Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 95 of 99
« First < 4585939495 9697 > Last »
General Discussion>Wristwatch collectors out there?
Remo 08:24 PM 07-14-2016

Another Promaster inbound from Japan, stainless steel 300m diver.
Attached:
[Reply]
Dave128 10:23 AM 07-15-2016
Nice. How many do you have in your collection?
[Reply]
Remo 10:34 AM 07-15-2016
Originally Posted by Dave128:
Nice. How many do you have in your collection?
Only a few, I'm kind of a one in one out guy now, used to have way to many watches!
[Reply]
Dave128 02:52 PM 07-15-2016
Originally Posted by Remo:
Only a few, I'm kind of a one in one out guy now, used to have way to many watches!
I have three that I rotate, four if you count an old Mickey Mouse watch that is in storage.
[Reply]
HabanosBob 03:30 PM 07-15-2016
I just purchased a Hamilton Pilot Automatic with the black face - wanted to save the $18 shipping so I won't get it 'till next week - pretty much a bargain on Jomashop with $10 off with their promo - similar style as the IWC Pilot (not near as nice) and $600 vs $6000 - retro leather band that I might replace. This makes watch number 23
[Reply]
HabanosBob 09:11 PM 07-29-2016
Sent back the Hamilton - too big - got a Nixon Tangent - Costco - it has an indicator for the tides which is helpful when trying to pilot the Duffy under bridges - keeping this one :-)
[Reply]
billybarue 10:52 AM 07-30-2016
Are Shinola watches any good/collectible. Worried it's just hype - I know nothing about watches.

Wife's family is nuts - she bought a Shinola Arganite 705 w/ 20 mm bracelet for her brother as a peace offering for Christmas. Huge fight last month and I now have it. She can't return it now, but I don't wear watches.

http://www.shinola.com/shop/therunwe...FQumaQodauIBBA

http://www.shinola.com/shop/watch-st...-bracelet.html
[Reply]
HabanosBob 01:27 PM 07-30-2016
Shinola's been around only a few years - I don't own one but like the styles - I did notice Costco in California just started carrying them in the last month or so - that speaks to Shinola's ability to handle both volume and returns - doubt it'll be collectible - if you have to, there's always ebay - turn the watch into cigars!

Sorry about the family feud - life is way to short - maybe a vintage cigar with your brother in law - Good luck! :-)
[Reply]
billybarue 03:42 PM 07-30-2016
He's a real sh*t bird - I stay out of it. Thankfully it's probably over, my wife's sacrificed enough.

Beyond styling, and If not collectible - is it a quality watch? Good components, movement, workmanship, well made, etc
[Reply]
croatan 05:27 PM 07-30-2016
My wife (with the help of a good friend who owns a jewelry store) surprised me with this for my birthday. It wasn't even remotely on my radar and the custom panda speedy I had made and posted here a few years ago still gets more wrist time, but this one makes me smile every time I put it on.

[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 05:55 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by billybarue:
Are Shinola watches any good/collectible
I owned one and then sold it a year later. Got it on a Disney cruise two years ago. I really knew nothing about watches.....still don't really, but I know what I like and what I don't like more than I did when I bought that watch.

It was a bit big for my liking and honestly, today, I could never see paying that kind of money for a quartz watch. I prefer my Orient all black Mako a lot more, and for a fraction of the price......just something about knowing it doesn't have a battery in it....old school.

I'd say treat it like anything. If you like it and you like wearing it....then keep it....if you don't and its just going to sit in a drawer....sell it.
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 06:03 PM 07-30-2016
On another note, I purchased, about 6 months ago off eBay, a seiko pepsi diver from 1977 (my birth year). Seller sells quite a few refurb seiko's there and said what he had done, but like anything, he does it as a side job/hobby and can't guarantee....plus he's in Australia.

Anyways, if I take it off for any longer than about 9-10 hours, it will stop.....I also have noticed a few times in the last 6 months, that after a day where I may not have worn it much, it may be ticking when I put it on, but may stop later that morning....like it just isn't winding as much.

Any place you can suggest I send it in for a complete service/repair? I found a local guy who has a great reputation, but he does it out of his house and everything is by appointment only. I'm kinda afraid I'll be in the same boat if something happens a year from now.

Thanks for any suggestions!
[Reply]
HabanosBob 08:50 PM 07-30-2016
The Shinola is made well enough to keep if that's a consideration and you like the style. The arganite 705 is the movement (quartz) and they put it in a lot of their watches - which one (model) do you have? :-)
[Reply]
HabanosBob 08:53 PM 07-30-2016
In LA we have a jewelry district with lots of old school watch repair guys - sounds like the Seiko needs a service and a watch winder :-)
[Reply]
billybarue 09:20 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by HabanosBob:
The Shinola is made well enough to keep if that's a consideration and you like the style. The arganite 705 is the movement (quartz) and they put it in a lot of their watches - which one (model) do you have? :-)
In my post above I put the hyperlinks for both the watch and the band. It's a 41 mm runwell - silver case with a black face and white lettering. I really like the band. I also included that hyperlink - it's the 20 mm stainless bracelet
[Reply]
billybarue 09:27 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack:
On another note, I purchased, about 6 months ago off eBay, a seiko pepsi diver from 1977 (my birth year). Seller sells quite a few refurb seiko's there and said what he had done, but like anything, he does it as a side job/hobby and can't guarantee....plus he's in Australia.

Anyways, if I take it off for any longer than about 9-10 hours, it will stop.....I also have noticed a few times in the last 6 months, that after a day where I may not have worn it much, it may be ticking when I put it on, but may stop later that morning....like it just isn't winding as much.

Any place you can suggest I send it in for a complete service/repair? I found a local guy who has a great reputation, but he does it out of his house and everything is by appointment only. I'm kinda afraid I'll be in the same boat if something happens a year from now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have the "Colonel Pogue" Seiko 6139 chronograph. My Dad bought it on R&R in Hong Kong when he was in Vietnam.

http://blog.dreamchrono.com/2013/11/seiko-6139-pogue/

I cannot keep that thing from running slow, the date/time Windows being off, the stop watch not resetting, etc etc. I am not going to spend any more money trying to get it repaired. I just wear it as a bracelet sometimes. I love the look of it but it just is not reliable.
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:31 PM 08-17-2016
I have 2 watches I wear regularly - a Bernardt Officers watch and a Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage Red. Love them both. The Bernhardt is built in the USA with Swiss components, and the Steinhart is Swiss made. When I'm camping or fishing I wear a Casio G-Shock.

[Reply]
Remo 07:54 PM 08-17-2016
The Ocean One is a nice watch :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:44 PM 08-17-2016
Originally Posted by croatan:
My wife (with the help of a good friend who owns a jewelry store) surprised me with this for my birthday. It wasn't even remotely on my radar and the custom panda speedy I had made and posted here a few years ago still gets more wrist time, but this one makes me smile every time I put it on.

That's some watch! Very nice!!! :-)
[Reply]
sikk50 12:05 PM 08-18-2016
Originally Posted by croatan:

That is stunning
[Reply]
Page 95 of 99
« First < 4585939495 9697 > Last »
Up