Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 70
« First < 567 891757 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
Scimmia 01:13 PM 01-20-2010
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
That is a good starter set from NB. I think its best to start out with 2 carboys.
I'm of the opposite opinion. One fermenting bucket and one bottling bucket is perfect 90% of the time. I have a glass carboy, but I only use it for bulk aging, an don't even do that anymore now that I keg.
[Reply]
Mikes 10:22 AM 01-25-2010
10gal of Sunshine Wheat clone from AHB
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 09:43 AM 01-29-2010
I will be brewing a double chocolate stout tonight. I am going to let it age a good 3 months before I tap it.
I also have a Hop Rod Rye clone that I need to get going.
[Reply]
kenstogie 05:57 PM 01-31-2010
Well did an ESB today. First day using my new pot. why didn't I get a better pot before? It was only 40 bucks at Wallys and had a bottom that is about 1/2 inch thick and built like a tank.absolutely no scorching and it was 22 qt.It didn't even try to boil over.I might even be able to get away with a 5 gal boil. Now I need a wort chiller.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 06:08 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Well did an ESB today. First day using my new pot. why didn't I get a better pot before? It was only 40 bucks at Wallys and had a bottom that is about 1/2 inch thick and built like a tank.absolutely no scorching and it was 22 qt.It didn't even try to boil over.I might even be able to get away with a 5 gal boil. Now I need a wort chiller.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you do a stove top boil?
How many gallons did you do?
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:29 AM 02-01-2010
Did you do a stove top boil?
How many gallons did you do?
Yup it was stove top. I've heard much good about using turkey fryers, FWIW. I only did a 3.5 gallon boil but I think I could have done 4 and if I push it MAYBE even 5. What a difference I didn't have to watch it like a hawk. NICE. It's already started to bubble.
[Reply]
icantbejon 08:29 AM 02-01-2010
Just brewed up a Nut Brown on Sat. Trying a blow off tube for the first time, so I'm interested to see how that goes. So far, after two days, there is no "blow off" to speak off. Just acting as a typical airlock. I saw some pictures of some really nasty **** coming out of other peoples' tubes before, so this makes me wonder if I've done something wrong. More than likely, I'll say I didn't and I just need to be more patient.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:33 AM 02-01-2010
Yup it was stove top. I've heard much good about using turkey fryers, FWIW. I only did a 3.5 gallon boil but I think I could have done 4 and if I push it MAYBE even 5. What a difference I didn't have to watch it like a hawk. NICE. It's already started to bubble.
I usually do 3 gallon boils. The water is only a half inch away from the top, but I use Fermcap and never get any boilovers.
I keep thinking about getting that same pot at Wallyworld and doing 4gallon boils, maybe even 5. Just not sure if my stove will get hot enough to boil that much water and how long it would take.
[Reply]
Scimmia 09:04 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
Just brewed up a Nut Brown on Sat. Trying a blow off tube for the first time, so I'm interested to see how that goes. So far, after two days, there is no "blow off" to speak off. Just acting as a typical airlock. I saw some pictures of some really nasty **** coming out of other peoples' tubes before, so this makes me wonder if I've done something wrong. More than likely, I'll say I didn't and I just need to be more patient.
The only time you'll get stuff coming out of the blow off tube is when the krausen gets big enough, of course. This usually means a VERY active fermentation and/or wheat in the grist. As long as you keep fermentation temps under control, I wouldn't expect a blow off from a nut brown ale. I've never had a blow off, even with some pretty high pitching rates.
[Reply]
kenstogie 09:44 AM 02-01-2010
I usually do 3 gallon boils. The water is only a half inch away from the top, but I use Fermcap and never get any boilovers.
I keep thinking about getting that same pot at Wallyworld and doing 4gallon boils, maybe even 5. Just not sure if my stove will get hot enough to boil that much water and how long it would take.
In the past I have usually done 3 gallon boils too but with this pot maybe more. I had no problems with my crappy old stove doing the boil and this pot it heated up/boiled quicker because the bottom dissapated the heat and prevented scorching so I could turn it up higher.:-)

With Summer coming I was thinking of trying a Lager. I have been very successful with the Ales. Any words of wisdoms or tips??
[Reply]
TrickNick 10:02 AM 02-01-2010
In the past I have usually done 3 gallon boils too but with this pot maybe more. I had no problems with my crappy old stove doing the boil and this pot it heated up/boiled quicker because the bottom dissapated the heat and prevented scorching so I could turn it up higher.:-)

With Summer coming I was thinking of trying a Lager. I have been very successful with the Ales. Any words of wisdoms or tips??
Do a diacetyl rest between fermentation and lagering. :-)

Oh yea, and have fun!
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 05:42 AM 02-19-2010
Im starting my Hop Rod Rye clone tonight!!!!
Cant wait to have this one on tap!
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:56 AM 02-19-2010
Posted via Mobile Device
The ESB is bottled and after a sample think it'll turn out well. Kind of a toned down pale ale with a slight bitterness (not a bad bitterness) to it. course that was with out the bubbles so we'll see how it is in 2 or 3 weeks.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:42 PM 02-19-2010
Im starting my Hop Rod Rye clone tonight!!!! Cant wait to have this one on tap!
That sounds like one interesting brew Travis:-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:38 AM 02-22-2010
Remember, brewing season is around the corner.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 10:16 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
That sounds like one interesting brew Travis:-)
I love Bear Republics Hop Rod Rye, so hopefully this one turns out close to the same. It will be nice to have 5gallons of it on tap in my kitchen!
[Reply]
icantbejon 10:18 AM 02-22-2010
I'm looking to get my hands on a good Pale Ale recipe. Anyone got something they'd like to share?
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 11:18 AM 02-23-2010
I'm looking to get my hands on a good Pale Ale recipe. Anyone got something they'd like to share?

All Grain or Extract recipe?
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:34 AM 02-24-2010
Check your yahoo email, pops.
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:10 PM 02-24-2010
What beers will age and or just keep well? I would like to brew beers that I could cellar. Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 7 of 70
« First < 567 891757 > Last »
Up