Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Tea Discussion>Pu_erh Tea
Steelergar 12:21 AM 06-23-2010
I just tried some this recently. I bought it in 1 ounce cone shaped packs that was wrapped in paper. Maybee I brewed it wrong but it tasted like wax and the tea was real thick. Do you guys like this stuff?
[Reply]
Steelergar 12:37 AM 06-23-2010
After doing some reading I definitely brewed it wrong. I also used a whole cake. Anybody know how to flake it off the cake?
[Reply]
Jack1000 05:32 AM 06-23-2010
you just break some off, but in my experience it's a bit of acquired taste--in fact I hate the ones I've tried.
[Reply]
Steelergar 07:54 AM 06-23-2010
that cake is packed pretty tight. took a knife to it and it still was akward.
[Reply]
Jack1000 08:46 AM 06-23-2010
I tried to embed this, but here is a link to a video that shows how to bust up the cakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th86G...eature=related
[Reply]
Huskysibe 11:21 AM 06-23-2010
Use a letter opener and get 5-7grams per 100ml of water. Here follow this guideline for brewing, its great info.
http://www.jas-etea.com/pages/Pu%252...uidelines.html
[Reply]
novasurf 06:22 PM 06-23-2010
Just ran out of my little nest with a rose petal. Time to re-up.
[Reply]
DocLogic77 07:10 PM 06-23-2010
You used a whole cake? Pu-erh is potent. I would have been up for days. :-) I collect and age Pu-erh teas. This tea is truly wonderful with some age on it. I use a special tool that looks like a mini letter opener. I just insert it into the beeng and simply pry out a clump of tea. The key is to do as little breaking of the leaves as possible. This reduces the bitterness of the teas. I also try to seperate a bit of the clump without destroying the integrity of the leaves.

Most Pu-erhs with less than 3 years of age are undrinkable to my palate. They can taste very "farmy". Fishy taste can often be from a poorly stored beeng. With that said, Pu-erh is like a wonderful hybrid of tea and coffee. It certainly doesn't taste like any tea you are probably used to but has some herbal themes you don't get with coffee. Pu-erh though has a fuller body than any tea I have ever drank. It takes some getting used to...make sure it has some age on it then work on how you break a beeng down. Also, steeping takes a little practice and observation. Steep too long and it become undrinkable. I usually do a couple washes. Then the third I will steep no longer than 10 seconds. Right beeng, with proper age, with proper technique and you have an unreal tea experience. It's well worth the time, money and research.
[Reply]
Steelergar 12:21 AM 06-24-2010
thanks for the info. When I brewed it I used a whole cake for 7 minutes. I don't recomend it.
[Reply]
DocLogic77 09:50 AM 06-24-2010
lol...that's kinda funny. I'm sure you could have striped paint with it. :-) No problem about the info. Lots of good information out there to read up on. If you like it...the aging theory is also extremely interesting. It differs a bit in thinking from aging cigars.
[Reply]
Up