Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>GPS questions....
DMK 04:56 PM 02-05-2011
I'm thinking of picking up a GPS, but don't have a clue about them... (no smart comments about me not having a clue...):-)

What do you have?, likes / dislikes / suggestions?
[Reply]
Ratters 04:58 PM 02-05-2011
I have a Garmin Nuvi, I forget which model, but it works great. I recommend buying from Amazon. No sales tax (most likely) and their prices seem to be the cheapest out there.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 05:31 PM 02-05-2011
What are you using the GPS for? Just for driving? Geocaching? Hiking/camping? Fishing/boating? Targeting bad guys?
[Reply]
joeobx 05:40 PM 02-05-2011
Garmin nuvi gets my vote. Go with a wide screen.
[Reply]
DMK 05:48 PM 02-05-2011
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:
What are you using the GPS for? Just for driving? Geocaching? Hiking/camping? Fishing/boating? Targeting bad guys?
Just for driving.
I just want the wifey to stop nagging....:-):-):-)
[Reply]
T.G 05:59 PM 02-05-2011
I have a Garmin nvui 265WT (midrange model w/ wide screen and lifetime traffic) it's very easy and intuitive to use, and I really have only one minor complaint, the volume of the speaker could be louder when it calls out turns.

We had some additional discussion on the GPSes and how some are less user friendly than others here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37025
[Reply]
Bill86 06:02 PM 02-05-2011
Honestly the GPS on my Iphone is better than any GPS I've tested. I've had all the decent GPS brands and had minimal luck. Could just be the goofy roads in Tennessee :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 06:40 PM 02-05-2011
Garmin nüvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-1450LMT...6956089&sr=8-1

Love it! Have also used a Tom Tom and a Magellan but really like the size of this and the lifetime updates. Lane assist is also very useful and helpful. The traffic feature isn't really all that helpful- maybe someday it will be- and I don't have a bluetooth phone. However, I really love this GPS.

A GPS and XM radio are musts for travel!

Yahoo Maps, Mapquest and GPS units can be inaccurate- you pays your money and takes your chances. However, with a GPS you have options, with printed directions from YM or MP you're SOL.
[Reply]
Bageland2000 06:42 PM 02-05-2011
Originally Posted by Ratters:
I have a Garmin Nuvi, I forget which model, but it works great. I recommend buying from Amazon. No sales tax (most likely) and their prices seem to be the cheapest out there.
+1

Garmin nuvi 265WT is AWESOME for the price. Got it for my girlfriend for christmas, she loves it..
[Reply]
emopunker2004 07:00 PM 02-05-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Honestly the GPS on my Iphone is better than any GPS I've tested. I've had all the decent GPS brands and had minimal luck. Could just be the goofy roads in Tennessee :-)
same here with my HTC Evo android phone. It's better than my Tom TOm
[Reply]
Wolfgang 07:05 PM 02-05-2011
I love Garmin!
[Reply]
taltos 08:18 PM 02-05-2011
I have had a Garmin Nuvi 1350T since last summer. I love it and it is accurate as long as I keep the maps updated. Garmin does also have an on line GPS training course so that you can safely and properly use your unit.:-)
[Reply]
Eleven 08:37 PM 02-05-2011
Garmins get my vote too, although I really dig my Droid as a GPS. If my wife and kid didn't want to play with it so much while we drive it would become my new full time GPS.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 08:42 PM 02-05-2011
I would experiment with you phone if it has the capabality. Then look at the garmins. I have always loved garmin. I have a Delorme now and this is my final GPS I think. But for in the car I just use my phone.
[Reply]
jcruse64 12:45 PM 02-06-2011
I have, I think, the same Garmin as TG, and it has been a good one so far. I had a Nuvi 8xx, can't remember the exact number. It had bluetooth (never used it) and voice command. While the VC worked fine, it was NOT worth the extra coin. Have not had a chance to try this newer Garmin in pedestrian mode yet.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:46 PM 02-06-2011
I have a Tom Tom and couldn't be happier.
[Reply]
captain53 02:04 PM 02-06-2011
Garmin is top of the line - they make most of the top line stuff for aircraft and marine use. But many folks seem to like Tom Tom as a little more user friendly. Both are good just find the model/price that fits your needs. Screen size is a big factor and bigger is better to be able to read on the go.:-)
[Reply]
tsolomon 02:48 PM 02-06-2011
I have a Garmin Nuvi as well and really like it. We always take it when we travel, makes it easier to get out of and then back to the airport. We plug in the addresses of the hotel and any other places we are going before we leave and our trip starts out so much better. Need to find a place to eat or the next rest stop, just query the GPS and you will know how to get there and how long it will take. You no longer have to settle for McD's when you can get to a nice place off the main road and then easily back to the highway. :-)
[Reply]
Ratters 06:15 PM 02-06-2011
Ah, found the one I have. Works great and is super cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-255-3-5.../ref=pd_cp_e_1
[Reply]
ashtonlady 07:10 PM 02-06-2011
I have a Garmin Nuvi. I love it. I use it when my husband is not with me and I am driving out of town. I also use it when my husband is driving when we are in a new city so we dont kill each other.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up