Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 14
< 12 3412 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.
shade 11:29 PM 10-15-2008
Great thread, Mr. Moo! I'm gonna have to pull out my pot from the back of the coffee cupboard, and get back to using it again. I find myself always reaching for the press pot, but seeing your pics makes me want to try the Mokapot again.:-)
[Reply]
Spect 11:55 PM 10-15-2008
I've tried my best to stay away from this, but I think it's time to head down the coffee slope too. Moo would you mind a grinder/tamper clinic as well? I know from previous threads both tools are important.
[Reply]
FXAdam 12:09 AM 10-16-2008
Excellent thread. I have been thinking about getting one of these but couldn't remember what they were called. Now for a little game of "where do the Koreans keep that" (it's not as easy a game as it sounds at times lol) to see if I can track one down.
[Reply]
germantown rob 05:36 AM 10-16-2008
Mister Moo are you trying to kill the espresso houses? Turning this many people onto Mokapots could be devastating to the economy. Who is going to pay $4-7 for crappy espresso that is more than likely being made from stale beans if you keep pushing these pots. What's next? Home roasting for the masses?
[Reply]
Zipper 05:58 AM 10-16-2008
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
Fun thing, getting good results from a mokapot.

Why Bialetti? I guess they make the most of them and have 'em right.
Originally Posted by md4958:
:-) I agree. I sell a couple different brands at my shop. But I always recommend the Bialetti to my customers.
Thanks! The experience is undeniable
[Reply]
md4958 06:20 AM 10-16-2008
Originally Posted by SteveDMatt:
I know this may be sacrilegious,but the Dr. says no caffeine. Can you recommend a decaf blend for this type of brewing? My moka pot has been on the shelf since the Dr.s recommendation.

Great thread BTW.
Steve, many of the italian brands now have decaf blends... some decent ones (Illy) comes to mind can be found at the supermarket or whole foods.

if you dont have any luck, pm me... I carry several different brands.

Moe
[Reply]
Mister Moo 07:27 AM 10-16-2008
Originally Posted by Spect:
I've tried my best to stay away from this, but I think it's time to head down the coffee slope too. Moo would you mind a grinder/tamper clinic as well? I know from previous threads both tools are important.
I feel an espresso thread coming on. tremble-tremble

I have a lot of good intro copy elsewhere. Howzabout I grab it later today and drop it into a new thread?
[Reply]
Spect 10:32 AM 10-16-2008
That'd be awesome, I was trying to sift though it last night but I was pretty tired. Most of what I caught was people arguing how two big rocks or a whirly grinder is just as good a burr.

Edit: Which I don't believe! I'm sure two big rocks are WAY better than a burr. :-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 12:25 PM 10-16-2008
Originally Posted by Spect:
.. I'm sure two big rocks are WAY better than a burr. :-)
So. You're one of THOSE. Who sent you here? :-)

Every time I say the word "gr....r" something like this starts.
[Reply]
TRicker 10:42 AM 10-19-2008
Ok, update. Moe hooked me up with some sweet already ground coffee to use. Lowered my heat and BLAM. Got some awesome coffee and some crema on top. Not a ton, but never got any before.And my wife actually drank some and wasn't yelling about the burnt coffe smell:-). Now to perfect my method and I'm all set. Delicious mokapot whenever I want. Thanks to Moe and Mr. Moo
[Reply]
Mister Moo 04:28 PM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by TRicker:
Ok, update. Moe hooked me up with some sweet already ground coffee to use. Lowered my heat and BLAM. Got some awesome coffee and some crema on top. Not a ton, but never got any before.And my wife actually drank some and wasn't yelling about the burnt coffe smell:-). Now to perfect my method and I'm all set. Delicious mokapot whenever I want. Thanks to Moe and Mr. Moo
Heh heh. One down - 10,000 to go. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 07:12 AM 10-20-2008
Heh heh. One down - 10,000 to go. :-)
Once again, great post Moo.
[Reply]
muziq 07:19 AM 10-20-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:
Once again, great post Moo.
It's so good to have Moo here. Love your threads...they're always informative *and* entertaining! Now, where is the Mukka thread? :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 09:02 AM 10-20-2008
Moo,

Was it you that posted that Youtube video on brewing with a moka sometime last year somewhere else?

I'm a terrible reader and the day I clicked on that link was the day my exploding moka pots and bad brews ended.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 08:11 PM 10-20-2008
Originally Posted by floydpink:
Moo,

Was it you that posted that Youtube video on brewing with a moka sometime last year somewhere else?

I'm a terrible reader and the day I clicked on that link was the day my exploding moka pots and bad brews ended.
I maybe made a link to a moka making mama, man. She's charming. My only youtubes are just showing the end result of good procedure.

The Mamacita: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYOv8Cbq_o :-)
My end result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ISSFtxI6U
[Reply]
Celt 09:37 PM 10-20-2008
Lip smacking good pics!!!!

Oh Crema Master of the Universe :-)
[Reply]
Steve 04:49 PM 10-22-2008
Great post, thanks!

btw, I love my little moka pot.

Yes. The way to go for outrageously good coffee out of a failsafe $20 brewer.

[Reply]
chris45set 12:14 PM 10-23-2008
So is there truly a difference between the quality of brew that is produced between a moka and a brikka?
Or is it just that the brikka seems more "idiot-proof" (a good thing for me)?
Long ago and far away I used to have a French Press, and I loved it until my wife broke it.
I have been wanting to replace the FP, but one of these bialetti's looks like a better device (and should be unbreakable to boot).
Is the brikka worth the extra $$ and does it deliver similar results as the moka?

Thanks, Chris
[Reply]
md4958 07:23 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by chris45set:
So is there truly a difference between the quality of brew that is produced between a moka and a brikka?
Or is it just that the brikka seems more "idiot-proof" (a good thing for me)?
Long ago and far away I used to have a French Press, and I loved it until my wife broke it.
I have been wanting to replace the FP, but one of these bialetti's looks like a better device (and should be unbreakable to boot).
Is the brikka worth the extra $$ and does it deliver similar results as the moka?

Thanks, Chris
I've never used the Brikka, but IMHO, no its not worth the extra $30. If you follow the excellent instructions Moo provided above you wont need a brikka.
[Reply]
coffeemonkey 12:02 AM 10-24-2008
Pots come in aluminum (don't clean them with soap),
Why shouldn't you clean with soap? If not soap, what then?

You've inspired me to pull out my mokapot and try again!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 14
< 12 3412 > Last »
Up