Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Any Blues Fans Here?
Mr. Ed 08:30 AM 10-21-2009
Favorite blues song, group, artist, album, whatever, interested in discovering some new blues music.

My favorite artist has to be Howlin' Wolf, and my favorite song is the version of Stormy Monday performed by the Allman Brothers in At Filmore East with close seconds being Howlin' Wolf's version of Killing Floor and Little Walter's version of Willie Dixon's My Babe. As far as favorite group overall I would have to say Paul Butterfield Blues Band.
[Reply]
Scothew 08:52 AM 10-21-2009
Im not 100% sure if its classified as blues or not, but SRV "Dirty Pool" from teh Live at Caranagie Hall album. Had his brother Jimmy Lee and also Room Full of Blues horn section in the track. I love stuff like Allman Brothers, Derek Trucks Band, Eric Clapton etc. Grew up listening to all of that stuff.
[Reply]
BeachBonsai 09:00 AM 10-21-2009
The Thrill is Gone by B B King

So much so that I bought a Gibson "Lucille" Guitar
[Reply]
macpappy 09:38 AM 10-21-2009
I'd recommend you visit and subscribe to roadhousepodcast.com for the "finest blues you've never heard" if you don't already.

I have close to 1,000 blues songs on my ipod and they pretty much cover every type of blues you would like to listen to. The artist range from Big Al Carson to Muddy waters. Right now I'm listening to a lot of "swamp blues" and Texas blues. Some of my current favorites are Tab Benoit, Brian Langlinais, Smoking Joe Kubek and John Winters. Also check out Jon Cleary if you haven't already.
[Reply]
smokin5 09:44 AM 10-21-2009
You want blues?
I got yer blues right HERE, baby!:-)
Sounds like you've found the 50's-60's electric blues,
but you're just scratching the veneer.
If you like the Muddy Waters & Paul Betterfield sound, look into
what is termed 'Chicago Blues'. Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker,
Magic Slim & the Teardrops, Buddy Guy, Albert King (better than his brother, B.B., IMHO), Otis Rush, Otis Spann, etc. Check out a lot of the 50's-60's artists on the old Chess record label. BTW, most of the Chess songs, played by Muddy, Howlin', etc., were actually written or arranged by Willie Dixon.

Newer good stuff of the electric nature include Coco Montoya, Luther Allison, (Bernard Allison (son of Luther Allison), Sonny Landreth (Clapton called Landreth his favorite contemporary blues guitarist), Eric Sardinas (electric dobro - very Johnny Winter-like), Anson Funderburgh......I could go on all day.

PM me your address & I'll throw together a tasty Blues sampler for you.
Probably take me a few weeks, though, as I've got my hands full with some CD projects & a couple of guerilla vacations (hit n' run).
[Reply]
icehog3 09:49 AM 10-21-2009
Glad we are not talking about hockey. :-)

Love me some blues....was lucky enough to see Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters and Koko Taylor before they passed, and several other blues legends throughout the years at various blues clubs and Bluesfest in Chicago.

Check out the movie "Cadillac Records" is you get a chance...Beyonce Knowles is awesome as a young Etta James.
[Reply]
heavyd 10:01 AM 10-21-2009
Oh yes, big blues fan here! Freddie King and Albert King dominate my collection, but there are so many... Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" on DVD-audio (high resolution sound) is unreal. It sounds like Muddy is sittin' on yer lap :-)
[Reply]
Blindjimme 10:15 AM 10-21-2009
Oh yeah! A lot of favories already mentioned, big fan of the King trilogy- BB, Albert and Freddy. Buddy Guy ( my avatar ) Got to throw mention to Son House and Robert Johnson.
[Reply]
tsolomon 10:57 AM 10-21-2009
One group that I have been enjoying lately is the Insomniacs. I really like B.B. King's Bluesville on XM, lots of good stuff including the “You and Me with B.B. King Program”. The last one I heard was B.B. and Buddy Guy talking about the history of the Blues how it had changed over the years. :-)
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 11:49 AM 10-21-2009
Yea, I'm familiar with a lot of Albert king and Muddy Waters stuff. The only Albert King stuff I like though is what he recorded for Stax with Booker T and the MGs as his backing band (Born Under a Bad Sign album I believe).

Any less known blues musicians or contemporary stuff out there that's worth a listen?
[Reply]
TideRoll 07:54 AM 10-23-2009
Big blues and jazz fan here. Last night while browsing I listened to Jimmy Thackery, along with some 61 South, Candye Kane, Dave Weld and The Imperials and Tab Benoit.
[Reply]
The Poet 08:05 AM 10-23-2009
:-) , to what's above in toto. As for electric blues (as opposed to traditional, e.g. Sonny Terry etc.), check out the stuff Johnny Winter has done for Alligator Records out of Chicago. Also, locate one of the best "lost" albums of the rock era, The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions, with backup band of Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Bill Wyman, and Charlie Watts.
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 01:23 PM 10-23-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions, with backup band of Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Bill Wyman, and Charlie Watts.
I have bought that one. It's pretty darn good, not sure if I like Sitting on Top of the World here as much as the original, Red Rooster is amazing!
[Reply]
gvarsity 03:13 PM 10-23-2009
I am a fan Howlin Wolf. I'm listening to Robert Johnson at the moment.
[Reply]
WyoBob 03:35 PM 10-23-2009
Originally Posted by smokin5:
You want blues?
I got yer blues right HERE, baby!:-)
Sounds like you've found the 50's-60's electric blues,
but you're just scratching the veneer.
If you like the Muddy Waters & Paul Betterfield sound, look into
what is termed 'Chicago Blues'. Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker,
Magic Slim & the Teardrops, Buddy Guy, Albert King (better than his brother, B.B., IMHO), Otis Rush, Otis Spann, etc. Check out a lot of the 50's-60's artists on the old Chess record label. BTW, most of the Chess songs, played by Muddy, Howlin', etc., were actually written or arranged by Willie Dixon.

Newer good stuff of the electric nature include Coco Montoya, Luther Allison, (Bernard Allison (son of Luther Allison), Sonny Landreth (Clapton called Landreth his favorite contemporary blues guitarist), Eric Sardinas (electric dobro - very Johnny Winter-like), Anson Funderburgh......I could go on all day.

PM me your address & I'll throw together a tasty Blues sampler for you.
Probably take me a few weeks, though, as I've got my hands full with some CD projects & a couple of guerilla vacations (hit n' run).
Listen to this guy. He knows his stuff!

smokin5 sent me a Luther Alison CD he put together and it's outstanding. I'd never listened much to this kind of music but I will now, that's for sure.

Thanks, smokin!

WyoBob
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 03:42 PM 10-23-2009
Son Seals is one of my faves. I also enjoy Joe Bonamassa and Dave Hole.

MCS
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:42 PM 10-23-2009
Huge blues fan and have been since I saw Muddy Waters in Gainesville in 1980. I love John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf, Little Walter, Elmore James, Sonny Boy Williams, Wille Dixon, BB, Freddie, Albert, Albert Collins, Robert Johnson, Lightnin Hopkins, Junior Wells... I love 'em all!!! For more contemporary blues I love the current Allman Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi (sp) Jimmy Thackery, Albert Castiglia, Eric Clapton, Jonny Lang, and Rory Block. There are so many more... the blues are the roots... everything else is the fruits!!!
[Reply]
pmwz 04:52 PM 10-23-2009
Originally Posted by BeachBonsai:
The Thrill is Gone by B B King
love this song.
i have a couple of gigabyte blues on my computer. a lot of the cadillac records stuff, some bb king and a couple of other cds.
i am going listen to couple of artists mentioned in this thread when i have the time.
[Reply]
nozero 05:23 PM 10-23-2009
Wake up mama!

The Allman Brothers Band - Statesboro Blues

[Reply]
kenstogie 07:20 PM 10-23-2009
Love Jason Ricci and the New bloods (Who?) EC, JP, Allman Bro's, etc, etc Gary Moore, etc
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up