Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Anyone else see this?
Sadden 07:43 PM 02-22-2014
Boveda did some "testing" and claimed HF beads don't regulate the humidity. Looks very flakey to me. Note the disabled comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPqKLkBLFU
[Reply]
MrClean 08:17 PM 02-22-2014
Well, I'm no expert but I've seen my HF beads take the humidity from 80% down to my normal 63-65%. This was when I was seasoning my drawers/shelves and had removed everything. Put the beads back in first and within 2 days it was back to normal. :-)
[Reply]
equetefue 09:18 PM 02-22-2014
Wow. Really makes you wonder
[Reply]
T.G 10:27 PM 02-22-2014
I'm shocked, just shocked to hear that a company might use propaganda in their advertising campaign.
[Reply]
8zeros 07:55 AM 02-23-2014
I couldn't finish watching. My critical thinking meter was snapping back and forth. Seems like the guy could be a good speech writer for a politician. His introductory statement was making contradictory or unrelated claims.

BTW, I got do dog in this hunt. I think any of those products will work good enough.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 09:16 AM 02-23-2014
I've been pronouncing boveda wrong all these years :-)
[Reply]
tsolomon 10:26 AM 02-23-2014
I wonder how they prepped the HF beads before sealing them in the container? I'm sure that I could soak my beads and seal them up in a really small container to produce this same result. The real question is how many Boveda packs would be needed to support the 60% RH in my coolers and how long they would last before I needed to replace them. :-)
[Reply]
Sadden 01:52 PM 02-23-2014
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
I wonder how they prepped the HF beads before sealing them in the container? I'm sure that I could soak my beads and seal them up in a really small container to produce this same result. The real question is how many Boveda packs would be needed to support the 60% RH in my coolers and how long they would last before I needed to replace them. :-)
Even if the beads were fully saturated wouldn't they only release moisture till their setpoint?

Unless they were literally still dripping wet...
[Reply]
tsolomon 02:18 PM 02-23-2014
Originally Posted by Sadden:
Even if the beads were fully saturated wouldn't they only release moisture till their setpoint?

Unless they were literally still dripping wet...
In my desktops where I use HF beads, they tend to dry out at a certain rate and have to be sprayed to wet them. You can get them pretty wet and put them back in the humidor. I know that I have raised the RH over what the beads are set for by wetting them too much.
[Reply]
Subvet642 04:55 PM 02-23-2014
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
In my desktops where I use HF beads, they tend to dry out at a certain rate and have to be sprayed to wet them. You can get them pretty wet and put them back in the humidor. I know that I have raised the RH over what the beads are set for by wetting them too much.
Me too, but not by that much. If one follows the instructions, they're foolproof. Furthermore, he rigged the test by using four Boveda packs. I call :-) because he says the hygros are calibrated; but to what rh? It's also funny that the Heartfelt Bead tube he uses is a red capped one, which is supposed to be for 60% rh. :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:24 PM 02-23-2014
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
LoL, me too... :-)
[Reply]
stearns 06:22 AM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
That's the only thing I learned from that video
[Reply]
RobR1205 06:28 AM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by stearns:
That's the only thing I learned from that video
:-)
[Reply]
Up