Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>The Bread Thread... and other assorted baked products...
Lumpold 08:01 AM 10-24-2010
OK, I was going to call this 'What did you bake today?', but I didn't technically bake the breads I'm about to post... and they are so easy to make, I often wonder why we invented cutlery... this post will be in 2 parts, making and finished product!

Chapattis and Parathas...

OK, so you need to make an incredibly simple dough (water and atta flour*. easy!) that should be pretty dry, as it's refrigerated and will become wetter as it's chilled. There is very little difference between making chapattis and parathas. I assume this is very very similar to making soft flour tortillas.

It'll look something similar to this when it comes out! You then need to roll out the dough so it's about 1/10" thick... if you're making chappatis, toast it in a dry pan over a fairly high heat, if you're making parathas, brush it with oil (melted ghee**), cut from the centre of the rolled dough to the edge, roll it into a cone, make into a ball, and roll it to 1/10" again, brush with oil and cook like a chapatti!

Being a man, you know how to cook many things at once.

Big pot - mutton curry, small pan - lentil dahl, frying pan - chapatti

Now, on to the results post...

*atta flour (also known as chapatti flour) is a fine ground, wholemeal flour... you can just use wholemeal if you have no access to atta flour.

** ghee is clarified butter, while this is the traditional oil, you can use whatever you have to hand, although if it's not ghee, a more neutral oil like veggie or sunflower gives the best flavour results.
[Reply]
Lumpold 08:05 AM 10-24-2010
When cooking the breads, pockets of air inside should puff up. You should toast the breads for a minute to two minutes per side. For parathas, brush one side with ghee, cook that side, and brush the other while the first side is cooking!

Chapattis

Parathas

Curry and Dahl... sod knives and forks, use breads!
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:36 AM 10-24-2010
I read all of that and looked at the pictures.. All I could come up with is :-)
[Reply]
fxpose 01:47 PM 10-24-2010
I made focaccia several nights ago. I took some left over pizza dough, formed it thick on parchment paper and topped it with EVOO, basil, parmesan, and red onions.

[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 01:57 PM 10-24-2010
Definitely want to try these. When we got married back in September, we were gifted a kitchen aid, so ever since then I have been making bread. Nothing too wild yet, just white and wheat. Have also dabbled in pizza dough and combining different things.
[Reply]
Up