Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Wings!
MiamiE 07:38 PM 06-16-2010
I want to make some wings this weekend. What exactly do I need to buy in terms of the actual wings, the prep, and the actual cooking. I have my sauce already.
[Reply]
Pistol 07:48 PM 06-16-2010
Are you planning on smoking them or frying them? Petey want wingey!

I like to smoke then fry mine BTW. Smoke at about 250 degrees or so for about 2 to 2.5 hours, then fry them for a minute or two. The skin is nice and crispy, and they taste awesome. As for the prep, I rub them down, then throw them on the smoker. I don't brine them beforehand, and I don't mop them either. Then you could either throw them in your favorite sauce or just enjoy the dry wings in a bit of sauce (the way I normally do it). I find that if I douse them in sauce, it overpowers the flavors of the rub and the smoked meat. If you want to douse them like most of the restaurants do, you may as well skip the smoking and just toss them in the frier to save time, which is a hell of a lot faster than doing them the way that I do them.
[Reply]
T.G 08:04 PM 06-16-2010
If you're going to smoke them, Smokin Gator posted a fantastic recipie HERE

If you're going to oven cook, Alton Brown's recipe is killer for a place to start. I coat the wings with a low salt rub before steaming and then again after they come out, also, I use a similar method to make the wing sauce, involves more garlic and a lot of Frank's Red Hot and a bit of Tabasco and a bit of Berserker, Blairs or Dave's Insanity sauce or powdered chipotle.
[Reply]
captain53 08:05 PM 06-16-2010
Beat to the draw - I was fixing to post the Smokin Gator Wings Recipe. :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Pistol 08:07 PM 06-16-2010
Wow, I've never seen SG's recipe before, it looks like we do them very similarly!
[Reply]
Samsquanch 08:13 PM 06-16-2010
IMO these wings can't be beat, modify the recipe for spicier or sweeter wings, served with buttermilk ranch made from the Hidden Valley packets. Good luck!

http://steamykitchen.com/7217-bbq-ce...ken-wings.html
[Reply]
MiamiE 08:32 PM 06-16-2010
Is blue cheese considered bad? Because I love it! Great ideas so far!
[Reply]
Pistol 08:34 PM 06-16-2010
Dude, nothing is considered bad if you like it! Hell, throw some grape jelly on them if you dig it!
[Reply]
T.G 08:42 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by MiamiE:
Nope, not at all.

Chunky blue cheese dressing for dipping along with celery sticks are actually fairly common accompaniments to wings.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 09:04 PM 06-16-2010
WE have been doing wings on the grill for years. We just tried smoking them and use this recipe:

http://www.grillingcompanion.com/smo...chicken-wings/

The only difference is that we use Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce after they come off the grill.

Awesome.
[Reply]
TheTraveler 11:17 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
If you're going to smoke them, Smokin Gator posted a fantastic recipie HERE

If you're going to oven cook, Alton Brown's recipe is killer for a place to start. I coat the wings with a low salt rub before steaming and then again after they come out, also, I use a similar method to make the wing sauce, involves more garlic and a lot of Frank's Red Hot and a bit of Tabasco and a bit of Berserker, Blairs or Dave's Insanity sauce or powdered chipotle.
I second TG's recommendation of Alton's recipe. Been a hit for two Super Bowl parties in a row. :-)
[Reply]
captain53 10:10 AM 06-17-2010
Only bad if you don't like it - as for me it is my favorite choice! Just like smoking buy what you like and smoke what you buy! :-)
[Reply]
cobra03 03:04 PM 06-17-2010
lol. Is blue cheese bad!!!???? thats what your supposed to put on them. I cant eat wings without blue cheese. you cant get them in Buffalo with out a large helping of blue cheese and celery. now look what you have done i need wings now. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:12 PM 06-17-2010
When I fry wings I like them unbreaded and fried crispy. For me I have found 16 minutes to be the perfect amount of time as long as they are pretty big meaty wings. I frequently add all kinds of seasoning to the base sauce of one stick of melted butter and about 5 ounces of Louisiana hot sauce. The base sauce is good though.
[Reply]
fxpose 01:09 PM 06-18-2010
I did wings during the Lakers win over the Celtics last night. :-)
I brined them in beer for several hours, then applied rub just prior to searing them on the grill. Then I moved them over to smoke them and cook further for a few minutes. I sauced them off the grill. This was just one of several ways I do wings. This was quick and easy.

Lakers win.
Attached: P1040625.jpg (115.3 KB) P1040628.jpg (116.3 KB) 
[Reply]
ucla695 01:42 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by fxpose:
I did wings during the Lakers win over the Celtics last night. :-)
I brined them in beer for several hours, then applied rub just prior to searing them on the grill. Then I moved them over to smoke them and cook further for a few minutes. I sauced them off the grill. This was just one of several ways I do wings. This was quick and easy.

Lakers win.

Those look good George! :-) Great game, huh?
[Reply]
fxpose 01:48 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by ucla695:
Those look good George! :-) Great game, huh?
Hey thanks Mike, exciting game it was....

So when are you getting your new grill? Your new home needs a big charcoal grill.
[Reply]
68TriShield 03:00 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Nope, not at all.

Chunky blue cheese dressing for dipping along with celery sticks are actually fairly common accompaniments to wings.
more than fairly common in MD.Blue Cheese and/or Ranch are always offered.
Originally Posted by cobra03:
lol. Is blue cheese bad!!!???? thats what your supposed to put on them. I cant eat wings without blue cheese. you cant get them in Buffalo with out a large helping of blue cheese and celery. now look what you have done i need wings now. :-)

[Reply]
ucla695 03:24 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by fxpose:
Hey thanks Mike, exciting game it was....

So when are you getting your new grill? Your new home needs a big charcoal grill.
Agreed....still warming up the Mrs. on the idea. :-)
[Reply]
Up