Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>A trip in Russia?
pgagnon 08:01 PM 08-09-2011
After a day at the musée des Beaux-Arts in Ottawa to see the exhibit about Caravaggio, I was looking for something earthmoving. I searched throughout my almost dead stash and found a stick that scared me for the longest time. There was a time when I was avoiding strong stogies and the things a read about the El Cobre cigars were scaring meh. Not that it was a gorilla finger but rather that it was very full bodied. Today, I was in a mood for this.

The « bague » is inspiring, it makes the cigar glued in my hands and if I had any doubts about I smoked it or not are now gone. The foot is cracked slightly but I know it’ll be gone is soon as I « enflamme » it. The construction is not as good as I would like, it seems like the stick has gooseflesh. There is almost no veins at all along it’s length. The pre-light tasted of Cherry Blossom and light tobak. As I lit the foot, I could hear the sweet sound of « crépillement » the tobak makes as the fire starts consuming it. I could smell burnt mashmallows. First draw is fully throttled by the power of pepper! It stays in my « narines » for several seconds. It is followed by baked bread. The pepper goes to the « arrière scène » right away. The draw is slightly tight but agreable. Now here is the image that defines perfectly what I was experiencing : I am a cigar (yes I am), trapped in a spanish cedar humidor, my foot burried in freshly moved earth. A cedar forest surrounding me, enveloping me. A very poetic debut. The consumption is even atm. As I smoked throughout the first « tiers » I can see how white the ashes are. There is a good contrast between it and the darkness of the unburn wrapper. It is as if the cigar is transforming itself into a bone. This stick is full of images so far.

The second « tiers » starts off with a blast for strong that my eyes were watering. I could feel the pepper lingering in my nose. There is still a resillient ghost of wood but it is very faint. While I sailed the second third, I had the impression of playing « roulette russe ». One puff was mellow and woody and the next was pepper. By the end of it, the baked bread was back but I kept watching my back for Dr. Pepper.

The last « tiers » was as « imprévisible » as the second one. I started getting some burn problems but it was mainly caused by the humidity in Gatineau. With a bit more than an inch left, the El Cobre started to get bitter and I bedded it in my ashtray for it to die there. I was done.

Short story, the cigar was a « pure délice ». Always taking me to beautiful scenery. I definitely want more of these to smoke weekly. Try ‘em out, it is worth it.

Thanks again for reading me.
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:02 PM 08-10-2011
I've always have been a little frightened of these, as well!

Thanks for the Review!!!
:-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 12:22 PM 08-10-2011
That was the most poetic review I've ever read; well done! :-)
[Reply]
Glyveth 12:34 PM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
That was the most poetic review I've ever read; well done! :-)
Be careful how much praise, cuz I gotta live with him afterwards! :-) Don't mention Braveheart either.. Lord!!

@ Patrick - Well done anyway, babycakes!
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:00 PM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by Glyveth:
Be careful how much praise, cuz I gotta live with him afterwards! :-) Don't mention Braveheart either.. Lord!!

@ Patrick - Well done anyway, babycakes!
Babycakes??? Priceless! Can we get a mod to change his username? :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Glyveth 01:12 PM 08-10-2011
Babycakes??? Priceless! Can we get a mod to change his username? :-):-):-)
Pfft, It is but one of many names... All awesome of course! :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:19 PM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by Glyveth:
Pfft, It is but one of many names... All awesome of course! :-)
Well, since you brought it up, what are they? You've just gotta tell us now.
[Reply]
Glyveth 01:21 PM 08-10-2011
Well, since you brought it up, what are they? You've just gotta tell us now.
Oh I'm sure I can spice up my posts with pet names for Patrick over my stay here. :-) So feel free to stalk :-)
[Reply]
pgagnon 08:52 PM 08-10-2011
Now why are we discussing my pet names, Chatton?
[Reply]
T.G 09:58 PM 08-10-2011
:-):-):-)

Nice review too, thanks for posting it.
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:03 AM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by pgagnon:
Now why are we discussing my pet names, Chatton?
P*ssycat.That's a good one, too!
[Reply]
Glyveth 10:43 AM 08-11-2011
:-)
[Reply]
pgagnon 03:47 PM 08-11-2011
Tried it, didnt end well :-)
[Reply]