Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Good Eats>How Do You Grill Your Burgers?
e-man67 02:37 PM 06-23-2010
per lb I use 1 Egg, tea ketchup, tea A-1, tea worcestershire sauce, 1 tea garlic salt, salt, pepper... =goodness
[Reply]
OLS 05:21 PM 06-23-2010
That's alot of tea....do they keep you awake at night??
[Reply]
Kreth 07:13 PM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
I was tryng to figure out WTF tea ketchup was. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Eagle53 07:45 PM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by fxpose:
I only use cheap, high fat, freshly ground chuck from my local Asian market. At only $1.59/lb this meat produces the best burgers west of the Mississippi.
im glad that you admit the best burgers are east of the Mississippi. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 10:15 AM 06-24-2010
Oh, Hell, EVERYTHING east of the MS is better. S'why the population is so dense, lol.
It's where the WATER is.
[Reply]
e-man67 10:27 AM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
Camomile tea...helps me sleep..:-) tea=tsp
[Reply]
OLS 02:13 PM 06-24-2010
Yeah, babe, I got that part, lol.
Well, not at FIRST. I was like "wtf?" :-) That's alot of $}{i+ in one lb of burger.
I wanna eat at YOUR house.

Now does that mean 1/3 of a teaspoon of Salt, Pepper and Garlic Salt? Or did
you get tired of typing the whole thing out?
[Reply]
DougBushBC 02:50 PM 06-24-2010
<-- Meat Guy.

So I could spend hours discussing this, but if you really want a great burger, you have to use 1) great raw materials and 2) nothing else except salt+pepper and MAYBE granulated garlic.

I make about 10 different "proprietary" blends for different customers including the now famous "Shake Shack" that just opened in Miami Beach (the new york version is made by my good friend Pat LaFrieda, google him).

Some of them I have non-disclosures on so I can't discuss, but I will definately say that the best blend is one that has no less than 20% fat, no more than 25-27%.

It needs to use mostly whole muscles that come from either the chuck or plate section (read: front of the steer), and needs to NOT include: hearts, sirloin, hindshank, oxtail, or loin).

It is possible and beneficial to mix in a bit of some of the more exotic cuts to add your choice of flavors to it such as Brisket, Skirt Steak, Hanger Steak, Foreshank Meat, or god forbid, steak trimmings.

It needs to ONLY be ground twice, once by a slightly coarser blade and once by a slightly finer blade, but not mush.

It needs to be ground as cold as possible, if you are going to your retail butcher, ask them to grab you a FROZEN piece of chuck or put your chuck in the freezer before you grind it at home, the colder the less mushy.

Finally, it needs to not be pattied too thick because you will end up with a meatball instead of a burger.

Other than that, mix it up, patty it up, season the finished products with Salt + Pepper and Granulated Garlic (i guess onion would be ok, but anything more and you are eating meatloaf and not hamburger) and grill or griddle away.
[Reply]
OLS 08:44 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by DougBushBC:
but if you really want a great burger, you have to use 1) great raw materials and 2) nothing else except salt+pepper and MAYBE granulated garlic.
This is as true as it gets to me, and I know that several of my statements actually contradict
that, mostly cause I am a "tryer", but this statement above, to me, is the absolute truth.
SALT and PEPPER only, emphasis on the MAYBE for garlic, but I always use it too, so I am guilty.
In fact, this goes for steak, too as far as I am concerned.

More contradiction. Made some burgers last night to cook this weekend, and I happened to
get a curiousity from the new spice place I ordered from, 1 lb of Kraft Mac and cheese powder, lol.
I put a few tablespoons of that into my meat. We shall see!
[Reply]
shilala 08:50 AM 06-25-2010
I use Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup Mix in my hamburger. It really makes them juicy and tasty. You can't tell the noodles are in there and they really hold back the juice. :-)
[Reply]
CigarDisciple 09:09 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
I take them, handcuff them, throw them down on the floor, put a hood on them, lead them into a darkened room, force them to sit in an uncomfortable chair, pull the hood off, shine a really bright light in their face, light a cigarette, blow the smoke in their face and start asking them questions. Every now and then I'll have someone walk behind them tapping a billy club into their hand or the back of the chair.
What, No rubber hose? LMAO :-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
OLS 02:21 PM 06-26-2010
After cooking a half a dozen today, and eating one, there was no real taste of the Kraft Cheeze powder in the burgers.
Bummer. I was kind of hoping for some cheezie flavor. Maybe I need more. I was careful as I had already added
the salt and pepper and rub. As you know that powder has a decent amount of salt in it. GOOD though. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 04:49 PM 06-26-2010
I think I'm going to make some 50/50 beef/turkey burgers on the grill in the next week. It goes against the entire concept of a great burger, but I've gotta do it as diet friendly as possible. The biggest issue I have with the turkey is the texture of it.
[Reply]
T.G 10:29 PM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
I think I'm going to make some 50/50 beef/turkey burgers on the grill in the next week. It goes against the entire concept of a great burger, but I've gotta do it as diet friendly as possible. The biggest issue I have with the turkey is the texture of it.
Toss 25% ground pork into the mix to help it taste better. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 07:10 AM 06-28-2010
I think you could also throw in a few tablespoons of unflavored oats in there.
I use it as a binder for ground meat generally, but I think in the case of
turkey burgers, it would actually improve the texture quite a bit and simulate
the beefyness. And REALLY 50/50 is not going to be a problem. They will
taste like beef. Maybe use a bit of beef bullion powder in there for good measure.
[Reply]
ridenlive 01:13 AM 07-16-2010
We use 80/20 hamburger meat. for seasoning just mix half a bag of french onion season dip and combine with meat. then round em out and punch a hole in the middle and grille :-)
[Reply]
ridenlive 11:45 PM 07-18-2010
here they are...
Attached: 0718001711.jpg (103.1 KB) 
[Reply]
mahtofire 06:39 AM 07-19-2010
80/20 meat. Throw it in a mixing bowl then toss in worchestire sauce, pepper, salt, garlic salt, onion, lawry's salt, and a special hot sauce that I use here. Then mix it all together and grill to medium rare to keep all the flavors and juices in the meat and enjoy!
[Reply]
Papax2425 07:15 AM 07-19-2010
Going to give this a try tonight!!! thanks
[Reply]
MiamiE 07:58 AM 07-19-2010
Doug and Richard make the best burgers I've ever had!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up