Dave128 11:31 AM 06-10-2010
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Samsquanch 03:47 PM 06-12-2010
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ity-barbe.html

Doesn't get much better than this.
[Reply]
fxpose 11:18 AM 07-04-2010
For my very first cook in my newly constructed brick pizza oven (well, it's still under construction.... all exterior finish work now) I decided to do ribs as the oven temp seem just right from the previous night's firing of the oven curing process.
I just used some dry rub and threw the big 6.5 lb. slab into the oven, uncovered, and left it in there for 3 hours. Them ribs were real good.
Attached: P1040712.jpg (114.5 KB) P1040721.jpg (108.0 KB) P1040716.jpg (108.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Slow4v 08:40 AM 07-09-2010
I use an oven to make my ribs, because for the longest time I didn't have a grill. I slow cook mine at 160 degrees ( That is the lowest that my oven will go.) for 5hrs. I usually prepare them in a dry rub, or caramelized. They come out pretty good, so I'd like to think.

I make my own sauce and rub, but when I was living in NC I bought a rub from the grocery store. I can't get the rub up here in MI, but I have duplicated it to my best ability.
[Reply]
OLS 12:39 PM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by Slow4v:
I use an oven to make my ribs, because for the longest time I didn't have a grill. I slow cook mine at 160 degrees ( That is the lowest that my oven will go.) for 5hrs. I usually prepare them in a dry rub, or caramelized. They come out pretty good, so I'd like to think.

I make my own sauce and rub, but when I was living in NC I bought a rub from the grocery store. I can't get the rub up here in MI, but I have duplicated it to my best ability.
I used to do that myself, I thought that in terms of tenderness and tastiness HOT, they were excellent.
The only thing you lose is the smoke ring, which I have found to be essential in being able to put your
ribs in the fridge for another day. Hell, you could probably leave em on the counter for a few days and
still hit em with that SMOKE. Oven cooked ribs get a rancid taste in the fat in almost no time.
Either that or it comes out of the bones. Anyone know the flavor I am talking about? Old pork syndrome.
But for eating hot and fresh, I actually prefer that oven cooked flavor. Smoke sometimes messes up me innards.
[Reply]
T.G 12:48 PM 07-09-2010
Yeah, I know that flavor you are talking about. Rancid is a good description.

The preserving effect of smoke is a wonderful thing. Plus, it tastes yummy...
[Reply]
ridenlive 07:48 PM 07-13-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
BRTU

Make sure you remember to remove the membrane
I cant agree anymore but other then to do it every single time. i like to use a memphis style rub on mine. if i have a enough time i also like to do a spit.
[Reply]
mahtofire 08:04 PM 07-13-2010
first I put a rub on the ribs, then salt and pepper, then brown sugar to make a sweet crust around the top put them in foil and toss it on the grill with tons of coals burning nice and slow. Leave it on for an hour, then take them out of the foil and give it a bath in BBQ sauce and put them back on the grill sans foil to solidify everything again......:-)

I tried making my own rub but I could never get it tasting better than my staple Rendezvous rub so I've gone back.....
[Reply]
Volusianator 08:13 PM 07-13-2010
tagged for future reference.
[Reply]
fxpose 10:55 AM 07-14-2010
Speaking of rubs, I'm going to try some Magic Dust this weekend.
http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl50617d.htm
[Reply]
T.G 11:28 AM 07-14-2010
Originally Posted by fxpose:
Speaking of rubs, I'm going to try some Magic Dust this weekend.
http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl50617d.htm
Very classic ingredients in there, sounds like it should be real good for a simple rub & seasoning. :-)
[Reply]
sevans105 03:08 PM 08-06-2010
Did some unique ribs this week. Damp rub with brown sugar balsamic vinegar Rosemary garlic salt pepper and cayenne. Baked at 425 for an hour and a half then made a glaze with pan drippings 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar. Brush over ribs then grill for 5 min a side. Awesomeness.
[Reply]
d'am 09:31 PM 09-03-2010
Originally Posted by MiamiE:
Low and slow guys! I'm throwing some ribs in the smoker right now! I throw salt, pepper, cayenne, brown sugar, sugar, garlic, and paprika on them after covering in mustard!
Same here. Mustard changed the way I look at ribs. I put a very thin layer on and cake the ribs with a rub. This makes a sort of crust out of the rub. I won't cook ribs without it. :-)
[Reply]
drob 09:46 PM 09-03-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
I use Sweet Baby Ray's on my beef ribs and shrimp. It gets better than that, but not enough to warrant the extra work. Maybe this summer I'll try some recipes. That's why I subscribed with Kirk. :-)

Today I was thinking how good skewered and grilled bbq shrimp would be on a fajiita with fresh guac and fresh cilantro salsa. The thought is almost bringing tears to my eyes. :-)
For shrimp fajitas I marinate the shrimp for half an hour in a mixture of olive oil, lime juice, minced garlic, and fresh chopped cilantro - and nothing else.
Been doing it like this for a few years now and have never seen the need to vary the recipie - it's that good.
[Reply]
drob 09:49 PM 09-03-2010
Ribs (baby backs) I marinate overnight in Dale's. An hour brfore I slap them on the pit, I rub them down with salt, black pepper, chili powder, and brown sugar. On the pit for two - two and a half hours, then wrap them in tin foil and put them in a 220 degree oven for another two hours. No cutting or chewing required.
[Reply]
T.G 11:36 PM 09-03-2010
Forgot all about this thread...

Reposting from a few weeks ago in another thread.

Lamb spare ribs, aka Lamb Breast, aka Denver ribs....

Pulled a rack of Denver Ribs out of the freezer and...

The garlic paste/slather is a mixture of fresh garlic (like 8-9 cloves), fresh rosemary, fresh Thai basil, three fresh cayenne peppers, thyme, oregano, black pepper, kosher salt, paprika, OO and some wet tamarind paste.

(continues below)
[Reply]
T.G 11:37 PM 09-03-2010
continued...

(the sausage was lunch - moved it directly over the coals to cook after I shot the photo)

Cooked with oak and some grape vines

yeah, I didn't bother with a plate, just ripped at it from the tray - almost forgot to take a picture.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up