Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Hey Mommy! Look what I can do!
Emjaysmash 03:17 PM 02-03-2011
So today in Organic Chemistry we conducted one of the coolest experiments!

Brace yourselves for...

THE CHEMILUMINESCENCE
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:24 PM 02-03-2011
OK, so what was I watching?
[Reply]
icehog3 05:28 PM 02-03-2011
I'd drink it.
[Reply]
longknocker 05:28 PM 02-03-2011
M.J., The Point Is..............:-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 05:33 PM 02-03-2011
I found it odd how there were all the Palm pre videos to the right. That relates how?
[Reply]
icehog3 05:42 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
I found it odd how there were all the Palm pre videos to the right. That relates how?
M.J.'s video makes you think of Rosie Palm? :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 06:55 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
M.J.'s video makes you think of Rosie Palm? :-)
:-):-):-) Nooooooooooope :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:18 PM 02-03-2011
There was a blue liquid being stirred, right? Why all the excitment?
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:33 PM 02-03-2011
All the excitment was I made it today in Chemistry.

And I uploaded it from a palm prix phone so I guess thats why all the vids came up from that.

Well... at least my Mom liked it.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 09:43 PM 02-03-2011
Sweet looking spinning liquid. You should get one of those robo stirs I see on TV it stirs so you dont have to. Then you can have glowing blue liquid all the time. So was it the chemicals that made the chemlight juice
[Reply]
hammondc 09:51 PM 02-03-2011
whats in it?
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:51 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:
Sweet looking spinning liquid. You should get one of those robo stirs I see on TV it stirs so you dont have to. Then you can have glowing blue liquid all the time. So was it the chemicals that made the chemlight juice
We first synthesized Bis(2,4,6-trichlorophenyl) Oxalate, which was then dissolved with 9,10-diphenylanthracene in diethyl phthalate. The glowing began when a mixture of diethyl phthalate and 35% hydrogen peroxide was added to the former mixture.

I'm sure that's probably more then you wanted to know.
[Reply]
Tauma 05:59 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
We first synthesized Bis(2,4,6-trichlorophenyl) Oxalate, which was then dissolved with 9,10-diphenylanthracene in diethyl phthalate. The glowing began when a mixture of diethyl phthalate and 35% hydrogen peroxide was added to the former mixture.

lol dude, that rocks. Chemistry is awesome. It's not as cool as it's parent, but still awesome. That wasn't a cigar floating in there was it? :-) I noticed that the speed of rotation would change, what caused that? Also, on the side of the page were a bunch of videos about Luminol; is that pretty much what you guys made?
[Reply]
Devanmc 06:01 AM 02-04-2011

:-) :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 06:31 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by Tauma:
lol dude, that rocks. Chemistry is awesome. It's not as cool as it's parent, but still awesome. That wasn't a cigar floating in there was it? :-) I noticed that the speed of rotation would change, what caused that? Also, on the side of the page were a bunch of videos about Luminol; is that pretty much what you guys made?
We can control the speed of the spinning using the magnet in the hotplate (it makes stirring a lot easier!

I'm thinking that Luminol is pretty much similar to what we made.
[Reply]
Wanger 06:47 AM 02-04-2011
There are a few compounds that can be synthesized that exhibit chemiluminescence. I can't recall tham off the top of my head (I'm an Analytical Chemist, not an Organic Chemist). In science shows/demonstrations for kids, a lot of times, they will use indicators in acids and bases to evoke a color change. The cool thing about those is that 2 colorless solutions are mixed together (usually phenolpthalein is used as the indicator, which gives a pink final color) to get that colored solution.

When my job here ends, I think it would be cool to get into forensic chemistry. They do some cool stuff and use some cool technology.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 07:27 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by Wanger:
There are a few compounds that can be synthesized that exhibit chemiluminescence. I can't recall tham off the top of my head (I'm an Analytical Chemist, not an Organic Chemist). In science shows/demonstrations for kids, a lot of times, they will use indicators in acids and bases to evoke a color change. The cool thing about those is that 2 colorless solutions are mixed together (usually phenolpthalein is used as the indicator, which gives a pink final color) to get that colored solution.

When my job here ends, I think it would be cool to get into forensic chemistry. They do some cool stuff and use some cool technology.
I took Analytical Chem last semester, and let me tell you, it kicked my butt!
I really like those experiments thats use color change indicators (although titrations are a PITA.)

Forensic Chem would be a really fun area to get into!
[Reply]
AD720 07:28 AM 02-04-2011
Should I try this at home?
[Reply]
kaisersozei 07:49 AM 02-04-2011
So today in Organic Chemistry
I got this far and my mind seized up.

Flashbacks, dude, terrible flashbacks!

Pre-med students!

Bad grading curves where an 84 = F!

Too much memorization!