
In the CFL ... The offense supplies the game ( in use ) balls ... Your offense your private/personal balls ... Other teams offense = their balls .

Problem solved .

Derrek
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 10:08 AM 01-24-2015
Originally Posted by dvickery:
In the CFL ... The offense supplies the game ( in use ) balls ... Your offense your private/personal balls ... Other teams offense = their balls .

Problem solved .

Derrek
We can learn much from our neighbors to the north. Poutine should have taught us that lesson long ago.

:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:25 AM 01-24-2015
200 degree hot air, 40 degree playing temperature is quite swing and could be enough to do the trick. A pure oxygen would also permeate through the bladder faster than normal air.

Would 140 degree temperature swing be enough to deflate the balls?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:33 PM 01-24-2015
Originally Posted by dvickery:

Problem solved .

Derrek
I believe if I am reading this correctly this is what we do here, the patriots supply the balls for the patriots offense and the colts supplied the balls for the colts offense, this is how every game is and why it's such a big deal and "unfair advantage" to the Patriots because the balls they were playing with (giggle) were easier to grip / throw and catch, specially in that weather.

Or did I read something wrong there, my comprehension is just above wino this morning.
[Reply]
Thrak 02:40 PM 01-24-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I believe if I am reading this correctly this is what we do here, the patriots supply the balls for the patriots offense and the colts supplied the balls for the colts offense, this is how every game is and why it's such a big deal and "unfair advantage" to the Patriots because the balls they were playing with (giggle) were easier to grip / throw and catch, specially in that weather.

Or did I read something wrong there, my comprehension is just above wino this morning.
You read it correctly, he typed it poorly. I had to read it 3 or 4 times to figure out what he means...

In that league, the home team provides the game balls for BOTH teams offenses. ie - a single set of game balls everyone uses

In our league, each team brings their own set. ie - two sets of game balls, one for each offensive unit
[Reply]
yourchoice 02:52 PM 01-24-2015
Yes, each team currently uses their own balls. Interestingly, the change was spearheaded by P. Manning and Brady back in 2006. I kind of remember it being referred to then as the Manning/Brady Rule. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d-deflategame/

IMHO, if Brady is so adamant about how his balls feel, he would have noticed they were 2lbs under inflated...imagine a pro golfer being handed a different driver than they use every day. They would notice it in a second.

I predict a severe penalty after the Super Bowl, Belecheck getting suspended, possibly (but unlikely) Brady, draft pick(s) and fines. Too big of a story and second time getting caught. :-)
[Reply]
dijit 03:24 PM 01-24-2015
I predict they will lose the third round draft pick and the team will be fined something under $100 k. So basically a slap on the wrists. That the team will barely notice. Not even as severe as the last time.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:50 PM 01-24-2015
Thinking further on this, I have concluded that were I Brady and married to Gisele, my balls would be deflated also.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:50 PM 01-24-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
200 degree hot air, 40 degree playing temperature is quite swing and could be enough to do the trick. A pure oxygen would also permeate through the bladder faster than normal air.

Would 140 degree temperature swing be enough to deflate the balls?
I read that balls inflated at 68ºF to 13.5 psi will read 11.6psi at 32ºF but that wasn't the temperature at game time. I read an article where the reporter spoke with a former NFL ball boy. He said that they all inflate their balls to suit the QB, scrub the surface with a brush to remove the slippery coating and then bring them to the Refs locker room. He said that there was always a gauge there but they usually just squeezed and thumped them a bit and examined the laces. He also stated that everybody rolls the dice on inflation pressures figuring that if a couple get rejected it's no big deal. He went on to say that once the balls are approved they move directly to the field where it would be nearly impossible to tamper with them without being seen. An under-inflated ball, though easier to grip, would only be useful in short situations as it would not carry as far, thrown or kicked. If the NFL were serious about cheating, they would start vacating wins where cheating is found. I've never heard of that happening.
[Reply]
badbriar 09:53 PM 01-24-2015
Friggin Flaccid Football Flingers! :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:20 AM 01-25-2015
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
I predict a severe penalty after the Super Bowl, Belecheck getting suspended, possibly (but unlikely) Brady, draft pick(s) and fines. Too big of a story and second time getting caught. :-)
Belecheck was saying they tested several balls at different psi's and no one could tell what the psi was with any accuracy of each ball.

I believe you are correct in what will happen after the Super Bowl, but I think the fine will be light (if any fine is assigned). The rest of the league I'd imagine does not want this precedent set for something they are all in violation of at some point during the season...
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:11 PM 01-25-2015
I wouldn't expect them to be able to tell you what the psi was of the ball, but he didn't say people couldn't tell which ones were under-inflated and easier to grip.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:43 PM 01-25-2015
Here is the latest statement out of Foxboro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGRyTGUbv4
[Reply]
yourchoice 05:38 PM 01-25-2015
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Here is the latest statement out of Foxboro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGRyTGUbv4
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
« First < 345 67 >
Up