Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor question
Oshay 03:54 PM 02-13-2014
Hello to all my cigar smokers up here (old and new). I have question, I have a 300 ct. Humidor, the end table type. I would like to know whats the best option to humidify this thing. Is it better to get an electric humidifier or the beads? If I get the beads how many humidifier bars should I put in it to keep my smokes safe. Your answers will be much appreciated, thank you for your help. Also I enclosed a picture of the humidor.Newbie with a question-screenshot_2014-02-13-17-43-53.jpg:-)
Attached: Screenshot_2014-02-13-17-43-53.jpg (14.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 04:14 PM 02-13-2014
I would go with beads.

Do some research on HCM Beads and Heartfelt. Check out the stickies on this page too.

Both sites tell you how much beads you need based on the dimensions of your humidor. I recommend getting a little more to help with faster recovery. I have HCM beads in my coolidor and my small desktop humi.
[Reply]
MrClean 04:19 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX:
I would go with beads.

Do some research on HCM Beads and Heartfelt. Check out the stickies on this page too.

Both sites tell you how much beads you need based on the dimensions of your humidor. I recommend getting a little more to help with faster recovery. I have HCM beads in my coolidor and my small desktop humi.
:-)

That's the way to go. :-)
[Reply]
tsolomon 04:28 PM 02-13-2014
Beads are the way to go and I find the HCM to be less maintenance than that Heartfelt. :-)
[Reply]
big_jaygee 04:37 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
Beads are the way to go and I find the HCM to be less maintenance than that Heartfelt. :-)
:-)

i would have to agree.
[Reply]
Oshay 06:51 PM 02-13-2014
Thank you guys I will try the beads.
[Reply]
Sadden 11:42 PM 02-14-2014
For something that size beads will be great. I use HCM myself.
[Reply]
Oshay 11:49 AM 02-16-2014
Thanks alot on the subject of HCM beads, I just ordered them but I have one question. Once I get the beads, do I have to charge them or just put them in the humidor? The instruction says no distilled water is to youch them so I assume I would just have to put it in the humidor and let them do magic....I have heartfelt beads but have to always spray water on them (about every two weeks). I assume with the HCM beads I would never have to charge them???? It would be greatly helpful to get some input into this.:-)
[Reply]
Oshay 11:51 AM 02-16-2014
Not youch I mean touch
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:08 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by Oshay:
Thanks alot on the subject of HCM beads, I just ordered them but I have one question. Once I get the beads, do I have to charge them or just put them in the humidor? The instruction says no distilled water is to youch them so I assume I would just have to put it in the humidor and let them do magic....I have heartfelt beads but have to always spray water on them (about every two weeks). I assume with the HCM beads I would never have to charge them???? It would be greatly helpful to get some input into this.:-)
HCM beads may need to be recharged periodically -- there are instructions included with the beads and they are on the web site. Basically, to raise the RH of the beads you would put them in a Ziploc bag with a recently calibrated hygrometer and a wet (distilled water) sponge (sponge is near but not touching the beads) for a short period of time -- until the RH is where you want it.

If your humidor seals well then you don't need to recharge them very often (months or longer).
[Reply]
Sadden 03:24 PM 02-16-2014
Or you can go to an active/passive combo and never need to charge them. :-)

Thats a whole new thread though.
Michael this reminds me that i have some questions for regarding an anomoly i cant pin down on my cabinet.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:57 PM 02-16-2014
Be sure you have seasoned your humidor and checked for leaks. Many glass top humidors lead around the edges of the glass and need to be sealed with food grade silicone. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:10 AM 02-17-2014
I'd also make sure it's odor free silicone, if you don't it will take a bit for the smell to dissipate, yes they make food grade that is not odor free and it has a very strong smell.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 11:29 AM 02-17-2014
Hot glue also works well to help the seal on a glass top. Odorless and super fast drying.
[Reply]
Up