Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Smoke Magazine
kelmac07 12:27 PM 05-16-2009
I have only been serious into the hobby for about three months now. I found it hard to believe that there aren't more cigars publications available. I have read Cigar Aficionado/ Cigar Press / & Smoke. Smoke has been the best of the three...by far. Any thoughts or added info on cigar publiciations?

I have picked up more information about cigars right here on Cigar Asylum than anywhere else. This is truly a great site for beginners...with a plethora of information. :-)
[Reply]
Footbag 12:38 PM 05-16-2009
ECCJ. European Cigar Cult Journal is my favorite.
[Reply]
flat6nut 01:37 PM 05-16-2009
Cigar Snob Has hot babes smoking cigars!
[Reply]
kaelaria 02:21 PM 05-16-2009
Smoke is the best I've found too.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 04:23 PM 05-16-2009
As has been mentioned, the best of all cigar magazines, IMHO, is the European Cult Cigar Journal which comes out 4 times a year. It is published in German & English and is available via online subscription.

My 2nd favorite is Cigar Press, also available via online subscriptions.

My 3rd favorite is Smoke Magazine!
[Reply]
ucla695 04:48 PM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by Footbag:
I enjoy it too! :-)
[Reply]
woops 05:13 PM 05-16-2009
I've had multiple issues of Cigar Aficionado, Smoke, ECCJ and Cigar Magazine.

My favorite of them all is Cigar Magazine.

Dr. Stogie Fresh did a Cigar Magazine Comparisons that you might find useful. Check out the PDF chart in his article as well.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 05:58 PM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by woops:
I've had multiple issues of Cigar Aficionado, Smoke, ECCJ and Cigar Magazine.

My favorite of them all is Cigar Magazine.

Dr. Stogie Fresh did a Cigar Magazine Comparisons that you might find useful. Check out the PDF chart in his article as well.
Cigar Magazine is, I agree, a very good magazine. The only reason many of us do not rate it very high, is that it does not ever review any Cuban Cigars, it only reviews NC's and in addition it only reviews the NC's that are carried by or available through JR Cigars.
[Reply]
Darrell 06:10 PM 05-16-2009
Are their any stores that carry ECCJ?
[Reply]
woops 06:11 PM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
Cigar Magazine is, I agree, a very good magazine. The only reason many of us do not rate it very high, is that it does not ever review any Cuban Cigars, it only reviews NC's and in addition it only reviews the NC's that are carried by or available through JR Cigars.
I could see that. I've always thought that most (if not all) magazine ratings are a little skewed. It's my least favorite part the magazine. I usually skip right over them and head towards the articles and news sections.

That's right ..... I read it for "the articles". :-)

Need to find a great PIPE magazine.
[Reply]
yourchoice 06:26 PM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Cigarmony.com does. I've never ordered one, but remember seeing they did. In fact, I don't subscribe to any of the mags...been thinking about it for a while though. Of the few I've read, I thought Cigar Magazine was pretty good. Never read Smoke, and I haven't read a cA mag for a long while.
[Reply]
TripleF 07:16 PM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by kaelaria:
Smoke is the best I've found too.

:-)
[Reply]
The Saint 07:48 PM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by woops:
I could see that. I've always thought that most (if not all) magazine ratings are a little skewed. It's my least favorite part the magazine. I usually skip right over them and head towards the articles and news sections.

That's right ..... I read it for "the articles". :-)

Need to find a great PIPE magazine.
Try this one: www.pt-magazine.com
[Reply]
mcmoyer 08:18 PM 05-16-2009
Cigar magazine is my favorite. I especially like the "Faces of..." reviews.

:-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 08:29 PM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I've seen it in Books-A-Million around here.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 08:47 PM 05-16-2009
I haven't ever read a cigar mag. I think I would have give up time away from here in order to do that. I kinda feel like I would not trust the reviews in them. I trust my CA family and I think that is good enough for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
JJG 11:47 AM 05-17-2009
Originally Posted by Footbag:
This seems to be the mag everyone raves about. I'm curious but haven't picked one up yet. CA is not a bad publication either but it gets criticized quite a bit for being light on actual cigar content, and I've said this before but their reviews/ratings are complete bullsh*t
[Reply]
Tio Gato 02:35 PM 05-17-2009
With the way news travels on the Internet, the cigar magazines often have old news.
I've got every issue of Cigar Aficionado and enjoy reading the old issues. The criticism that there are not enough cigar stuff is true. The articles are retreaded every five years or so. Handmade shoes, timeshare jets, custom suits, etc. show up every so often. This is a good time of year to subscribe, they have a two for one Father's Day special. Split it with a buddy and it will only cost you $10 a year.

Smoke magazine IMHO is the worst for ratings. I probably visit 50 or 60 cigar stores a year, maybe more, and I've never seen some of the dog rockets they review in the mag. Funny though that these stinkers are all full page advertisers. They do some good pieces on the cigar makers.

Cigar Magazine has some great articles about the legends in the business.
It's probably my favorite, although the ratings are useless. I love the historical stuff.

The best way to get cigar news is from cigarcyclopedia.com, Rich Perelman's site. Every day or two it's updated with the latest news. The comparison price list is way cool.

Smoke Shop mag, available online, is a publication for tobacconists has some good stuff.

ECCJ is really a great magazine. The fact that it is quarterly is a bummer.
That wait to get it seems like forever.:-)
[Reply]
Beagleone 06:05 PM 05-17-2009
I read a lot of different magazines, usually whatever is in the shops when I am there. I like Smoke and Cigar Press, but I don't believe you solely rely on the ratings. I do look at what the notes are on reviewed sticks, but I find personal preference my strongest motive for purchasing cigars. I do like the articles and profiles that the magazines offer. I've only seen ECCJ once here and bought it then. I was impressed with it, but have not seen it any time since.
[Reply]
Up