Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Good Eats>Penzey's Spices
BlackDog 06:38 PM 05-17-2010
My 15 y/o daughter is into cooking, and asked to go to this store in Minneapolis. I didn't realize until looking through the catalogue we brought home that they are a chain/franchise. Super cool store, lots of fun to browse around if you're into cooking. They've got 250 different spices, many I had never been aware of. We spent about $50, but it would be easy to go crazy and spend a couple hundred. They have about 45 stores, so perhaps there is one near you. 100% recommended for a fun hour or so.

http://www.penzeys.com
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:08 PM 05-17-2010
I LOVE Penzey's!! Everything I have bought from them has been top quality. The Curry sampler (eight jars I think) is a wonderful way to get into curry. Buying some of their other things such as ground mustard in the bags is a great way to get top quality stuff at much less than you would pay at the grocery store.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 07:15 PM 05-17-2010
I have one like 45 mins from here will have to look next time I am down there.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 08:10 PM 05-17-2010
I've been buying from them since they were purely mail order. Their stores are amazing, if you like to cook. Their chili powder and cajun mixes are standards. Also the Tuscan Sunset (Italian). Actually they're not very expensive if you buy stuff by the bag and keep bottles filled.

Muchly recommended!
[Reply]
stinkie 08:21 PM 05-17-2010
love this store. we have one about 15 min.from the house. the wife will not let me go alone. afraid i will spend 2or 3 hundred replacing all the grocery store stuff shes bought.very high quality stuff. i recommended it to all the cooks i know. the pasta sprinkle is killer stuff.

stinkie:-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 04:58 PM 05-18-2010
I'm glad several of you are familiar with Penzey's. My daughter made 2 loaves of banana bread using Penzey's cinnamon and vanilla, and it's baking right now. The house smells heavenly.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:01 PM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
I'm glad several of you are familiar with Penzey's. My daughter made 2 loaves of banana bread using Penzey's cinnamon and vanilla, and it's baking right now. The house smells heavenly.
You lucky BlackDog!!!:-):-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:08 PM 05-18-2010
Love Penzey's. There's one about 30mins from me. I usually make two trips a year there and spend between $50-$100 each time. My favorite new spice is smoked paprika. Been going through a lot of that. Reminds me, time to make paella again.

The best thing about them is their turnover is really quick, so you can expect to get some of the freshest spices.
[Reply]
markem 05:13 PM 05-18-2010
If you are into black pepper, get the India Spicy Bold from Penzys, it's da bomb.

They also have the only packages tandoori rub that I would ever consider using
[Reply]
replicant_argent 05:16 PM 05-18-2010
Grand avenue?

Yeah, the smell of that place makes me drool. I was just thinking of hitting it a week ago or so... interesting coincidence.
[Reply]
Kreth 05:44 PM 05-18-2010
Wow! We have a decent spice shop here, but nothing like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:56 PM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
They also have the only packages tandoori rub that I would ever consider using
Yep... you are correct. I also love their Josh Rogan (sp) and Satay. Actually, the whole curry sampler is killer.
[Reply]
Pat1075 06:36 PM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Grand avenue?

Yeah, the smell of that place makes me drool. I was just thinking of hitting it a week ago or so... interesting coincidence.
Hennepin right next to the Golden Leaf
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:39 PM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by Pat1075:
Hennepin right next to the Golden Leaf
Holy cow, I forgot there was one in Uptown. Not to mention, I haven't been to that leaf store. What a wonderful combo right next to each other. Gives me a good reason to drag the wife down there on a Sunday. Or Hell, any day in the summer.
[Reply]
markem 06:49 PM 05-18-2010
Holy cow, I forgot there was one in Uptown. Not to mention, I haven't been to that leaf store. What a wonderful combo right next to each other. Gives me a good reason to drag the wife down there on a Sunday. Or Hell, any day in the summer.
Leave Thy Credit Card at Thy House - so sayest he of experience :-)

I can't get out of Penzys for less than $50 - more often $200
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:47 PM 05-18-2010
And there is Mager's & Quinn bookstore there too. If you're into browsing old bookstores it's a great place. Then go across the street to Calhoun Square and go to happy hour (from 2:00pm - 7:00pm) at Famous Dave's for $2.00 pints of Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Or walk a few blocks up Lake Street to the Bryant Lake Bowl, one of the great beer establishments in the Twin Cities.

Originally Posted by markem:
Leave Thy Credit Card at Thy House - so sayest he of experience :-)

I can't get out of Penzys for less than $50 - more often $200
Oh yeah, I could have easily dropped $100, and had to use restraint to get away with about $50.
[Reply]
OLS 06:31 AM 05-19-2010
They have about 45 stores, so perhaps there is one near you. 100% recommended for a fun hour or so.
This is always the case: "There's like a hundred of em" but never near me. As it happens,
this time there IS ONE near me. Kind of a stretch of a lunch hour, but I will check it out
this weekend.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:36 AM 05-19-2010
I have had cravings for curries the past few months. I think a visit this Sunday may be in order. They have 8 or 9 blends.
Thai Coconut Chicken Curry with basmati rice for dinner sounds pretty rockstar.
[Reply]
Cigary 08:05 AM 05-19-2010
Have used this as well until I discovered another Vanilla and it's the best I have ever used. Being an avid cook myself I have tried just about every vanilla out there and this one ( http://www.mexicanvanilla.com/ ) Blue Cattle Truck Vanilla is amazing. Banana Bread, Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream, French Toast, Pastries, cookies...the list is endless.
[Reply]
n3uka 08:43 AM 05-19-2010
Cool, one near me and never knew about it.

I have been buying on www.myspicesage.com
will have to check out penzeys now too :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up