Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 54 of 70
« First < 444525354 555664 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
Salvelinus 07:34 AM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by mmblz:
for my next batch, trying to decide between:
Helles Bock
Smoked Hefeweizen
American Brown Ale
One of my favorite beer styles. Was in the plans but my basement has been getting out of the fermentation range for one of these. I can't hold the fermentation room below 55F if this 80F weather keeps up...

Going to do a galaxy/citra APA today. Wish I had more citra so I could put together a citra single hop but that isn't in the cards this go around. Just got a six pack of Zombie Dust (citra single hop) that is outstanding, need to figure out how to make it.
[Reply]
rack04 12:03 PM 03-22-2012
Hopefully tonight I will be able to keg 10 gallons of Kolsch and then it will lager it for at least a month. This weekend I will be starting a single hops experiment. Basically brewing the same 5 gallon batch with single hops and tasting the difference. I will start with citra and then move on to amarillo, falconer's flight, simcoe, and zythos. Trying to find a hop flaver I like in my pale ale recipe.
[Reply]
landhoney 12:16 PM 03-22-2012
Brewing for the second time this weekend on my new system, I'll try to remember to upload pictures, but here's a preview/hint: three 55 gallon Blichmann Boilermakers :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 03:37 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by landhoney:
Brewing for the second time this weekend on my new system, I'll try to remember to upload pictures, but here's a preview/hint: three 55 gallon Blichmann Boilermakers :-)
:-)
[Reply]
mmblz 05:02 PM 03-22-2012
tasted my belgian stout tonight, it's been 13 days in the bottle.
still doesn't have a whole lot of carbonation.
is there hope that it will continue to carbonate if i give it time, or did I need more sugar (I used the standard 5oz)
flavor is not great but not awful.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 06:09 PM 03-22-2012
How long did it sit in primary/secondary? Sometimes the beers that spend a lot of time in bulk aging take a longer time to carbonate.

I usually throw some s05 in beers that have sat for a while to get the carbonation finished up. It flocs out well and can handle the alcohol content of bigger beers.
[Reply]
mmblz 06:55 PM 03-22-2012
I think it was something like 2 weeks in primary, 4 weeks in secondary. ABV calculation came in around 9%
[Reply]
Salvelinus 08:27 PM 03-22-2012
That isn't too long, but given the ABV the yeast might be a little slow to work on new sugar. I wouldn't worry about it. That said I get super impatient waiting for beer and wind up drinking most of mine before I should. I don't practice what I preach.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:39 PM 03-22-2012
Yea, 13 days isn't really all that long. 5oz dextrose seems like a lot, so you should have no problems with getting it carbonated but give it a few more weeks at room temp.
[Reply]
mmblz 07:53 AM 03-23-2012
awesome - i can wait.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:14 AM 03-23-2012
Question for the enlightened lager-ers:

How long will a lager yeast cake last in my primary fermenter, until I can pitch a new batch of wort on top of it?

I just racked a maibock into the secondary last night, and plan to brew up an Imperial Oktoberfest (or something) next weekend. Hate to waste all that great yeast slurry (WLP 833,) so I sealed up the primary and put her back in the fermentation chamber--currently at 52dg but will be dropping slowly as I bring the maibock down. It should sit pretty well for a week or so, right?
[Reply]
SvilleKid 04:13 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
So did some searching on Homebrewtalk.com and found the following info for DME and LME

http://dmemart.com/ cheap and free shipping 11.99-12.99 per 3lb bag DME
www.austinhomebrew.com has good prices generally and has 7.99 flat rate shipping
www.morebeer.com free ship over 59

Here's a more complete list of online stores. I have not ordered from any of them but many form homebrewtalk have.

Online Homebrew Suppliers
Annapolis Homebrew Supply
Annapolis, MD

Austin Homebrew Supply
Austin, TX
Large selection of recipe kits available in extract, mini-mash, and all-grain versions, including many commercial clone kits. Equipment and ingredients also available. Flat shipping.

Beer-Wine.com
Woburn, Massachusetts
I used Beer-Wine.com this week and was very happy with the service and speed of the delivery. I put in a order for some liquid malt extract to test them out and 2 hours after I put in my order online I received a email that it had been shipped, received it on thursday. All this was with the cheapest shipping option. ~ crum

DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supply
Houston, TX

Freshops
Philomath, OR
"Purveyor of fine hops, hop oil, and hop rhizomes"

Homebrew Adventures
Charlotte, NC

Homebrewer's Outpost
Flagstaff, AZ

HopTech
Dublin, CA
Hop supplier recommended by HomeBrewTalk users

Michigan Brewing Company
Webbersville, MI

MoreBeer
Concord, CA
Free shipping for orders $59 and over

Midwest Supplies
Minneapolis, MN

Northern Brewer
St. Paul, MN

Williams Brewing Supply
San Leandro, CA
Anybody have any updates on mail-order and online suppliers for the ingredients? I have access to the equipment, but the local supplier is a 50 mile trip (one-way). At the price of gas and the mileage my old truck gets, that's a good $30 in gas costs alone. I'm thinking I can get the ingredients through the web cheaper and at less shipping costs than $30!

Thanks
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 05:00 PM 03-23-2012
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com
[Reply]
Salvelinus 05:15 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Question for the enlightened lager-ers:

How long will a lager yeast cake last in my primary fermenter, until I can pitch a new batch of wort on top of it?

I just racked a maibock into the secondary last night, and plan to brew up an Imperial Oktoberfest (or something) next weekend. Hate to waste all that great yeast slurry (WLP 833,) so I sealed up the primary and put her back in the fermentation chamber--currently at 52dg but will be dropping slowly as I bring the maibock down. It should sit pretty well for a week or so, right?
I wouldn't hesitate to put beer on that yeast. They're resilient little buggers.
[Reply]
Mikey202 10:41 AM 03-24-2012
Goin' to see how our Belgian Dubble did in the first contest.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 11:05 AM 03-24-2012
Bottled up my Maibock a week ago, Baltic Porter is resting nicely in secondary fermenter, and just racked my Belgian Tripel. Last year my maibock came out amazing. I am really hoping that it is as good this year. Waiting is always so hard!!!
[Reply]
mmblz 08:02 PM 03-26-2012
black ipa to secondary. tastes pretty good! color could be a little bit blacker but it's pretty dark.
anyone else have a septic system and get paranoid about dumping trub in it?
i've been throwing it outside before washing in the sink.
[Reply]
Mikey202 08:58 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by Mikey202:
Goin' to see how our Belgian Dubble did in the first contest.
Didn't win any awards. Interested to see the scoring.
[Reply]
Mikey202 10:56 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by Mikey202:
Didn't win any awards. Interested to see the scoring.
Overall score was a 28. That is the top of the good range. I think the brew needs to bottle condition for a few more months. The reciepe says that it peaks between 3-9 months. It only has 2 on it. It was a good learning experiance.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 04:02 AM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by mmblz:
black ipa to secondary. tastes pretty good! color could be a little bit blacker but it's pretty dark.
anyone else have a septic system and get paranoid about dumping trub in it?
i've been throwing it outside before washing in the sink.
No septic here, but I've read some folks use it in their compost or dump it around evergreens or other acidic-soil plants as fertilizer.
[Reply]
Page 54 of 70
« First < 444525354 555664 > Last »
Up