Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Coffee Discussion>Popcorn Popper Coffee Roasters & Grinders...
badbriar 12:03 PM 12-07-2014
Wanted to start this so as not to hijack anyone's threads. I absolutely LOVE nothing much better than a really good cup of coffee. Unfortunately, that delight comes few and far between. Personally, I'm looking to determine if the work involved is worth the effort and if I am able to achieve the high quality success many others here acclaim. As everyone here knows, the move to home roasting is likely to result in a complete shift from the old trusty Keurig. I've home brewed for years and know that the work, time and cost for a mic better beer (ales) is most definitely worthwhile!
Mark said he's using the Poppery II with success, with out modifications and that sounds most interesting! Any other poppers out there that can be used with success? I have seen that the original Poppery is good, but out of production and mostly sourced from eBay at a premium for used (questionable condition) units. What about current models?
On another note, what type of grinders are you budget minded brothers using? Blade or Burr? Lastly and this could be a long one...what Brewers/brew methods do the popper crown favor? Whew! That's a lot! :-)
[Reply]
pektel 12:07 PM 12-07-2014
Always Burr grinder. I have a Breville smart grinder. It definitely ain't the best out there, but I got a steal on it (109.xx IIRC)

Works great for me, but I'm all about French Press brewing.

I haven't looked into roasting my own yet. Only because I like coffee to be easy.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:19 PM 12-07-2014
I started with the original Poppery before upgrading to a Behmor. Worked great, if you can find them. Checkout http://www.thepeoplesroast.com for more info on using a popcorn popper. That's where I got mine. They occasionally get them in stock.

For a grinder, go with a burr grinder. I bought a Bodum which has lasted me great for the last 3 years.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 12:30 PM 12-07-2014
Do not use a popper that blows heat from one hole in the bottom, it is hard to control the roast. Get a popper that has the slits all the way around the drum because it will move the beans.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 04:18 PM 12-07-2014
Originally Posted by BlkDrew:
Do not use a popper that blows heat from one hole in the bottom, it is hard to control the roast. Get a popper that has the slits all the way around the drum because it will move the beans.
This is what Andrew is talking about Rob:

[Reply]
CoreyD 06:36 AM 12-09-2014
I myself started with a freshroast roaster it was 150$ and allowed me to learn and cool beans all with the machine before upgrading. However I know people that did the popper to behmore idea because it gave them a cheaper system and allowed them to put the money into the behmore. My method took more years,
[Reply]
ApexAZ 02:25 PM 12-15-2014
If there was a stove top popper that was similar to the whirly pop, but electric, and reasonably priced (say less than $50) would you buy one?
[Reply]
Up