Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Your opinion - Most overhyped cigar line?
omowasu 03:15 PM 10-13-2012
Its slow on the boards today, but there are a lot of viewers, so lets have some fun. In your opinion, what is the most overhyped cigar line and why? No need to be offended if someones favorite stick shows up here, we all have different tastes! Ill get it started:

Most overhyped cigar: NUB
Why: Paying full price for half of a stick, didnt live up to claims in marketing, average cigar, and marketing materials in B&Ms were ridiculous (full size cardboard NUB cutouts with tiny brochures attached).

What is your take?
[Reply]
pnoon 03:20 PM 10-13-2012
IMO, most NC boutique brands are over-hyped.
Tat, Viaje, Nub. The list is endless. At least Tats are decent cigars. Nubs are clown cigars.
To say nothing of the stoopid gimmicky names of some of these new cigars. My Uzi Weighs A Ton? One Shot One Kill? Gimme a friggin break.
[Reply]
Dunkel 03:33 PM 10-13-2012
Drew Estate products in my opinion are all show and no go.
[Reply]
pektel 03:34 PM 10-13-2012
Cohiba.

Viaje limited releases may be over hyped. but I'd be lying if i said the skull n bones mystery release isn't one of the best Damn non-Cuban cigars I've ever smoked.

I'll also add any of the super big ring gauge cigars. i gag a little every time i hear a cigar referred to as a behemoth.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
PearlS4 03:53 PM 10-13-2012
Isn't there some 700 dollar Gurkha going around that reviews very poorly?
[Reply]
lenguamor 03:58 PM 10-13-2012
For me, it's Ilusione. I feel like I have given them a fair shot, but I've never had one that I liked, or even finished.

And Nub, obviously.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:58 PM 10-13-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Tat, Viaje, Nub. The list is endless. At least Tats are decent cigars. Nubs are clown cigars.
To say nothing of the stoopid gimmicky names of some of these new cigars. My Uzi Weighs A Ton? One Shot One Kill? Gimme a friggin break.
Now you're giving someone an idea! :-)
[Reply]
oooo35980 04:16 PM 10-13-2012
My local b&m has a thing for Gurkha and RP, I think both of those brands could go away and the world wouldn't be any worse off. The most hyped cigar I've had in a long time is that awful Romeo thing that for some reason seems to be flying off the shelves.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 04:32 PM 10-13-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Tell us how you really feel. :-)
[Reply]
sevans105 05:02 PM 10-13-2012

These guys. One trick pony. And not a very good trick. Huge marketing budget for one cigar though.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 05:33 PM 10-13-2012
It would be Cohiba for me. Pricey and the flavor and burn of the cigar doesn't warrant paying that much for them.
[Reply]
cmitch 05:54 PM 10-13-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
My local b&m has a thing for Gurkha and RP, I think both of those brands could go away and the world wouldn't be any worse off. The most hyped cigar I've had in a long time is that awful Romeo thing that for some reason seems to be flying off the shelves.
You took the words clean out of my brain!:-)
[Reply]
Ogre 06:07 PM 10-13-2012
Gurkha and RP
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 06:21 PM 10-13-2012
Originally Posted by sevans105;:

These guys. One trick pony. And not a very good trick. Huge marketing budget for one cigar though.
...No, just no.

My most opinion on the most over rated would be any NC Cohiba. They're good, but not nearly worth the price.

Also Ghurkas are obviously at the top of the list as well.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 06:24 PM 10-13-2012
Ghurkas. fo sho
[Reply]
RobR1205 06:31 PM 10-13-2012
Originally Posted by PearlS4:
Isn't there some 700 dollar Gurkha going around that reviews very poorly?
His Majesty's Reserve! Not only is it a Gurkha, but it's apparently infused with an entire bottle of St. Louis XIII Cognac....:-)

Here's the link if you wanna by a box...only $15000!

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=456 <--no affiliation

But in all seriousness, I personally feel that Gurkha, 5 Vegas, and Acid are way overrated, but don't deliver. Then again, these companies gotta be doing something right since they sell like crazy.
[Reply]
dvickery 06:34 PM 10-13-2012
behikes or bhk's or whatever...they may be a good cigar or they may be a bad cigar...i dont know never smoked one...but certainly the most (over)hyped cuban cigars in decades.

derrek
[Reply]
ninjavanish 06:58 PM 10-13-2012
"Let's all pick a cigar we don't like and trash talk it a little."

Seems like an awfully negative thread... I for one see several cigars listed above that I enjoy.

I don't have any problem with a company using creative marketing to increase sales. Everyone has different tastes, overhyped to you may be just what someone else enjoys.

Remember that not so long ago we were in the boom and brands and ad strategies were much more verbose or hyped-up than now... I mean, seriously, go back and look at some of the old cigar ads from the 90s, many of them would have you believe by simply smoking a cigar, you could just go ahead and climb out of your yacht and onto your private jet.
[Reply]
DaBear 07:32 PM 10-13-2012
CC: Cohiba, wasn't impressed with the Siglo (IV or V, cant remember) I tried, nowhere near the hype they get

NC: Between regular Opus(as I haven't had the pleasure of trying any of the rarer stuff) and, because while they can be great with proper age, I see no point in paying $15+ on a cigar I'm gonna have to sit on at least 3 years before it gets decent(I do smoke them fresh out of losing patience and to remind myself why they need the time); and Liga Privadas, while I love the No. 9s, the T52s are horrid, as are the FFPs(which I picked up one more to revisit, lets hope 3rd time is the charm), not to mention the sheer lack of availability of them. I understand if you want to keep the production small, but don't go giving every one and their mother an account and making them damn near impossible to be found.
[Reply]
maninblack 07:42 PM 10-13-2012
Any Cuban stick, IMHO. Boring.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Up