Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Help my Frigidaire
ChasDen 07:21 PM 08-02-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
The reason I suggested you lean on Chuck is because he's got the same sort of perspective on "what looks nice" as I do. He's incredibly anal and wears a tinfoil hat, but he's a craftsman of the highest order and he'll do ya right.
Come on dude :-)

Tinfoil hat :-)

Tinfoil wont work now a days with all the high tech stuff coming at us, I upgraded to a custom made double plated, full face helmet made of rare indigenous metals only available online at www.theyareoutthere.net. I only have 12 easy payments of 499.99 left and it all paid for.

Chas
[Reply]
shilala 07:36 PM 08-02-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:
Come on dude :-)

Tinfoil hat :-)

Tinfoil wont work now a days with all the high tech stuff coming at us, I upgraded to a custom made double plated, full face helmet made of rare indigenous metals only available online at www.theyareoutthere.net. I only have 12 easy payments of 499.99 left and it all paid for.

Chas
I just let them control my mind and look at the stuff on my computer.
It's easier that way. :-)
[Reply]
shaggy 07:54 PM 08-02-2009
my wine comes in a box.....does this all still apply to it?
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:56 PM 08-02-2009
The fridge will dry it out like a popcorn fart because you'll have to leave the drain open.
:-):-):-):-) Have never heard that one!! Scott you owe me a new keyboard, as I have spit Diet Pepsi all over mine from reading that. Some even came out my nose. LOL!!!
[Reply]
XTRazzer 08:14 PM 08-02-2009
Scott .... you forget that I am an engineer, some of this stuff does make a lot of sense.

I'm just trying to get the bang-for-buck factor to work out. Happy would be something that won't crap out in a few years and I won't outgrow quickly (yeah, yeah, I know...).

So, on to the idea of a cigar fridge, no wine.

Now what if I were to plug the drain on the Frigidaire and turn the whole unit into conditioned space, would I be able to place a humidor inside as well? In theory the surroundings would be at the appropriate temperature and %RH that I wouldn't need beads inside the humidor. Or do I consider to just sell off or give away the 100-ct humidor?
[Reply]
shilala 08:58 PM 08-02-2009
Originally Posted by XTRazzer:
Scott .... you forget that I am an engineer, some of this stuff does make a lot of sense.

I'm just trying to get the bang-for-buck factor to work out. Happy would be something that won't crap out in a few years and I won't outgrow quickly (yeah, yeah, I know...).

So, on to the idea of a cigar fridge, no wine.

Now what if I were to plug the drain on the Frigidaire and turn the whole unit into conditioned space, would I be able to place a humidor inside as well? In theory the surroundings would be at the appropriate temperature and %RH that I wouldn't need beads inside the humidor. Or do I consider to just sell off or give away the 100-ct humidor?
The appropriate interior RH in the frigidaire doesn't just happen because you plugged the drain.
It happens because you provide bead and fan circulation.
If you did that, you can stick all the humidors in there you want and you don't need beads inside them. :-)
[Reply]
XTRazzer 09:22 AM 08-03-2009
Gotcha. Much appreciate the advice.

For multiple reasons I decided to put this project on hold for the time being. This will give me more time to decide upon how to proceed as well.
[Reply]
shilala 12:09 PM 08-03-2009
An FYI on the Frigidaire $119 cooler...
It was a Lowe's screw up. They already caught it.
They're back to $229.00 now.
I was excited about your deal, and when I was at Lowe's paying my bill today I checked it out. There was a sign saying "we screwed up, you ain't getting it for $119.00", but they used lots more words. :-)
I paid around 220 for all three of mine.
[Reply]
aich75013 01:06 PM 08-03-2009
I was also considering using the fridge for both wines and cigars.
I am going to just use it for cigars, though.
I told my wife I would buy her another fridge for the wine. Maybe a dual temp unit.

I am having Chuck make me some drawers (2 doubles and 3 singles.) I thought about doing it myself, but I want them to look nice :-)
I also smoke maybe 1-2 a week and buy/try from my local B&M.
Haven't bought a box yet, so it is going to look pretty empty when my shelves come in. I'm in no rush, though. Still trying to figure out what I like best.
[Reply]
XTRazzer 03:11 PM 08-03-2009
An FYI on the Frigidaire $119 cooler...
It was a Lowe's screw up. They already caught it.
They're back to $229.00 now.
I was excited about your deal, and when I was at Lowe's paying my bill today I checked it out. There was a sign saying "we screwed up, you ain't getting it for $119.00", but they used lots more words. :-)
I paid around 220 for all three of mine.
I cancelled my order this morning when I decided to put this project on hold. I wonder if they would have honored the price or not. I'm not upset either way as I don't think I would need this much storage space and really don't want to move the thing time and time again over the next few years.

Like I said, back to the drawing board for a while. I'll probably go with a fully converted 16-bottle unit for cigar storage.
[Reply]
sboyajian 08:45 AM 08-04-2009
For what it's worth, you only need a thermoelectric if you need to cool it from your surroundings.

My basement never makes it over 70 degrees, even if all the windows in the house are open. I have a condensor based wine fridge. However, with the unit unplugged, it maintains 68 degrees. $50 for a 35 bottle fridge off craigslist, good seal, holds humidity and temp. All depends on the environment.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up